Thai/Chinese Tour Guide

KKvampire

I have some friends from China coming to Bangkok at the end of January 2012 (Chinese New Year) and they would like to have a Chinese/Thai speaking person who could guide them for a few days. Any help where I might be able to find?

Edited by KKvampire

start with the basics and reality- there are Chinese enough here in Thaild and millions just in BKK-and many of them even speak SOME form of Chinese- but as there are 100+ Chinese different forms/dialects, start with finding out what type your friends use. Or if the normal SinoThai could provide for it (mainly Fujian or Hokkien=south China) or if it has to be high-brow Beijing style mandarin.

For the latter-there is an enormous LACK=shortage of these and the Thai who can do it (and this is a function absolutely barred for farang) are in such great demand (for fairly obvious reasons) and make such good money with all the profits and kickbacks, it wont be easy to find an available one in such prime-time vacation time.

AND 2- does it really has to be a fully licensed guide-who can ratlle all the deatils and history etc-or just someone who knows the BKK ropes for getting to the main places, dealing with taxis and pointing the way? May make an enormous difference- as to point 1.

start with the basics and reality- there are Chinese enough here in Thaild and millions just in BKK-and many of them even speak SOME form of Chinese- but as there are 100+ Chinese different forms/dialects, start with finding out what type your friends use. Or if the normal SinoThai could provide for it (mainly Fujian or Hokkien=south China) or if it has to be high-brow Beijing style mandarin.

For the latter-there is an enormous LACK=shortage of these and the Thai who can do it (and this is a function absolutely barred for farang) are in such great demand (for fairly obvious reasons) and make such good money with all the profits and kickbacks, it wont be easy to find an available one in such prime-time vacation time.

AND 2- does it really has to be a fully licensed guide-who can ratlle all the deatils and history etc-or just someone who knows the BKK ropes for getting to the main places, dealing with taxis and pointing the way? May make an enormous difference- as to point 1.

not a know all guide , just someone who knows tourist places, someone who wants to make a little extra money for 2 or 3 days

• 2 weeks later...

My friends here in Bangkok know of a Chinese agency that provides this service, but I think they do it weekly in terms of fees.

So 5 days (Monday to Friday) would cost around 12,500 Baht including the cost for travel expenses to collect the tourists.

There's a few more Chinese/Thai liaison agencies in the downstairs office if you need more information I could ask, but they're pretty well skilled and know fluent Thai and Chinese (mainland chinese and taiwanese).