Does Anyone Have Iphone 4S- How Do You Find Siri?

ExpatJ

• 3 weeks later...

I have heard that you can only really get the full use of it if you live in the USA........this may change in the near future or when the Iphone 5 comes out. smile.png

Some things don't work in "unsupported" counties because there is no data available. For example, "find me the nearest Italian restaurant" - in the USA, they use Yelp! or another such service to find restaurants - no Yelp in Thailand, yet.

Anything that doesn't rely on location data being available works just fine. Setting reminders, calling someone, creating meetings, etc.

The other thing of course is that SIRI doesn't work in Thai. So if Apple sell it in Thailand, they can't advertise it as a feature - what good is it to a Thai person when it doesn't work in Thai. You can't sell speech recognition software that doesn't work with the local language...

Sorry to repeat, as I posted this in another thread, but just in case you didn't see it:

I wasn't sure whether I would use Siri much, but now that I have it, it's worth the price of admission for me. While Siri doesn't do location based searches in Thailand [yet?], it saves loads of time and multiple taps when you need to call someone, send a text, or set an appointment in your calendar. It's also a great time waster right now, although I am sure the novelty will wear off. You can ask Siri silly questions and the replies are fun. Ask her "what are you wearing", and she comes back with "Aluminosilicate glass and stainless steel. Nice, huh?". Say that famous line from 2001 "Siri, open the pod bay doors" and you get "I'm sorry [your name]. I'm afraid I can't do that. Are you happy now?". There is a whole site of Siri-isms here: http://sirisays.org/

Regarding location services, you cannot use it for "Where can I get a pizza". But if you are in, say, the USA, you can ask:

"Where can I find a hooker" or

"I need to get drunk"

and you will actually get proper references!

Also, the original release only has voice recognition for American English. I know British and Aussie English versions were to be made fairly soon -- not sure if they're out yet? If not, that might also be a "restriction" for Siri for some users.

Also, the original release only has voice recognition for American English. I know British and Aussie English versions were to be made fairly soon -- not sure if they're out yet? If not, that might also be a "restriction" for Siri for some users.

American, Australian and UK English are all options in Siri settings on the iPhone 4S that I just received. The only other options presently available are French and German

• 3 months later...

American, Australian and UK English are all options in Siri settings on the iPhone 4S that I just received. The only other options presently available are French and German

I also have an Japanese option on mine, just waiting for the Scottish accent version then I will be sorted. laugh.pnglaugh.png

Regards

it works fine but its rather useless, unless you have some kind of "right accent"

None of the thai names in the phone book ever work, also siri gets mixed up with numbers.

i am pretty sure though its something about the accent

it works fine but its rather useless, unless you have some kind of "right accent"

None of the thai names in the phone book ever work, also siri gets mixed up with numbers.

If you want to go through the trouble, I think you can set vocal names in the phone book, e.g. you can set how a name is pronounced for a contact by speaking the name out loud, and after that SIRI will find those entries...

If you want to go through the trouble, I think you can set vocal names in the phone book, e.g. you can set how a name is pronounced for a contact by speaking the name out loud, and after that SIRI will find those entries...

are you sure?, because i could not find that function,

are you sure?, because i could not find that function,

In your address book, you can enter a phonetically spelled name in the "Nuckname" field and Siri will find it for you, assuming it understands your accent and the way you spelled it.

I also have an Japanese option on mine, just waiting for the Scottish accent version then I will be sorted. laugh.pnglaugh.png

Regards

Looks like Apple have not quite sorted it yet!

I can't find that option...do you know where it is?

• 2 weeks later...

I have heard that you can only really get the full use of it if you live in the USA........this may change in the near future or when the Iphone 5 comes out. smile.png

Some things don't work in "unsupported" counties because there is no data available. For example, "find me the nearest Italian restaurant" - in the USA, they use Yelp! or another such service to find restaurants - no Yelp in Thailand, yet.

Anything that doesn't rely on location data being available works just fine. Setting reminders, calling someone, creating meetings, etc.

The other thing of course is that SIRI doesn't work in Thai. So if Apple sell it in Thailand, they can't advertise it as a feature - what good is it to a Thai person when it doesn't work in Thai. You can't sell speech recognition software that doesn't work with the local language...

So basically its really only targeted at the US market at present until Apple get there software up to speed other than using reminders and alarms Siri basically useless outside the States!

So basically its really only targeted at the US market at present until Apple get there software up to speed other than using reminders and alarms Siri basically useless outside the States!

Not just in the USA. Siri can be set for Australian, British or American English, and also French, German, and Japanese.

I can't find that option...do you know where it is?

You can set a nickname in your contact listing. Using that field, you can provide a phonetic spelling for non-English names that Siri will recognise and find. I use this method for frequently called Thai names and it works.