Carton Of Cigarettes - Where Cheaper? (Customs/7-Eleven/?

Yaroon

As a non-smoker I wouldnt know so i kindly request advice on where to buy a carton of LM brand cigs for friends back home in the west.

I pass customs at Suvbum airport, but there might be cheaper options for example in local stores, 7/eleven and such. Perhaps someone with knowledge can recommend me where to get the cheapest ( LM brand) ?

Thanks in advance :)

Glad I don't have a friend like Semper

But you have to be careful buying cigarettes for other people, especially here in Thailand, since the brand may be the same (L&M) but they may just be licensed from Liggett and Myers using locally obtained tobacco

The same is true both for Duty Free and at local stores. Examine the cartons carefully and you can usually determine "country of origin"

Two things I won't buy for friends (if I want them to remains friends) cigarettes or underwear

Glad I don't have a friend like Semper

But you have to be careful buying cigarettes for other people, especially here in Thailand, since the brand may be the same (L&M) but they may just be licensed from Liggett and Myers using locally obtained tobacco

The same is true both for Duty Free and at local stores. Examine the cartons carefully and you can usually determine "country of origin"

Two things I won't buy for friends (if I want them to remains friends) cigarettes or underwear

My point was that maybe he can save 10 or 20 Baht by investigating the prices of 1 carton LM in various shops. They will still be half the price than where his friends are. :)

Thats also something i do like. I have 3 connections, starting from Suvbum and if i just can walk in 7/11 and point out to the carton they have lying around I save myself this trouble including shopping at customs. I am only wondering is there is a big difference in price when i buy it in customs or buy it in shops like 7/11.

As your friends will be paying for it, why do you care how much they are? :rolleyes:

I assume that theres no gift greater than a carton of cigs other than a 21 year old Thai girl for a 60 year old hardcore-smoking guy. Checking in the girl is more expensive so will stick with the smelly sticks as i am paying for it. Marlboro is nearly 80baht, LM is 20 cheaper, so why not LM ;-)

Buying in the Gulf is cheaper than Bangkok, if you happen to be going that way.

But the advantage of buying for friends from 7-11 --- you can put them in your hold baggage and not have to hump them on and off planes.

You wouldn't buy a whole carton from 7-11; at least get it from Tesco, Makro, etc.

Question remains: Is King Power Duty Free a massive rip-off for cigarettes too?

I say 7/11, but Macro/Tesco is what i actually mean ;-) I am not stopping in the Gulf region, im passing through China and Europe before reaching my destination and wonder about the price difference between the local purchase and King power, the main reason why i started this topic :)

Whatever you do, don't wait until you're in Kingpower's grubby little claws! They do sell L&M, but at only about 20 Baht less than Tescos. If you have any small wholesale outlets around you (you know, the shops with stacks of Chang, Leo etc. for sale by the case usually to small shops and bars), thenyou should be able to pick up a carton of L&M for about 535 Baht, cheaper than either Tescos or King Power.

Just for the record, the L&M sold here are made in the Philipines under licence.

As your friends will be paying for it, why do you care how much they are? :rolleyes:

I assume that theres no gift greater than a carton of cigs other than a 21 year old Thai girl for a 60 year old hardcore-smoking guy. Checking in the girl is more expensive so will stick with the smelly sticks as i am paying for it. Marlboro is nearly 80baht, LM is 20 cheaper, so why not LM ;-)

As I said before,you can save 10-20 Baht (per carton) by doing a research. :)

Whatever you do, don't wait until you're in Kingpower's grubby little claws! They do sell L&M, but at only about 20 Baht less than Tescos. If you have any small wholesale outlets around you (you know, the shops with stacks of Chang, Leo etc. for sale by the case usually to small shops and bars), thenyou should be able to pick up a carton of L&M for about 535 Baht, cheaper than either Tescos or King Power.

Just for the record, the L&M sold here are made in the Philipines under licence.

when did king power start selling L and M ? , they havent been for the past 5 years, unless something has changed in the last month or so

when did king power start selling L and M ? , they havent been for the past 5 years, unless something has changed in the last month or so

Last went through Swampy about a year ago, and found L&M on sale at several of the smaller Duty Free stalls. Agreed that I've never seen them in the main shops in the middle of the concourse, but there are scores of tiny stalls all around the airport (all owned by King Power who have the monopoly for Duty Free) several of which had L&M.

Last went through Swampy about a year ago, and found L&M on sale at several of the smaller Duty Free stalls. Agreed that I've never seen them in the main shops in the middle of the concourse, but there are scores of tiny stalls all around the airport (all owned by King Power who have the monopoly for Duty Free) several of which had L&M.

hmm i have been through there maybe 20 times, main duty and the smaller duty, and never seen , and i have asked, and get the same answer, we dont sell l and m,

Couple of months back they had signs everywhere "no L&M no Marlboro". Been like that donkeys years so don't count on duty free. Same with customs, doubt they sell those they collect on arrivals laugh.gif