Want To Be Invited To A Traditional Home Christmas In Bangkok

Jaivin2011

Hi, We are a gay couple, me 42 year old foreign educated Asian and my 27 year old Thai Chinese boyfriend wanted to do something diffrent this year for Christmas. Anybody wanting to invite us to their home for a real traditional Christmas Dinner and the Christmas Decor that we see in movies. We always spent Christmas at 5 star hotels but even then you do not get the real Christmas menu that is talked about ie mince meat pies, Turkey with the right stuffings, egg-nog, christmas puddings, christmas cookies , cranberry sauce. We do not mind paying and will contribute in whatever way possible. (We both are very well known in the local Thai Society and we will send you details about ourselves in private . Know its sounds crazy but just sounding it out and see if anything happens. PS; No outdoor restaurants or venues or food that is catered please.

We just want to see and experience a real farang style Home Christmas.

One problem is that Thais don't celebrate Christmas.

Why not head along to an upmarket shop, Villa comes to mind

I expect you will find the Christmas pudding and mince tarts.

Google will help you with how to stuff and roast the Turkey

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/turkey-recipes/jamie-s-christmas-turkey

Eggnog here

http://www.eggnogrecipe.net/

Other ideas here.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/occasions/christmas

Hi Astral, thanks of for recommendations. Just curious...what really constitutes a real Traditional Christmas Dinner Menu (American or British) and also what traditions are involved with Christmas ie besides the Christmas Tree and Gifts and Socks and Mistsletoe...what else?

Not sure how many Farang celebrate a proper xmas over here, I certainly don't

I used to work with a Farang who had a Farang family living in BKK and they used to imitate it but it just doesnt feel the same in this climate.

Also not sure if this is the right place to ask!!!!

I look forward to the responses :whistling: Good luck

Hi Astral, thanks of for recommendations. Just curious...what really constitutes a real Traditional Christmas Dinner Menu (American or British) and also what traditions are involved with Christmas ie besides the Christmas Tree and Gifts and Socks and Mistsletoe...what else?

Getting slaughtered and falling out with long lost relatives :sick::fight::burp:

Feeling homesick now!

You might be disappointed to learn that it's minced fruit rather than minced meat pies.

Ingredients

• 2 tbs brown sugar
  • 2 tbs brandy
  • 1 small Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, coarsely grated
  • 85g raisins, coarsely chopped
  • 85g currants
  • 85g sultanas
  • 60g glace cherries, coarsely chopped
  • 115g (1/3 cup) breakfast marmalade
  • 1/4 tsp mixed spice
  • 600g (4 cups) plain flour
  • 80g (1/2 cup) icing sugar mixture
  • 300g chilled butter, chopped
  • 2 egg yolks
  • 4-5 tbs water
  • White sugar, to sprinkle
  • Icing sugar, to dust

Edited by danbradster

For a true British Christmas you have to exchange presents, pull crackers...eat a huge lunch...and get drunk on wine and port. Then relax and watch this...

Don't forget to check out the related links.

Have a great Christmas!

Not necessarily in that order. All depends on when the drinking starts and how much goes on. In years since childhood, we have, on one occasion, woken up on Boxing Day and realised we forgot the presents and just ate and drank all day.

For me, Christmas is (cliche warning) all about the family. Nothing else is important. Be with family. Drink together. Eat together. Be happy, and when the going gets tough, head off to the local pub that was advertising to be open Christmas day.

Jaivin

From my limited understanding of Christmas - you can't expect to get a traditional celebration when you have to ask to be invited. Or when you offer to pay.

Christmas is about sharing. Amongst friends and family.

And yes sometimes it's extended to strangers too. But the key might be that the host invites you into their homes because they WANT to share this special occasion with you. Or they want to do a good deed and do something nice for people with no family or friends. So that these people don't have to end up celebrating Christmas alone.

The above is based on my limited experience and observation as a non Christian. Maybe others will be able to shed better light.

Jaivin

From my limited understanding of Christmas - you can't expect to get a traditional celebration when you have to ask to be invited. Or when you offer to pay.

Christmas is about sharing. Amongst friends and family.

And yes sometimes it's extended to strangers too. But the key might be that the host invites you into their homes because they WANT to share this special occasion with you. Or they want to do a good deed and do something nice for people with no family or friends. So that these people don't have to end up celebrating Christmas alone.

The above is based on my limited experience and observation as a non Christian. Maybe others will be able to shed better light.

I'm glad MiG 16 has broached this aspect. I considered responding when this thread was initially posted but didn't want to be the first to 'pop your bubble'.The modern Christmas has little or nothing to do with religion. What you are asking for is not realistic. It is highly unlikely strangers would be invited into a normal family Christmas Day celebration for the reason I give below:

A traditional British Christmas is about family only. That may or may not include extended family but normally excludes even close friends. There are other times for celebrations with friends but the family is the core of Christmas Day itself. For many years family life in the west has been changing from the large 'extended' families (which no longer really exists) to smaller units built around each set of parents and their children (the nuclear family). The days when mum and dad, brothers and sisters, grandparents and uncles/aunts/cousins all lived in close proximity to one another are long gone. Why and how this change happened is a long story which has no place in this forum. Nowadays the nuclear family is the norm: one set of parents and their children only, making a seperate life for themselves sometimes at great distance from the original family home and their brothers and sisters.

That is why Christmas is such a special time for many westerners. It is the one time in the year that work can be put aside, presents and children bundled into the car and all the independent nuclear families set off to meet up at the home of one member who is hosting the celebration, maybe the parents or a brother or sister, or in-law. It's too flexible to establish boundaries but the key is they are related in some way. It's a once-a-year extended family get together. Probably the most important people in the mix are the children. They certainly get the most out of it.

I'm afraid that total strangers, no matter how well intentioned or curious or well-funded, normally would not fit into this scenario. To fully understand the significance of modern family life in the west, an Asian (or any other of non-European descent) would have to marry into one and experience it first-hand or, as MiG 16 says quite rightly, be invited.

That is enough from me. It is just my opinion and i'm sure I'll get contradicted/corrected/flamed.

Have a Happy Christmas and a prosperous New Year!:)

Simon

Who in there right mind having a "traditional Christmas dinner" (sitting around the table with family and a turkey) would want some random people they have never met before also sitting at the table?

I'd just love for my kids to be unpacking their stockings next to some "27 year old Thai Chinese boyfriend" gay fellow that I just met online.

(If you are a 63 year old single guy sit at a wooden folding table eating Saralee mince pies out of a box; this does not count as a "traditional Christmas Dinner", and i would think this is the only kind of Christmas you are going to get invited to)

Edited by dave111223

I find the request and interest in the tradition interesting, IF I were in a with my family and all our diverse characters, I would invite these guys, I bet they would contribute well to the festivities. Good luck guys, I hope you get an invite.

Jaivin

Christmas is when the whole famm damily gets to together. We all bring gifts and tons of food. We eat and open gifts and

then the men drink beer or wiskey, watch football on the big screen and then some of us fall asleep. The women talk...talk..talk.

I have a very big family with tons of sisters, brothers,nieces and nephews.

Last year my Thai wife and I were in the states and she had met a Thai girl at her ESL classes ( English as a Second Language )

Being the that Noon was the only Thai girl she had ever seen where we live, they became fast friends. Noon is here on a student visa

and she is all alone. Noon is a absolute sweetheart and a drop dead stunner, I always feel uneasy around her for reasons I don't need

to go into.

Anyways. last year my wife wanted to bring Noon to the family Christmas party. She said...she have no family here and would like to see

American Christmas party. I said no..no ..no, Christmas dinner is for family ONLY. Wife said..she is same same my sister.

Ok..ok we bring Noon and you will see every boy at party stare at her with love in their eyes and every girl stare at you and

Noon with I kill you look. Christmas dinner is for family and family only.

My wife then said... I think I tell Noon that Christmas dinner is for family only.

If your intent is to experience a traditional Christmas dinner, I think you are going about it in the wrong way.

It would be nice to believe there are people here who would welcome strangers into their home for the holidays, but I have to admit I would probably not be one of those people.

You might try one of the Christian charities or churches as a step this year. Perhaps you will be able to meet others in search of a traditional Christmas dinner and start planning for next year. At worst you will be able to hear stories of their past dinners.

You could also try beginning your own traditional dinner. Invite friends/family, look online and choose the traditions you like.

It might not end up being like you see in movies, but with the right group it will still be a good experience and I imagine next year you will get closer.

Good luck

Sorry Jaivin, but christmas being a family- thing...having you in my home would give me the feeling of being at the wrong end of an Richard Attenborough documentary.

No offense, but you don't take one of the most "intimate" moments of the year and have them "observed" by strangers, no matter how contributing they are.

a helpful hint...start small.

You and your partner make a meal, and perhaps share it with a few close friends.

That is the best way to start a tradition and make it your own.

Piggybacking off others festivities, even if they are close friends, can be awkward.

You could always head over to Yarmouth sea front and the Mariner centre where the Sally army will fix you up with a good Xmas dinner,long way to go but worth the experience.

And then wait a few months and ride the snails at Joyland.

This sounds dodgy, I can see the Bangkok Post headline already.

An English man was found dead on Christmas day after accepting an on line proposal by two Homosexual Thai men (see photo) who wanted a traditional Christmas experience.

th_thai.jpgl

The Thai men were seen arguing with the Englishman over mince Pies that didnt actually contain any Mince.

The Englishman was upset and then jumped off his 1st floor balcony to his death.

The police are treating it as a suicide.

My idea of a traditional Christmas has become sitting on the beach with a beer or several.

I don't think a couple of gay Asians would be too enamoured with joining you for a few cans of Tennents Super in Filey mate. :D

This sounds dodgy, I can see the Bangkok Post headline already.

An English man was found dead on Christmas day after accepting an on line proposal by two Homosexual Thai men (see photo) who wanted a traditional Christmas experience.

th_thai.jpgl

The Thai men were seen arguing with the Englishman over mince Pies that didnt actually contain any Mince.

The Englishman was upset and then jumped off his 1st floor balcony to his death.

The police are treating it as a suicide.

:cheesy: :cheesy: :clap2: