Surapong Accused Of Dishonesty

Lite Beer

Surapong accused of dishonesty

The Nation on Sunday

30172106-01_big.jpg

The Democrat Party yesterday accused incumbent Foreign Minister Surapong Towichukchaikul and ex-foreign minister Noppadon Pattama of dishonesty and unscrupulousness in regard to the issuing of a passport to fugitive former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

Party spokesman Chavanond Intarakomalyasut said the Foreign Ministry's standards and credibility would be undermined by the passport issue. He called on ministry officials with confidential information regarding the matter to make disclosures, saying they would compromise their dignity if they stayed silent.

He said Surapong had lied publicly in remarks he made during an interview on December 3 on the passport issue, as the document had already been approved on October 26, one day after a request submitted by Thaksin was received by the ministry. He said Noppadon had also lied when he said Thaksin was unaware of the ministry's attempt to reissue him a passport.

He warned that the ministry would be held responsible for bureaucratic wrongdoings in case Thaksin was aware, contrary to Noppadon's statement, because it requires the fingerprints of the passport holder. "If the fingerprints are not Thaksin's, whose fingerprints are on the passport?" he asked.

Chavanond said that as per the rules, a passport could not be issued to anyone wanted in a criminal case, or to someone on an arrest warrant or a blacklist barring travel abroad - all the stipulations apply to Thaksin, he said.

He also called on Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra to take responsibility for Surapong's action, and warned that if she refused to, the passport issue would mark the beginning of the end for the Pheu Thai-led government.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-12-18

1324170364[/url]' post='4919469']

"Sh_t..... charging a man with [dishonesty] in this place was like handing out speeding tickets in the Indy 500."

In the land of 'face before all else' it is a pretty big public face slap. Wait for the threats to sue coming shortly.. Yada yada yada and etc. Another family member thrown to the dogs by that Kuhn T.

Edited by animatic

How could he be dishonest? He is a politician working for EX PM Thaksin. :lol:

From Surapong's very first week in office:

"No, I have not been in contact with Thaksin," he said, "I have taken up this appointment because I am going to work for the country."

"I will do what is right."

Foreign Minister Surapong Towichakchaikul in contact with Thaksin.... errr, rather "not in contact" with Thaksin in Dubai.

online_n2-1.jpg

29A_.jpg

Edited by Buchholz

Of course he's dishonest. It's a cultural trait.

I think they picked it up from Thaksin's close association with Cambodia.

Seriously though it is a prerequisite to being in politics.

The trick is in finding the least dishonest one.Not a big demand for that in many Asian nations.:(

Edited by hellodolly

Of course he's dishonest. It's a cultural trait.

More so, it's his genetic trait.

Are you saying that the Thai people have a genetic disposition towards being dishonest? If so, that's a very racist statement .... or it's a major breakthrough in the science of genetics if you can prove it.

Edited by HerbalEd

Are you saying that the Thai people have a genetic disposition towards being dishonest? If so, that's a very racist statement .... or it's a major breakthrough in the science of genetics if you can prove it.

I took Buchholz's remark as a reference to Surapong and Thaksin being cousins.

I took Buchholz's remark as a reference to Surapong and Thaksin being cousins.

It's appreciated when posters put a modicum of thought into their posts.

Thank you.