Electrician

millwall_fan

Our electric bill has surged by 50% in the past 2 months, and EGAT say it is not their responsibility to come out and help us find where we're leaking electric from (they did come out to ascertain that the meter was working properly). What I need is a decent electrician who has the equipment to quantify the electrical usage of each appliance so that we can find out what's causing this surge in use. If anyone knows of a competent electrician in the Chiang Mai area (as opposed to the kind of hopeful amateurs one usually encounters) I'd be really grateful.

Cheers John! I have done a check to see if anyone is helping themselves to our electric but I cant see any suspicious looking wires! I went down to see Rudi a couple of weeks ago about something else, I'll pop in again - and maybe enjoy his excellent pork steak with cream sauce! Thanks again

I do know one English speaking, professional & qualified guy here, his name is Bundit Buaputra- his office no is 053 277706, the office is on Ratchapakinai Rd past the SiriLanna toward Chiang Mai Gate on the left next door to the new-ish Guest house at the Soi that goes back in behind Top North.

An easy check, is to turn every thing off for a minute and see if your meter is still turning, if it is still turning there is a good chance some is stealing your electricity.

Thank you. We have already tried that, suggesting that the problem lies within the building rather than someone stealing our electric

I do know one local guy who is professional and qualified with an office on Ratchapakinai Rd, past SiriLanna toward Chiang Mai gate on the left, No 78 I think, next to the newish guest house on the corner of the Soi that goes back in toward Top North. His name is Bundit Buaputra - 053 277706 a very nice well spoken pro Fax 278 435

Many thanks for that, I'll give him a call

An easy check, is to turn every thing off for a minute and see if your meter is still turning, if it is still turning there is a good chance some is stealing your electricity.

Thank you. We have already tried that, suggesting that the problem lies within the building rather than someone stealing our electric

I do know one local guy who is professional and qualified with an office on Ratchapakinai Rd, past SiriLanna toward Chiang Mai gate on the left, No 78 I think, next to the newish guest house on the corner of the Soi that goes back in toward Top North. His name is Bundit Buaputra - 053 277706 a very nice well spoken pro Fax 278 435

Many thanks for that, I'll give him a call

Have your grounding checked.

Long time ago we had a similar problem. Meter spinning with nothing running. Don't know if you have a multi fuse breaker box. Is so then switch off all the breakers and turn on one at a time, Try to see which circuit is causing the problem. In our case we identified that circuit and chased back to find it was an outside light that was partially shorted with water, but not enough to trip the 15 amp breaker. But a shortage of 10 amps continuous will give a big big monthly bill. Almost 2.5 units electricity for every hours or 1,800 units/month (about 6,000 baht)

• 5 weeks later...

Sorry to revisit this topic, but we've called K. Bundit (kindly suggested by Andvari26), several times and he even came out once, but he is simply too busy to fix our electrics. A good friend of mine who is in the building trade gave us the name of his electrician,- he's too busy, but he kept saying he'd get an electrician friend of his to call us - he never did. Meanwhile our bill this month is 23,600Baht when it should be about 12,000Baht. PLEASE, PLEASE, does anyone know a competent electrician?

i don't need lots of suggestions from enthusiastic amateurs giving us handy tips as to what our problem may be, We need a good electrician to locate our problem and put it right. We are prepared to pay generously to get this put right. It's been going on for three months. Surely there must be a decent electrician in this city, who isn't completely inundated with work! All suggestions gratefully received

I just PMd you with details of our electrician.

One observation, 12,000Bt overspend is something like a 2-3Kw load (depending on price per unit) permanently running! If that was simply "leaking" somewhere you'd likely have noticed smoke and flames by now!

If you don't do already, it would pay you to get your refrigeration units regularly serviced, especially any glass fronted display type fridges which simply eat power. Particularly cleaning out the condenser/radiator on a regular basis can save you quite a bit. Also, any commercial type fridges in a kitchen are prone to grease build up too.

maybe your meter has broken, have you switched off all appliances and lights etc to see if the meter still counts up ?

what type of premisis / business do you have ?

are you sure the electricity company haven't just changed your price per unit ?

how many appliances are you running ?

can you check the numbers on your bill and meter to make sure they tie in ?

checking your wiring and light circuits is quite easy for an electrician - they can do this with a meter called a megger.

to test to see if your appliances are using too much electricity isn't so easy but you could try and get hold of current clamp meter that easily clips around cables.

sorry i don't have any tools or eqipment here if i did then would be happy to help,

Chaang Mai, 053 200 750, works at CM Delta Electric Trading doing installations for them (they sell electrical stuff for homes and factories), don't know if he speaks English but some of their office people do.

Khun An, 081288 07259, independent, English is probably enough but I have never really spoken it with him.

Both have done good work for me.

Edited by Dante99