90 Baht For 7 Baht Small Water

doingok

after night out with my wife and a couple of friends we went to a bar in lamai as i needed to take some medication so i asked for a drink of water as the wife had a chang at 70 baht so i thought a small bottle of water couldn't to much how wrong was i get 90b for the same water 7/11 do for 7 baht.what a joke and a rip off.not sure if i can say the pubs name?

just cannot believe it.

doingok

Whilst working went to a corner "bistro" in Soi Tongsai to slake a thirst and was charged 260 baht for a measured Sangsom with a splash of coke.

Water would have been cheaper . . .

N

If that is the one by the fountain in Choengmon - now you know why it is usually empty! I do not know many locals who frequent the place.

nice little island if it wasn't for the greed b..tards on it.was in phuket town only a week ago and the prices there are much better than here.Tha sala even better still,yes i know they have to ship stuff over but even so the prices here out weigh the shipping cost.i like samui but do not like to be ripped off to,we are only here another 3 month and i have to say i would look else where if i came back to thailand and its a shame.

Whilst working went to a corner "bistro" in Soi Tongsai to slake a thirst and was charged 260 baht for a measured Sangsom with a splash of coke.

Water would have been cheaper . . .

N

With a name like that I have to ask if you drink your sangsom out of a pint glass.

Edit: Removed smiley...as I remembered...I already know someone who does. ohmy.gif

Edited by smokie36

<br />Ummm why did you need to take water with the med? Were you drinking alcohol before that?<br />
<br /><br /><br />

i never take alcohol with my med.and was on water after i took it to mate and i only had 3 chang before i took my med some no prob though it would of been cheaper in that one bar the rst were fine mate.

You could have walked 10 meters to the nearest 7/11 and bought one there. Bars sell drinks at a markup, that's how they pay their rent and staff.

Actually I thought that was what bar fines were for? :huh: Drinks and the like are to draw in customers to the real money makers so the prices should be attractive, after all there's mark up and then there's MARK UP!..

Though I agree 7-11's are all over and much cheaper then most places, especially bars.

Edited by WarpSpeed

i never take alcohol with my med.and was on water after i took it to mate and i only had 3 chang before i took my med some no prob though it would of been cheaper in that one bar the rst were fine mate.

you are definately on some sort of meds ,cos i cant understand what you are on about in that statement

nice little island if it wasn't for the greed b..tards on it.was in phuket town only a week ago and the prices there are much better than here.Tha sala even better still,yes i know they have to ship stuff over but even so the prices here out weigh the shipping cost.i like samui but do not like to be ripped off to,we are only here another 3 month and i have to say i would look else where if i came back to thailand and its a shame.

Why did u not go to 7/11. from the pubs point the reason why they charge high prices for water is because the bars have other attractions and they don't want people trying to get away with taking a seat where someone else would pay a full price for a beer or something.

I understand your fustration so that is why i go to 7/11 and take the bottle into the bar. Most of the time the lady hostes's are too pissed to realise that you bought i across the road.

You do have to be on your toes out here though.

Why did u not go to 7/11. from the pubs point the reason why they charge high prices for water is because the bars have other attractions and they don't want people trying to get away with taking a seat where someone else would pay a full price for a beer or something.

I understand your fustration so that is why i go to 7/11 and take the bottle into the bar. Most of the time the lady hostes's are too pissed to realise that you bought i across the road.

all those 7-11s we would be lost without them. Just a little story to tell you. a while back a friend of mine, who was staying with me was out till the early hours, like he normally was, and the next day when i saw him , i said : you were out late last nite, werent you. and he said. it wasnt that late:7-11 was still open when i was coming home

Fair point Big C. Quite a few years ago, back in the UK, I was put on an alcohol-free diet for six months. (No booze, not free booze.)

Every pub that I drank in would charge me the full price of a pint of beer no matter what I was drinking. One pint of lemonade, one pint of OJ, they were all the same price as the beer. When I asked the landlord of my local why this was, he said "We sell beer! We are a pub."

i know lamai very well, and i have a good idea who charged you 90b for water, and even though its expensive, if you had live music, then i dont think you were ripped of

Also one has to ask what water it was, i.e. Perrier, San Benedetto, San Pellegrino or Singha.Chang, Crystal etc......

I assume your wife is not Thai, since if she or you had just said (in Thai), "I need a glass of water, not a bottle, to take medicine (a pill)," they would have given you a glass of water free. I am almost certain of that.

The fact is that since this price surprised you, you must not drink outside the beer/whiskey/cocktail zone at pubs. ALL soft drinks and water are are priced similarly to the price for beer in every bar (basically). I guess now you are a wiser man and the education only cost you 90 baht.

Wasas said:

"i know lamai very well, and i have a good idea who charged you 90b for water, and even though its expensive, if you had live music, then i dont think you were ripped off."

Hang on there, live music in Lamai is not exactly played by top-notch acts. Paying 10 times the retail price for a water to see a local pick-up band is not the same as paying that for, say, Jason Mraz or The Decemberists for example. 90 baht for water in any venue in Lamai is price gouging, pure and simple. ...but welcome to paradise....

Also, where can you buy this 7 baht water? I know of the flimsy plastic bottle you speak of, but 7-Eleven does not carry them (no mark-up), so where in Lamai can I purchase this?

The fact is that since this price surprised you, you must not drink outside the beer/whiskey/cocktail zone at pubs. ALL soft drinks and water are are priced similarly to the price for beer in every bar (basically). I guess now you are a wiser man and the education only cost you 90 baht.

Funny that cos it usually costs me 20 Baht in a bar. It seems I'm paying too much for my beer.

Edit: Just for clarity 13 Baht in 7/11 for a bottle of water. (In case you didn't know....rolleyes.gif)

Edited by smokie36

Funny that cos it usually costs me 20 Baht in a bar. It seems I'm paying too much for my beer.

Edit: Just for clarity 13 Baht in 7/11 for a bottle of water. (In case you didn't know....rolleyes.gif)

The government stepped in last year & regulated the price of water at all major outlets.

7/11, Family Mart etc... have bottled water starting from 7 Bht .

The government stepped in last year & regulated the price of water at all major outlets.

I never buy that cheap stuff...rolleyes.gif

i know lamai very well, and i have a good idea who charged you 90b for water, and even though its expensive, if you had live music, then i dont think you were ripped of

not sure about ripped of but i was ripped off,live music is to bring people in but it come to something when customer have to pay for the bars entertainment never seen that anywhere else in the world,its like have a birthday party and charging them to come to cover the cost of the food lol,

plus i have to say the live band wasn't that great to, if it wasn't of the girl singer i guess it wouldn't of been a band?i have worked in the pub game in the uk for over 20 years and seen anything like it here, have to pay to enter a quiz night and you win not a thing..the profit off the drink should pay for the entertainment.

there is no reason to charge 90 baht for water that 7/11 sell for 7baht when they sell chang for 70baht?

i agree i have only paid 20baht and no more than 30baht in bars thats why the 90 baht drink was a shock end of

Also, where can you buy this 7 baht water? I know of the flimsy plastic bottle you speak of, but 7-Eleven does not carry them (no mark-up), so where in Lamai can I purchase this?

Every 7-11 sells 7 baht water, i'm in them more than once a day all over the island. Crystal is decent quality and i only pay 7, maybe 8 baht for a bottle.

Edit: Just for clarity 13 Baht in 7/11 for a bottle of water. (In case you didn't know.... :rolleyes:)

old govement ( by the way i know i have spelt givment wrong i just making a specfic person who PM's me about my spelling angryrolleyes.gif )

So you never take alcohol with medications, but only drink before you take medication? Got it.

why not just order a beer their is enough water in their beer anyway. kill 2 birds with 1 stone