Thai Women Among World's Most Abused

frond

A really sad story that seems to tie-in with the many posts on domestic violence on this forum. I wonder what the outcome would be for farang women polled regarding domestic violence would be. Frankly, I'm disgusted by any man that would do something like this to a woman. They aren't human...they're scum.

Thai women among world’s most abused, survey says

Published on November 25, 2005

The first ever global study on domestic violence has revealed that physical abuse by an intimate partner is the most common form of violence against women and is more widespread than assault or rape by strangers or acquaintances.

The World Health Organisation (WHO) study revealed the massive toll that physical and sexual violence by husbands and partners has on the health and well being of women around the world and the extent to which such violence is hidden.

In Thailand, about 65 per cent of all women who have been physically or sexually assaulted have had the acts perpetrated by their partners.

The study was conducted among 24,000 women from rural and urban areas in Thailand, Bangladesh, Brazil, Ethiopia, Japan, Namibia, Peru, Serbia and Montenegro, Samoa and Tanzania.

Thailand ranked fourth among the 10 countries, with Ethiopia on top with a rating of 91 per cent.

“The first ever conducted in Thailand on this issue, the study has given us a better understanding of the extent of violence that women experience here, said Dr Churnrurtai Kanchanachitra from Mahidol University, a member of the study team.

“The findings helped us develop a national plan for the elimination of violence against women and children,” he said.

Dr Claudia Garcia Moreno, WHO’s study coordinator, said domestic violence can be prevented and governments and communities need to mobilise to fight this widespread public-health crisis.

The study found that a quarter to one half of the respondents who were physically assaulted by their partners were twice as likely to have poor health and physical and mental problems as non-abused women, even if the violence occurred years before.

This includes suicidal thoughts and attempts, the study claimed.

Women who were physically or sexually abused by a partner were also more likely to have had at least one induced abortion or miscarriage than those who were not abused.

Although pregnancy is often considered a time when women should be protected, in most study locations between 4 and 12 per cent of women reported being beaten during pregnancy More than 90 per cent of those were abused by the father of the unborn child and between a quarter and half of them were kicked or punched in the abdomen..

The abuse remains largely hidden with at least 20 per cent of the women interviewed revealing that they never reported physical violence against them.

Despite the health consequences, between 55 per cent and 95 per cent never sought help from formal agencies such as health clinics, police or other people in authority. Those who did seek formal support tended to be the most severely abused.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2005/11/25...s_19253711.html

A really sad story that seems to tie-in with the many posts on domestic violence on this forum. I wonder what the outcome would be for farang women polled regarding domestic violence would be. Frankly, I'm disgusted by any man that would do something like this to a woman. They aren't human...they're scum.

Yeah, yeah, yeah - me too, me too.....

In Thailand, about 65 per cent of all women who have been physically or sexually assaulted have had the acts perpetrated by their partners.

Yet another example of a survey without much useful information. It would have been a lot more interesting to know how many women have actually been subjected to physical and sexual assaults. As two separate figures.

The above figure of 65% - did they find 3 women who had been assaulted and two of them had been assaulted by their partners? And even if it is a large number of women, should we aim to have this percentage increased or reduced? (Think carefully before answering).

What about women being assaulted by fathers, brothers, relatives - are they not counted?

A good article would have stated something like "out of xxxx women surveyed across Thailand, xxxx% reported have been sexually assaulted, of which xx% of the assaults were carried out by their partners and xx% by friends or family members. Furthermore, xxx% reported to have been subjected to physically assaulted (excluding sexual assaults), of which xx% reporting that the perpetrator was a partner and xx% being assaulted by a friend or family member."

Also, the survey needs to separate between types of sexual assault (having you @ss touched in a bar vs. gang rape) and define what constitutes a physical assault.

Despite the health consequences, between 55 per cent and 95 per cent never sought help from formal agencies such as health clinics, police or other people in authority.

What - between 55 and 95%??? :o

I am sorry if I come across as a heartless b@stard, let me assure you I am not, but information without credibility is worse than no information at all. In fact, since this survey was carried out by the WHO, I am sure the relevant numbers are there, it was probably more a matter of the writer not having the brains to extract the data relevant to Thailand. The subject is serious, and deserves a more careful analysis.

WS

Edited by WhiteShiva

I agree with WhiteShiva, without a better understanding of where the figures come from & what demographic they were obtained then the report is a bit flaky. I agree though, the womens rights in Thailand need to be improved 1000 fold & the government needs to start providing the chance of escape for abused women & children. As much as the great leader likes to think he is part of the 1st world, until humna rights, childrens right & social welfare is improved, Thailand will continue to be a developing country & a 1st world wannabee. :o

I would have thought Pakistani or Afghan women were worse off.

Some time ago I read a report on women being abused in Pakistan (Sorry no link) and I just find it hard to believe that Thailands problems with abuse even comes close to some of the horrific things that I read in the report.

Don’t get me wrong. I’m not undermining the W.H.O’s figures. Just saying it’s hard to believe.

Edited by Sunshine

Seems like a pretty small list of places to survey too, to then add the phrase that thai women are among the "worlds most abused". Since when does the world consist of 10 nations?

That said, this country would go alot further if all human rights were respected (not just women but men and children too).

The sad fact is that there is not a country in the world where women are NOT abused, have never been abused and will always be abused.

True. Abuse exists in all countries. However, statistics vary among countries. Let’s say in one country 15% of women are abused, and in another country 80% of women are abused. 80% is definitely worse than 15%. It leaves me wonder what are the factors that facilitate abuse and whether nothing can be done about it.

By the way, did you mean to write "...and will NEVER be abused"? I guess the statement is true either way. :o

Yes, I thought the percentile numbers were strange as well. Nevertheless, no matter how off the numbers are why would anyone want to falsify their status as 4th in the world for abused women?

Even the so-called "first world" countries (only an economic designation, as far as I know) have horrible human rights records. America, anyone?

There shouldn't be more rights just for Thai women, but for all Thai people.

There is some good news though--there are more Thai women in executive positions than in any other country in Asia, but I'm sure it isn't easy.

Update:

Children, women abuses rise

BANGKOK: -- The number of abuses against children and women has risen sharply to 28 cases a day this year from just five cases in 2002.

"Many victims are younger than five years old," Public Health Minister Pinij Charusombat said Monday at the First National Symposium on Eliminating Domestic Violence.

More than 600 participants attended the symposium, which was held by Health Service Support Department and Thai Health Promotion Foundation.

Pinij was referring to statistics from rescue units at 97 hospitals across the country. Up to 10,241 children and women came to seek assistance from these units between January and October this year - or about 28 victims a day.

About 5,109 victims were younger than 18 years old and of them, 351 were younger than five years old.

"The most common form of violence against the children and women - or about half of the recorded cases are sexual abuses," Pinij said.

Other common forms were physical violence, infliction of mental harm, neglect and abandonment. The abusers were close friends and husbands.

--The Nation 2005-11-28

I think it is quite possible that more people are coming forward to report abuse rather than an increase in the abuse itself. The more people who report abuse, the more stats & publicitywill be generated, which in the long run can only have a positive affect as help can only be given when the situation gets more exposure & forces the government to put procedures in place.

Update:

Children, women abuses rise

BANGKOK: -- The number of abuses against children and women has risen sharply to 28 cases a day this year from just five cases in 2002.

"Many victims are younger than five years old," Public Health Minister Pinij Charusombat said Monday at the First National Symposium on Eliminating Domestic Violence.

More than 600 participants attended the symposium, which was held by Health Service Support Department and Thai Health Promotion Foundation.

Pinij was referring to statistics from rescue units at 97 hospitals across the country. Up to 10,241 children and women came to seek assistance from these units between January and October this year - or about 28 victims a day.

About 5,109 victims were younger than 18 years old and of them, 351 were younger than five years old.

"The most common form of violence against the children and women - or about half of the recorded cases are sexual abuses," Pinij said.

Other common forms were physical violence, infliction of mental harm, neglect and abandonment. The abusers were close friends and husbands.

--The Nation 2005-11-28

Is it an increase in events or an increase in the abused getting treatment, as opposed to self treatment at home? A lot of abusing goes unreported, for various reasons. I hate reading things like this. When I was a kid I was a one time victim, of a stranger, i feel for them.

Even the so-called "first world" countries (only an economic designation, as far as I know) have horrible human rights records. America, anyone?  ....

There is some good news though--there are more Thai women in executive positions than in any other country in Asia, but I'm sure it isn't easy.

That's because it's not really about human rights at this point, but institutions. Modern institutions in Asia that tout patron-client relationships are far less developed in countries such as Thailand. As an example, just think of some "friendly" pervavsive institutions such as the police, justice ministry, or even marriage as an example. In so far as your question: "America anyone?", just skip back in history a bit and you can ask the same question of any "ruling" colonial (aka today's imperalist): England anyone? In the future, we'll probably be asking: China or India, anyone?

As for the executives, I guess it doesn't differ much from the CEOS or PMs - they are usually someone's daughter, wife, or sister in Asia. It is a system run by nepostism and family influence, and in some cases that works out well for female family members.

... Boo, I am well aware that some farangs are no angels but the point of this thread and my reply is that the majority of thai men are like this and a proportionaly larger number of men from western countries (with the exclusion of Russia)

Thai men are on the whole lazy, spoilt, immature and jealous little shits.

many of the "real" farang men here take on an uncanny resembelance to the worst Thai males that they enjoy holding in their contempt: abusive, lazy, and status-oriented, except in their case they derive their esteem from how little their wives or girlfriends weigh.

edit - deleted extra words

Edited by kat