Thailand Set To Become Asia's Shopping Hub: Siam Piwat Boss

webfact

My eldest brother and his wife were passing through BKK. So we went up to meet them and have a day out. They were last here 15 years ago. My SIL could not believe how expensive it had become here. They are not poor. Rather the money types Thailand would wish it had more of.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have lived in Hong Kong, Singapore, Korea, and now Thailand. Hong kong has no sales tax, no VAT, and no import duty on all items except cigarettes, liquor, and cosmetics, autos and a few other things. Thus global fashion brand name items of clothing, jewelry, watches, etc. are cheaper there than in their home countries and HK is thus a shopping hub.

Thailand on the other hand has huge import duties on almost everything in a silly attempt to protect local businesses which do not compete directly with the imports and/or as a government enforced barrier to force the locals to buy shoddy locally made products.

The idea of Thailand being a shopping hub is ridiculous and will remain that way until the powers that be understand that import duties are the barrier and eliminate them. My guestimate - not in this lifetime or the next.

:rolleyes:

I find the clothing in Thailand expensive and of poor quality. I'm not talking the knockoffs either. Sorry, but I stock up on my undies, socks and casual wear at a North American chain like Old Navy/Gap/Banana Republic. E.g., the boxers are 100% cotton, fit, and last awhile. I was in Toronto, Canada a couple months ago and the Bay, which is owned by some big US company had quality dress shirts marked down to way below what they would have cost me at Robinsons, plus they had my size and they were 100% high grade cotton. . I bought my laptop and accessories in North America because of price, options and the ability to purchase bonafide software fee of malware. Many of my suits come from a Hong Kong tailor that understands how to make an English cut suit. The last time I purchased shoes in Thailand I ended up with expensive, poor quality, ill fitting crap that sits in the closet now. The home electronics available at most stores is the same crap dumped in Walmarts worldwide and it meets the same quality standards, i.e. it breaks quickly.

What exactly do they plan on selling?

Most tourists aren't buying much except for some of the knockoffs and those that return never buy much again after they learn that Thai garments shrink , fade and disintegrate quickly as they are not made to the same specs as for the export market. I can only buy so many silk bedspreads and table clothes. Baby clothes in Thailand often do not get tested to meet the flamability standards of the west. And on and on it goes. Sorry, but the domestic retail market doesn't offer the quality, sizes and selection found in western countries. I don't think Chinese or Indian tourists are going to go shopping and there is no way a Japanese visitor is going to buy crap.

You are 100% right, Let me tell you what i found out in 11 years living here and buying stuff here as well, Due the nature of my work, I do alot of flying around across the region, Lived in Dubai for some time and still do regular visits to my parents over there, I really stopped buying any thing here in Thailand due it's crazy un-understandable price hike! I mean What in gods name these guys are doing?! Some prices here are 300 times more expensive then other places, Sure i'm not talking about the knockoffs, I mean the top brands. got a baby stroller from dubai 1000 Dh ( about 8600 Baht ) Found it in here in Central as i recall for 15,000 baht ! bed duvet in Abu Dhabi 2500 Dhs, Found it here for 40,000 Baht !! and the list goes on, My nespresso coffee capsules in dubai are sold for 23 Dh (180 baht), Here they are sold for 360 baht ( 46 Dh ), And the list goes on, Went to one of claimed top shopping malls - i think it was Emporium - and tried to do some house grocery at the market which located at the top and i was shocked to find that most of the stuff over there are nearly very close - 2 or 3 months - to their expiration dates ! I mean, <deleted> sorry.gif are these guys in this country smokes or drinks blink.gif? it's has been 2 years now that i stopped buying my daily food from Thailand, PERIOD. Prices of cars here makes me wanna puke bah.gif. Quality is another issue here. My Advice to any one who wants to do any shopping here is, If you want to buy Top brands, Go to sing, HK, Dubai if it's possible, Thailand is for cheap sold on the street stuff. As Thailand to be a shopping hub, I really doubt that, To be a shopping hub, They need first a complete reshuffle of the policies and regulations that are placed here in relation to business and market workforce, In my 11 yrs here, I'm yet to find a staff in any mall that really knows what the hell i want or assess me choosing the goods.

Edited by metisdead
Please do not post in all capital letters, bold, unusual fonts, sizes or colors. It can be difficult to read.

And PLEASE stop calling Prada upmarket fashion brand with shoes made in Vietnam and clothing made in Bulgaria...

Sorry to disappoint but all of the luxury brands have outsourced

No, not all, there's plenty of REAL luxury companies that makes high-quality products and everything in-house. Prada doesn't qualify as a luxury brand, only by price for some people.

I used to own 12 boutiques for about 15 years and during that time I've seen hundreds of brands from around the world. So I believe I understand the problem a little...

There's a big difference between so-called luxury brands (Prada, Gucci, LV...) and REAL luxury brands (Hermes, Valentino, Chanel...).

I find the clothing in Thailand expensive and of poor quality. I'm not talking the knockoffs either. Sorry, but I stock up on my undies, socks and casual wear at a North American chain like Old Navy/Gap/Banana Republic. E.g., the boxers are 100% cotton, fit, and last awhile. I was in Toronto, Canada a couple months ago and the Bay, which is owned by some big US company had quality dress shirts marked down to way below what they would have cost me at Robinsons, plus they had my size and they were 100% high grade cotton. . I bought my laptop and accessories in North America because of price, options and the ability to purchase bonafide software fee of malware. Many of my suits come from a Hong Kong tailor that understands how to make an English cut suit. The last time I purchased shoes in Thailand I ended up with expensive, poor quality, ill fitting crap that sits in the closet now. The home electronics available at most stores is the same crap dumped in Walmarts worldwide and it meets the same quality standards, i.e. it breaks quickly.

Most tourists aren't buying much except for some of the knockoffs and those that return never buy much again after they learn that Thai garments shrink , fade and disintegrate quickly as they are not made to the same specs as for the export market. I can only buy so many silk bedspreads and table clothes. Baby clothes in Thailand often do not get tested to meet the flamability standards of the west. And on and on it goes. Sorry, but the domestic retail market doesn't offer the quality, sizes and selection found in western countries. I don't think Chinese or Indian tourists are going to go shopping and there is no way a Japanese visitor is going to buy crap.

You feeling OK today GK? I was waiting for your input and am astonished at you being in agreement with everyone. Suppose there is a first time for everything

• Like 1

You are 100% right, Let me tell you what i found out in 11 years living here and buying stuff here as well, Due the nature of my work, I do alot of flying around across the region, Lived in Dubai for some time and still do regular visits to my parents over there, I really stopped buying any thing here in Thailand due it's crazy un-understandable price hike! I mean What in gods name these guys are doing?! Some prices here are 300 times more expensive then other places, Sure i'm not talking about the knockoffs, I mean the top brands. got a baby stroller from dubai 1000 Dh ( about 8600 Baht ) Found it in here in Central as i recall for 15,000 baht ! bed duvet in Abu Dhabi 2500 Dhs, Found it here for 40,000 Baht !! and the list goes on, My nespresso coffee capsules in dubai are sold for 23 Dh (180 baht), Here they are sold for 360 baht ( 46 Dh ), And the list goes on, Went to one of claimed top shopping malls - i think it was Emporium - and tried to do some house grocery at the market which located at the top and i was shocked to find that most of the stuff over there are nearly very close - 2 or 3 months - to their expiration dates ! I mean, <deleted> sorry.gif are these guys in this country smokes or drinks blink.gif? it's has been 2 years now that i stopped buying my daily food from Thailand, PERIOD. Prices of cars here makes me wanna puke bah.gif. Quality is another issue here. My Advice to any one who wants to do any shopping here is, If you want to buy Top brands, Go to sing, HK, Dubai if it's possible, Thailand is for cheap sold on the street stuff. As Thailand to be a shopping hub, I really doubt that, To be a shopping hub, They need first a complete reshuffle of the policies and regulations that are placed here in relation to business and market workforce, In my 11 yrs here, I'm yet to find a staff in any mall that really knows what the hell i want or assess me choosing the goods.

Great comments!

I live in Hong Kong and though prices went up over the past few years (also in Dubai), it's still the best location (imho) to do some serious shopping. Plenty to choose from and big sizes too (I mean normal big sizes, not xxxxxl).

I'm in Thailand often but I only buy daily necesities and nothing else. Foreign food is more expensive here than anywhere else I've ever been and if my mom knows how much I'm paying for foreign hams, cheeses and vegetable she'd probably kill me...

One example about car prices here...My Porsche Cayenne Turbo, new and fully loaded is THB 5M in Europe, here they ask for THB 19.2M...

Thailand will NEVER be Asia's shopping hub and I'm willing to bet on it everything I have...

Sorry to correct you.. but "The Bay" is not and has never been owned by any USA Company or Corporation.. It is Purely Canadian!

Wikipedia - Hudson's Bay Company

The Hudson's Bay Company (French: Compagnie de la Baie d'Hudson), abbreviated HBC, or "The Bay" ("La Baie" in French) is the oldest commercial corporation in North America and one of the oldest in the world. A fur trading business for much of its existence, today Hudson's Bay Company owns and operates retail stores throughout Canada. The company is headquartered in the Simpson Tower in Toronto, Ontario.

The company was incorporated by English royal charter in 1670 as The Governor and Company of Adventurers of England trading into Hudson's Bay and functioned as the de facto government in parts of North America before European states and later the United States laid claim to those territories. It was at one time the largest landowner in the world, with Rupert's Land having 15% of North American acreage. From its long time headquarters at York Factory on Hudson Bay, the company controlled the fur trade throughout much of British-controlled North America for several centuries. Undertaking early exploration, its traders and trappers forged early relationships with many groups of First Nations/Native Americans. Its network of trading posts formed the nucleus for later official authority in many areas of Western Canada and the United States. In the late 19th century, its vast territory became the largest component in the newly formed Dominion of Canada, in which the company was the largest private landowner.

Your welcome,

Oopps... Sorry again.. Missed this little tidbit of recent info... I was living in Bangkok at the time.... I stand corrected:

The U.S. firm NRDC Equity Partners, LLC, owner of American department store chain Lord & Taylor, announced its purchase of the company on July 16, 2008.[9]

CS

Edited by CosmicSurfer

Thank God. I was worried where all the people that were flying through the airport transportation hub on their way to the movie studio hub or waiting for their surgery at the medical hub or going to school at the education hub were going to do with their free time and uncountable loads of cash. It was either shopping at the shopping hub or soi cowboy.

Excellent!! Don't forget the arts and crafts hub, the automotive hub, the furniture hub, the health spa hub, and the electronics hub.

A few other hubbubs of note:

• health/medical hub
  • fashion hub
  • regional rail and road hub
  • tourism hub
  • golf hub
  • movie production hub
  • ethanol trading hub
  • auto export hub
  • IT hub

and so it goes on, or doesn't... laugh.gif

You forgot the "Asian hub of books" they announced recently.

Which is quite fast advancing, yesterday in the BTS I have seen a woman reading a book.

Ahh a new hub of HUBs.

Please, let us know how you best depart with your money and we will instantly create the Asian hub to support it.

Prices will always be fair, and you will see no copies or rip-offs in our hubs.

All we need now, is another inflated number from TAT, then the day is complete.

Oh and another estimate ( wild guess ) of the cost of the flood.

Bought a Braun electric shaver in Singapore a couple of weeks ago for 3,000 baht. Same machine in Robinson is going for 4,990. It's like that.

The quality may be different.

And if you buy in Thailand, you can service/repair in Thailand.

Also, equipment bought in Singapore comes with those awful super big British plug, which need an awful super big adapter.

Brought some hair trimmers from the UK, bought a simple effective adaptor at Panthip Electronic her in Ranong, very cheap. ;)

Cut the cable near the plug.

Attach a new plug, sourced at the local hardware shop.

15 baht - done.

LOL

very funny, Singapore beats BKK by far already.

And maybe they should take a look in Jakarta for Plaza Indonesia and Plaza Senayan / Senayan City for once, those are big, modern and multi branded malls with English speaking and service oriented staff...

Not to mention Mall of Asia in Manila, big as hell.

BKK beats Hanoi, Saigon and Yangon still though...

Don't make me laugh, Bkk has the most and best supersized malls in the whole of Southeast Asia!!!!!! You should count them!!whistling.gif

LOL

very funny, Singapore beats BKK by far already.

And maybe they should take a look in Jakarta for Plaza Indonesia and Plaza Senayan / Senayan City for once, those are big, modern and multi branded malls with English speaking and service oriented staff...

Not to mention Mall of Asia in Manila, big as hell.

BKK beats Hanoi, Saigon and Yangon still though...

Don't make me laugh, Bkk has the most and best supersized malls in the whole of Southeast Asia!!!!!! You should count them!!whistling.gif

Make you laugh?!!! You made me laugh already laugh.gif,,,,,, Dude, supersize maybe yes but best,,,ummmmmm you should visit HK, sing, mal, and indo !!

Supersized malls with supersized prices. Paying 25-40% mark ups on products is a rip off especially when you can buy things for much cheaper prices in Hong Kong and Singapore.

And PLEASE stop calling Prada upmarket fashion brand with shoes made in Vietnam and clothing made in Bulgaria...

Sorry to disappoint but all of the luxury brands have outsourced

I have a genuine Boss Tshirt. Bought in the UK, made in Thailand?

How many people buy genuine branded clothes here? I don't. You just have to feel the quality of the knock off gear. I bought a load of Tshirts here 5yrs ago. They are mostly washed weekly and still in good shape.

jb1

jb1

Edited by jimbeam1

Bought a Braun electric shaver in Singapore a couple of weeks ago for 3,000 baht. Same machine in Robinson is going for 4,990. It's like that.

The quality may be different.

And if you buy in Thailand, you can service/repair in Thailand.

Also, equipment bought in Singapore comes with those awful super big British plug, which need an awful super big adapter.

Brought some hair trimmers from the UK, bought a simple effective adaptor at Panthip Electronic her in Ranong, very cheap. ;)

Cut the cable near the plug.

Attach a new plug, sourced at the local hardware shop.

15 baht - done.

Oh no now he has to buy a pair of scissors and a screw driver ----------------------------------

Tesco --Big C, easy buy an extension gang socket -choose the one with the multiple female ins. can get 1 metre-2 metre-3 metre 5 metre . DONE