Nokia 701 Or 603 Owners Review Required

thaicbr

Hi. Do any of you have a Nokia 701 or 603. I'm interested in getting one. I currently have an android phone (zte blade) which i like. But i'm now using it for occasional wifi tethering to my samsung tab. I would like a phone that has better battery life, The blade needs recharging on a daily basis.So how is the usability, battery life etc on these Nokia phones (running Belle)do you use Joikuspot. if so how is it.Also i'm on Dtac and my current phone does not do 850mhz 3G.Thanks Allan

I have a C7 which is the predecessor of the 701 (very similar design) and it is great. GF has a new 700 and it is even greater but smaller too.

If you don't care about the camera and design, get the cheaper 603. It is a bit more simple but has otherwise similar technology as the 701. The new Symbian Belle is easy and convenient to use, even better than Symbian-Anna.

In the price range of ~10000Bt you won't find anything which can compete with Nokia. Pentaband-3G-Radio, NFC, USB OTG and the good old Nokia build quality, radio/reception quality and such. Battery with Symbian is usually better than Android or iPhone. Depends on your usage pattern of course. I charge my phone about every 3 days with light usage.

Free Nokia maps (offline navigation) works also very well, you get maps all over the world including Thailand.

Today I would buy the 701 any minute. The 3G radio is compatible worldwide, and NFC will be the next big hype of 2012 - once the iPHone will have NFC , of course :)

For a phone with larger display, the only serious competition is the Galaxy S2 or -Note.

EDIT: If you buy at Nokia Central World (or possibly other Nokia shops as well), they throw in quite a nice Bluetooth stereo headset for free. I think it is the Christmas promotion or such.

Edited by GreenSnapper

I have a C7 which is the predecessor of the 701 (very similar design) and it is great. GF has a new 700 and it is even greater but smaller too.

If you don't care about the camera and design, get the cheaper 603. It is a bit more simple but has otherwise similar technology as the 701. The new Symbian Belle is easy and convenient to use, even better than Symbian-Anna.

In the price range of ~10000Bt you won't find anything which can compete with Nokia. Pentaband-3G-Radio, NFC, USB OTG and the good old Nokia build quality, radio/reception quality and such. Battery with Symbian is usually better than Android or iPhone. Depends on your usage pattern of course. I charge my phone about every 3 days with light usage.

Free Nokia maps (offline navigation) works also very well, you get maps all over the world including Thailand.

Today I would buy the 701 any minute. The 3G radio is compatible worldwide, and NFC will be the next big hype of 2012 - once the iPHone will have NFC , of course :)

For a phone with larger display, the only serious competition is the Galaxy S2 or -Note.

EDIT: If you buy at Nokia Central World (or possibly other Nokia shops as well), they throw in quite a nice Bluetooth stereo headset for free. I think it is the Christmas promotion or such.

Thanks for the prompt answer. I have just found a problem. Joikuspot only does adhoc so Android will not connect to it. Pity I had a look at the 603 today and liked what I saw.

Thanks for the prompt answer. I have just found a problem. Joikuspot only does adhoc so Android will not connect to it. Pity I had a look at the 603 today and liked what I saw.

Correct.

That's why I have an iPad and not a Samsung Tab. They cannot do adhoc and cannot connect via BT either. Android is much overhyped.

Correct.

That's why I have an iPad and not a Samsung Tab. They cannot do adhoc and cannot connect via BT either. Android is much overhyped.

Actually. i have to correct myselfbiggrin.gif There is a way to do it on a rooted tab (mine is) and we get to use flash i do not believe Ipads can.

And some androids can connect via BT

(the Archos 70 for example, I actually liked that but only had the 70 for 7 days before upgrading to the Tab, so still looking for a crack to get it working on the tab)

I guess MiFi router isd not an option then. And not so portable.

Your left with hacking to make it work on Joiku or getting Android or WP7 phone.

MiFi routers are smaller and much less expensive than a new phone. They are very portable. Since the OP already has a phone a MiFi router might an alternative?

The OPs Android phone does support Tethering and Mobile AP, it just doesn't support 3G/850 Mhz.

A Huawei MiFi router like the Huawei E5836S supports 3G/850 Mhz and can be found for ~ 3,300 baht.

It seems weird that a Nokia phone cannot support Mobile AP, but requires some third-party software? Android has supported this functionality since 2.2.

MiFi routers are smaller and much less expensive than a new phone. They are very portable. Since the OP already has a phone a MiFi router might an alternative?

The OPs Android phone does support Tethering and Mobile AP, it just doesn't support 3G/850 Mhz.

A Huawei MiFi router like the Huawei E5836S supports 3G/850 Mhz and can be found for ~ 3,300 baht.

It seems weird that a Nokia phone cannot support Mobile AP, but requires some third-party software? Android has supported this functionality since 2.2.

OP has very good old legacy deal from DTAC so he wants to utilize that. The sim is in his phone so not practical to swap between the phone and the MiFi when your around town. Also having a phone, tablet and MiFi is adding up on the amount of stuff you carry around.

New Nokia's have hotspot build in. Rest work with app called Joiku. They just left it with app, nothing wrong with that. OP's problem is that his Android tablet connectivity is limited and doesn't support ad-hoc or whatever.

OP has very good old legacy deal from DTAC so he wants to utilize that. The sim is in his phone so not practical to swap between the phone and the MiFi when your around town. Also having a phone, tablet and MiFi is adding up on the amount of stuff you carry around.

New Nokia's have hotspot build in. Rest work with app called Joiku. They just left it with app, nothing wrong with that. OP's problem is that his Android tablet connectivity is limited and doesn't support ad-hoc or whatever.

OK, it's hard to understand all the limitations of Nokia phones sometimes; I'm just used to full features and simplicity of Android phones. So some Nokia phones support Mobile AP, and WLAN Infrastructure Mode? But not the 701/603? And if the OP buys a 701 or 603 they have to use JoikuSpot, which only supports Ad Hoc WLAN mode? Then figure out a way to get their Tablet running Ad Hoc WLAN mode?

Wouldn't it be easier, if you need a single solution, to buy a real phone which supports Mobile AP?

OK, it's hard to understand all the limitations of Nokia phones sometimes; I'm just used to full features and simplicity of Android phones. So some Nokia phones support Mobile AP, and WLAN Infrastructure Mode? But not the 701/603? And if the OP buys a 701 or 603 they have to use JoikuSpot, which only supports Ad Hoc WLAN mode? Then figure out a way to get their Tablet running Ad Hoc WLAN mode?

Wouldn't it be easier, if you need a single solution, to buy a real phone which supports Mobile AP?

Not a limitation, just that cheaper models you need to download app to use wifi hotspot. Android phone with Android tablet makes sense but OP also seems to be frustrated on Android battery life. I know, i'm android user myself laugh.gif

Fact is that for battery life and HW Nokia is still second to none.

Joikuspot is not the problem either, just that some Android devices won't work. Works with iPads, laptops etc just fine.

Not a limitation, just that cheaper models you need to download app to use wifi hotspot. Android phone with Android tablet makes sense but OP also seems to be frustrated on Android battery life. I know, i'm android user myself laugh.gif

Fact is that for battery life and HW Nokia is still second to none.

Joikuspot is not the problem either, just that some Android devices won't work. Works with iPads, laptops etc just fine.

OK, thanks for clarifying how limiting Nokia Symbian devices can be; I suspect most may not be aware of these limitations. I guess that OS cannot support Infrastructure mode WLAN and the associated security protocols.

Regarding battery life it would be good to hear from those using a 603 or 701 how the battery life is when using the 3G and JoikuSpot. Both of those probably use a bit of juice? But then it sounds like you don't use these models so maybe cannot address the OP's questions.

I still think I'd buy a real phone or a MiFi device rather than the limited Nokia Symbian device, which requires 3rd party software to address a core application?

OK, thanks for clarifying how limiting Nokia Symbian devices can be; I suspect most may not be aware of these limitations. I guess that OS cannot support Infrastructure mode WLAN and the associated security protocols.

Regarding battery life it would be good to hear from those using a 603 or 701 how the battery life is when using the 3G and JoikuSpot. Both of those probably use a bit of juice? But then it sounds like you don't use these models so maybe cannot address the OP's questions.

I still think I'd buy a real phone or a MiFi device rather than the limited Nokia Symbian device, which requires 3rd party software to address a core application?

Just wish some day were are able to discuss any brand or topic without this OS trolling.... coffee1.gif

It's hardware which can do only ad-hoc wlan. Normally it is sufficient, but most Androids cannot do it because of crappy software. My 5 year old Nokia tablet could do wifi adhoc and bluetooth tethering. IPads can do adhoc wifi too.

Mifi is nonsense - additional SIM card, additional charger, additional costs and weight.

But Lomatopo may tell us which Android phone has full hotspot and pentaband 3g-radio, costs around 10k?

Edited by GreenSnapper

It's the hardware of the built-in wlan chip which limits the use of adhoc-wlan. Many Android phones have similar chips and thus can also do adhoc only. It is cheaper and uses less battery. Fully reasonable.

Today it is standard to have either wlan tethering or bluetooth tethering. The OP's Samsung tablet can do neither and that is the major problem here.

The OP has not stated a requirement for a penta-band 3G radio, just one which supports 3G/850 Mhz. Any Android phone running 2.2 can support Mobile AP. Clearly the OS is a significant factor in this discussion?

The major problem seems to be that the OP's phone does not support 3G/850 Mhz? The OP can use Mobile AP now but can only access a 2G connection.

Neither the Nokia 603 or 701 support Mobile AP; by using 3rd party software they do allow for Ad Hoc WLAN connection sharing.

Ad Hoc WLAN is not really an ideal WiFi networking topology.

Enabling Ad Hoc WLAN on the Samsung Tablet is quite easy and straight-forward; just find the proper ad-hoc supplicant file, add it to system/bin, then long-press.

I agree that potentially having to use a second SIM is a drawback to the MiFi solution; assuming you did not want to dedicate the single DTAC SIM to the MiFi device. I might DIVERT all calls from the DTAC SIM to the new, second SIM which you would use in the phone, then use the DTAC SIM in the MiFi device. This might make simultaneous voice and data a bit more seamless?

I've only used a MiFi device for a few weeks, setting it up for someone, but found the battery to last quite a long time as it is not powering an entire phone (screen, CPU, graphics, GSM voice, etc.). It is very simple to use and was reasonably priced (3,500 baht ~ 6 months ago). It is very portable, assuming you have a briefcase or bag and can provide WiFi connectivity to both your tablet and your phone, on the go. In off-site meetings you can easily offer additional connectivity to others. And it made it easier to handle voice and data applications at the same time. But perhaps it is over-kill for the OP's applications?

FWIW, the DTAC Smartphone inFinite plan (699 baht) can be matched in the AIS offers, so broader national coverage on 900 Mhz 3G and unlimited WiFi from 15,000 APs (infrastructure mode ;) )

Offering alternative solutions hardly seems trollish? But I understand that are still many Nokia devotees who easily take umbrage at any remarks deemed negative.

The OP has not stated a requirement for a penta-band 3G radio, just one which supports 3G/850 Mhz.

The OP had exactly the problem most users of Android phones in Thailand have: their phones are limited and cannot be used with all providers, even worse: cannot be used with 3G abroad. Therefore you need a phone which supports at least quad-band. If you travel to US you need pentaband.

That's why it would be nonsense for the OP to buy another phone which supports 850 MHz, and will have the same problem later again.

But you still owe me an answer, Lomatopo: which Android of around 10K Baht can fulfill this simple requirement?

Any Android phone running 2.2 can support Mobile AP. Clearly the OS is a significant factor in this discussion?

Wrong again. Only those Android phones with the proper WLAN-chip can support a full mobile access point. Android supports this feature since about 1 year ago, before there was no way to tether to an Android phone at all.

Neither the Nokia 603 or 701 support Mobile AP; by using 3rd party software they do allow for Ad Hoc WLAN connection sharing.

Wrong again.

Actually almost all but the cheapest Nokia phones support Mobile AP. It is built in the Symbian OS. Why do you always need to give out false information, Lomatopo, even if you were corrected about that in the past?

For many years, Nokia phones allow to tether via Bluetooth or Wifi. Depending on the built in Hardware. Wifi tethering is solved by adhoc-Wifi, which is not a full Hotspot as your home router delivers. It is fully sufficient for the use it was designed for.

Adhoc-WLAN is supported by:

Windows

Mac OS

Linux

Symbian

iOS

Adhoc-WLAN is not supported by:

Android.

The hack to enable Adhoc WLAN I posted above, is working on some Android devices, but not all. It does not work on some Galaxy Tabs.

Enabling Ad Hoc WLAN on the Samsung Tablet is quite easy and straight-forward; just find the proper ad-hoc supplicant file, add it to system/bin, then long-press.

Not easy for the average user. Do you really believe, everybody will root their devices, install busybox and enter shell commands to enable a simple feature? My god.....

And to complicate things even more: the hack posted above works with Galaxy Tab 7-3G, but not the similar Galaxy-Tab-wifi.

Offering alternative solutions hardly seems trollish? But I understand that are still many Nokia devotees who easily take umbrage at any remarks deemed negative.

Snide remarks and giving out plain wrong information is the trollish part.

And the fact that OP simply asked information on specific Nokia models, has Android now so obviously is aware of it's features. And has been long gone due this same old trolling of "my OS is the only solution"...

Specific OS might be the only answer for user's needs but why the religious need to convert everyone to your requirements?

Like i said i'm Android user myself, changed from Symbian devise about a year ago. And from next week will be in WP 7.5. All ok systems with their pro's and con's, personally like Android over Symbian but i have no desire to convert every Symbian user i come across in the forums.

And no offence Loma, you pretty much answer all posts in this forum and in the process give valuable info on various topics i.e. 3G frequencies and data plans that are very helpful to many including myself.

But just chill out with the Android promotion and your dislike of Nokia, let people to decide on their own based on their preferences and requirements.

<br />And from next week will be in WP 7.5.
<br /><br />

Don't want to hijack the thread, but which phone you getting? Been keeping my eye out for a reasonably priced older WP7 phone, thinking that they might be cheaper once some of the new models hit the streets.

<br />And from next week will be in WP 7.5.
<br /><br />

Don't want to hijack the thread, but which phone you getting? Been keeping my eye out for a reasonably priced older WP7 phone, thinking that they might be cheaper once some of the new models hit the streets.

No probs, this derailed long ago laugh.gif

Will get the new Lumia 800 from Singapore, as said used Symbian devices long and got bored and then to Android. Stock HTC for a while and then some custom Rom's. Lost my phone and decided to try WP7 as Android is bit of hassle and heading to evil corporation mode with all the talk of Google abusing your info.

BTW Lumia 800 in Singapore cost around 18 - 19k THB so not bad.

Give us a review here, once you got your Lumia!

Will do some time next week.

Just realized it's micro sim so now need to find cutter to my cards and adapters to use the cut cards in other phones...

Give us a review here, once you got your Lumia!

Will do some time next week.

Just realized it's micro sim so now need to find cutter to my cards and adapters to use the cut cards in other phones...

Ouch... Micro SIM would be a deal killer for me.

And @OP: the Nokia 603 is also Micro SIM, while the 701 is normal SIM. In case it matters.

lumia 900 is coming out soon Mjo if u didn't know - http://mynokiablog.com/2011/12/15/nokia-lumia-900-render-shes-looking-sexy/comment-page-1/#comments

I'm gonna wait for that one with bigger screen, better camera and nfc. Let us know how the 800 is tho if u pick it up.

Symbian was pretty &lt;deleted&gt; before but its actually pretty good with belle now (and especially with this custom belle I'm running on my n8 runs nice and fast)

lumia 900 is coming out soon Mjo if u didn't know - http://mynokiablog.com/2011/12/15/nokia-lumia-900-render-shes-looking-sexy/comment-page-1/#comments

I'm gonna wait for that one with bigger screen, better camera and nfc. Let us know how the 800 is tho if u pick it up.

Symbian was pretty &lt;deleted&gt; before but its actually pretty good with belle now (and especially with this custom belle I'm running on my n8 runs nice and fast)