Le Crystal Steak House - Good Or Bad?

pmf113b

Hi,

Wanting to find somewhere to take my husband for his birthday in Jan. His birthday falls on a Sunday so not sure if this is good or bad re restaurants.

We are Brits although we adore Asian food, but I was thinking of maybe a good steak for a change as we eat Thai 95% of the time when we are here.

Any thoughts on La Crystals new restaurant The Steak House would be great,or other places.

Doesn't have to be steak we love all food and Indian too.

Thanks !!

I like it for a variety of reasons. I do have to admit, though, that I stick to the lamb. Their lamb ribs are delicious and quite meaty.

I also like a table with a table cloth, cloth napkins, nice china and silverware. I like the way they will quickly re-set your place setting based on what you order. And excellent service.

The live music is pleasant, properly controlled volume, good singer, fits the ambiance.

I recommend it.

I think the food is much better at The Duke's, but the ambiance of Steak House is better.

It is always so darn noisy whenever I'm in Duke's. It's no wonder, with those brick walls and crowded conditions. You can barely chat with people at your own table. I wish they put up fabric wall hangings or other measures to dampen the noise. A friend pointed out they do have some tables outdoors, near the front door, so we may try that next time now that the weather is beautiful. I'd rather put up with cigarette smoke from nieghboring tables than the noise inside Duke's.

I think the food is much better at The Duke's, but the ambiance of Steak House is better.

It is always so darn noisy whenever I'm in Duke's. It's no wonder, with those brick walls and crowded conditions. You can barely chat with people at your own table. I wish they put up fabric wall hangings or other measures to dampen the noise. A friend pointed out they do have some tables outdoors, near the front door, so we may try that next time now that the weather is beautiful. I'd rather put up with cigarette smoke from nieghboring tables than the noise inside Duke's.

And those hard ass wood chairs that only a missionary could love :angry:

QUOTE NancyL : "It is always so darn noisy whenever I'm in Duke's. It's no wonder, with those brick walls and crowded conditions. You can barely chat with people at your own table. I wish they put up fabric wall hangings or other measures to dampen the noise. A friend pointed out they do have some tables outdoors, near the front door, so we may try that next time now that the weather is beautiful. I'd rather put up with cigarette smoke from nieghboring tables than the noise inside Duke's."

You don't give any clues about the style of restaurant you and hubby might favour but in contrast to The Dukes, which is usually crowded in the evenings (though I'm sure you'd find a table if it suited you) how about a small,quiet French restaurant with an excellent French chef and his charming wife who plays the role of hostess? Entirely different from the Dukes and even from Marco's which benefits from being a very popular watering hole handily positioned on the busy Lloy Kroh Road whereas La Fourchette is off the beaten track about 100 metres south down Prapokklao Road from the corner where this road meets Rachadamnoen Road. Intimate,maybe even romantic;you might even be on your own! You wouldn't be at The Dukes. Take your choice.

QUOTE NancyL : "It is always so darn noisy whenever I'm in Duke's. It's no wonder, with those brick walls and crowded conditions. You can barely chat with people at your own table. I wish they put up fabric wall hangings or other measures to dampen the noise. A friend pointed out they do have some tables outdoors, near the front door, so we may try that next time now that the weather is beautiful. I'd rather put up with cigarette smoke from nieghboring tables than the noise inside Duke's."

You don't give any clues about the style of restaurant you and hubby might favour but in contrast to The Dukes, which is usually crowded in the evenings (though I'm sure you'd find a table if it suited you) how about a small,quiet French restaurant with an excellent French chef and his charming wife who plays the role of hostess? Entirely different from the Dukes and even from Marco's which benefits from being a very popular watering hole handily positioned on the busy Lloy Kroh Road whereas La Fourchette is off the beaten track about 100 metres south down Prapokklao Road from the corner where this road meets Rachadamnoen Road. Intimate,maybe even romantic;you might even be on your own! You wouldn't be at The Dukes. Take your choice.

I thought you were going to say franco thai as i think they have the best steak for the price in chiang mai at 189 baht 2 pieces of small fillet steak and a choice of 5 sauces with fries or mash .

I agree with Asmerom - if your husband enjoys what is all but a French family restaurant experience, including fine food. It is not 4 Seasons nor is it a Mandarin experience, but special it is. And v. reasonably priced.

(Closed on Sundays, however, because of the proximity of the Sunday Market.)

*I have no relationship with them except as a customer.