Mexican Food

FlyByNights

Patong Deli - http://www.delisuper...t+%21&all_b_f=0

// reading that again. Soft corn tortillas ?? Is there such a thing, only heard of hard shell. Deli has the soft flour tortillas.

Yes there is such a thing a soft corn tortillas. They are fried in hot oil and then they become hard. They are then known as tostadas when cut into triangle like pieces before hand, or hard taco shells if they are bent upon frying.

I usually get them a Villa. Danitas, corn and flour. And yes I fry them for tacos and tostadas.

// reading that again. Soft corn tortillas ?? Is there such a thing, only heard of hard shell. Deli has the soft flour tortillas.

Yes there is such a thing a soft corn tortillas. They are fried in hot oil and then they become hard. They are then known as tostadas when cut into triangle like pieces before hand, or hard taco shells if they are bent upon frying.

I usually get them a Villa. Danitas, corn and flour. And yes I fry them for tacos and tostadas.

Maybe I shouldn't have posted that information... They were out of both kinds of tortillas today!

The real question is: why would you want Mexican food that is NOT Tex-Mex?!

Deesquared from San Antonio

Because some people want authentic Mexican food. Not Tex Mex. Tex-Mex food is a name used to describe dishes that are found in the state of Texas that is primarily American. It blends available foods in the United States with traditional Mexican cuisine. Some of the Tex-Mex foods may differ from actual Mexican dishes, but are still referred to Mexican dishes in Texas.

I am not saying Tex Mex is bad, but I prefer more authentic Mexican food, sauces, and ingredients. I am just a little bored of all the ground beef and tomato sauces....

What is Tex Mex? I'm from California and have traveled to Mexico many times, but I've never been to Texas... Is it Americanized Mexican food or what? I like the real thing where the people who don't speak English go. Same for Thai food.

What is Tex Mex? I'm from California and have traveled to Mexico many times, but I've never been to Texas... Is it Americanized Mexican food or what? I like the real thing where the people who don't speak English go. Same for Thai food.

Jimi007, my take is that the ingredients are not so much different regarding Tex-Mex vs. Cali-Mex, but there are some differences in the actual dishes offered. I have family in Dallas and when I visited I did like one thing they call there, "chalupas". These are sort of like mini-tostadas; small fried flour tortilla discs, layer of beans, layer of meat choice, lettuce, tomato, guacamole, covered with cheese. Can't say I've ever seen those on a Mex menu in CA.

Might correlate it to the different regional foods here in Thailand.

Jimi007, my take is that the ingredients are not so much different regarding Tex-Mex vs. Cali-Mex, but there are some differences in the actual dishes offered. I have family in Dallas and when I visited I did like one thing they call there, "chalupas". These are sort of like mini-tostadas; small fried flour tortilla discs, layer of beans, layer of meat choice, lettuce, tomato, guacamole, covered with cheese. Can't say I've ever seen those on a Mex menu in CA.

Might correlate it to the different regional foods here in Thailand.

Well, I guess, kind of. There are different regional foods throughout Mexico too...

I didn't know they have a website. Thanks.

When I was growing up all my mother ever used was soft corn as opposed to the hard corn shells. She would put them in hot oil for 10 or 15 seconds to heat them and they stay soft. Some she would fry hard and sprinkle with cheese and eat like that or make tostadas. She also fried some flour tortillas hard and sprinkled those with cinnamon and sugar to snack on later.

I make my own flour tortillas. Most times I use whole wheat flour. They are a bit chewier but still good and easy to make. I would make my own corn if I could find masa flour. I make my own beans too. I like to mix some black beans with the pinto beans. I just wish I could make my own cheese the stuff is like gold here. I can't find taco sauce either so have to make salsa. Lucky we have all the fresh produce to make that here.

I went to BBQ Hut last month. I like the food, but I ordered a side of guacamole and it cost me 150B. I won't make that mistake again. I mean an avocado is 49-59B in the store and the portion I got sure did not use even half of an avocado. But I like the food there and will still go if I want a Mexican fix and don't feel like cooking.

Edited by Pakaty

<snip>I went to BBQ Hut last month. I like the food, but I ordered a side of guacamole and it cost me 150B.

Are they still open ?? Are you talking about the place in Rat-u-tit Patong just past the Mercure. used to be on the left side of the road, then moved to the right side, then they seemed to be closed. Tried them a number of times over the years, hard to call this a Mexican food place, service used to be iffy, lots of people recommend it, not so sure why ....

<snip>I went to BBQ Hut last month. I like the food, but I ordered a side of guacamole and it cost me 150B.

Are they still open ?? Are you talking about the place in Rat-u-tit Patong just past the Mercure. used to be on the left side of the road, then moved to the right side, then they seemed to be closed. Tried them a number of times over the years, hard to call this a Mexican food place, service used to be iffy, lots of people recommend it, not so sure why ....

Yeah, that's the place. It was okay many years ago when it was on the left. It's pretty bad now, in my opinion. But haven't bothered to go there or even Patong in well over a year. Denny the US Consulate Warden and US Navy League secretary I think, has some connection to it now... Or did.

Went to Gitano in Bang Tao last night. had one appetizer and two cousins,sprite, and a terrible strawberry shake! 550tbh

food was not great but the decorations looked good inside the restaurang smile.png

well known fact that they arent a gourmet restaurant.. its mostly for the ambiance, kid friendliness, good music, good service, eatable mexican and decent thai food(great curry) without having to deal with flies/bargirls noise

Edited by thaiIand

Went to Gitano in Bang Tao last night. had one appetizer and two cousins,sprite, and a terrible strawberry shake! 550tbh

food was not great but the decorations looked good inside the restaurang smile.png

well known fact that they arent a gourmet restaurant.. its mostly for the ambiance, kid friendliness, good music, good service, eatable mexican and decent thai food(great curry) without having to deal with flies/bargirls noise

I have been meaning to try that place for a while now. Their website seems to promise great food. Oh well guess it's not worth the long drive for me.

As Jimi007 said, yes that's the place. I lost track of BBQ Hut for a while till about 9-12 months ago. I recognized the same old sign with the sombrero hat. It is still on Rat-u-tit on the right side if you are going south (if your going north on that road you are either Thai or have lived here too long). Its between the soi that goes to Ibis and Graceland hotels and the one that comes from Loma park by the soccer field...I think. Though, it might even be a little more south than that but definitely not further south than Sai nam yen.

Your right, I wouldn't call it a Mexican restaurant. After all its not called Pepe's smile.png . They do have the basics and a bit more though, nachos, tacos, burritos and a breakfast burrito which I would take over bacon and eggs for example any day. The breakfast burrito comes with pan fried potatoes, I ask for beans instead and it has never been a problem. I have been 3 times since I spotted the new location. I still find it good enough or at least better than nothing but I still would rather eat my own cooking, not that I'm a good cook, it's just that I know what I like.

I have not tried the BBQ yet. When I go there its always to satisfy a nacho, taco or burrito craving.

A little OT, but has anyone tried the Texas BBQ shop past and opposite Vachira Hospital heading toward Tesco?jap.gif

its a basic thai steak restaurant that is a lot less good than other basic thai restaurants. Chachacha close to this is pretty decent though. spanish food

• 5 months later...

I have been here for two years and have not found anything close to REAL Mexican food. The best you will find is at my house in Chalong where I cook often. Like back home, I make rice and bean every other day--real Mexican rice and real frijoles. If you are interested I can cook for anyone. This food, however, is not TEXMEX. In real Mexican food there is very little cheese used. If you want texmex, I cannot help you with that, but for authentic tacos with arroz y frijoles, that I can do. Everyone that has eaten always comes back for more.

Your making me hungry. Nothing can replace a goodtaqueria.

That was not NICe of you posting a photo.

When I was back in the states I went on a special diet-- TAMALES EVERY DAY FOR 2 weeks Pure bliss!!! (have since lost my tamale weight thank you but I enjoyed ever calorie!).

Ricky is from LA and he owns a bar and he does the Taco nighthttp://www.rickyzen.com

Get on the biz Facebook page and get notififed of events.

Ring0 might have contact details for Ben's too .. the cooks.

Lots of Thai Visa members milling about too and Rick's and live music and a nice local vibe.

I think Villa market sells pinto beans and enchilada sauces and some nice salas and a jalapenos and sour cream. but NOT corn tortillas.. and white flour anything is just bad.. bad.. health wise.

no decent Mexican food is just something we have to live with. Makes going home more exciting..

The is NO tasty enchilada (only ingrediaent is chile--thus the name--enchilada) sauce, or salsas in a can, or bottled.

Once you start getting further from the border cities of Texas such as El Paso, Brownsville, Nuevo Laredo etc, the Mexican food really takes on a whole different taste. That is not to say California, New Mexico or and Arizona don't have some nice Mexican places.

You can imagine being half way around the world and trying to get some good authentic Mexican. Very difficult unless you know how to cook it yourself. . wink.gif

I am Mexican and cook Mexican food often here. U are free to try some if u like.

Once you start getting further from the border cities of Texas such as El Paso, Brownsville, Nuevo Laredo etc, the Mexican food really takes on a whole different taste. That is not to say California, New Mexico or and Arizona don't have some nice Mexican places.

You can imagine being half way around the world and trying to get some good authentic Mexican. Very difficult unless you know how to cook it yourself. . wink.gif

I am Mexican and cook Mexican food often here. U are free to try some if u like.

porfavor!

I've been in central coastal California for over two months now. Plenty of good Mexican food places that have been here for decades. Back in Thailand I have to make my own. Which reminds me; I better pick up some Tapatio and a few other salsa picantes.

I have been here for two years and have not found anything close to REAL Mexican food. The best you will find is at my house in Chalong where I cook often. Like back home, I make rice and bean every other day--real Mexican rice and real frijoles. If you are interested I can cook for anyone. This food, however, is not TEXMEX. In real Mexican food there is very little cheese used. If you want texmex, I cannot help you with that, but for authentic tacos with arroz y frijoles, that I can do. Everyone that has eaten always comes back for more.

Ok ! Count me in ... I would like to try what you have, and yes I do cook my own mexican food...Chicano Style.licklips.gif Send me a PM and we can get together.

porfavor!

porfavor que ?

WEll ,they were using Cheese when I went to Mexico , especially in Oaxaca , where the cheese is famous ! and quite tasty ! Plus , mozzarella seems to be the most typical used otherwise!

I dabble in Mexican foods @ BigBill's Deli in Patong with our new menu carrying a few different

simple Mexican dishes....Tacos ,Burritos ,Tostadas and, I even do a Harrisa Chili Paste for my Tacos Pastore , a Mex-Lebanese version a friend in Oaxaca taught me while we were enjoying Oaxacan Mushrooms !

porfavor!

porfavor que ?

I'm from Los Angeles and really miss Mexican food--from street tacos to gourmet places like La Serenata De Gribaldi. Seems like there are at least a few people here who would be willing to pay to try your Mexican cuisine if you organized a dinner party.