Coffee Learning

lanky

Try the interwebs? There are LOADS of videos on Youtube, and more than I'd ever want to know on the coffee snobs sites. Like www.coffeegeek.com , www.coffeesnobs.com.au and www.home-barista.com

(The above mentioned Thom's shop is the absolute best shop in town to buy a cup of coffee/espresso. Too bad their locations are inside a supermarket, or in a Coffee Van on Suthep road. But it's the best, absolute world class, no contest.)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Do you need lessons to make good coffee? There must be some instruction on the net. Maybe you want the full "barista" training, so you can make designs in the capuccino foam?

no I gave my partner 2400 baht to learn from this place just checking if she is honest that's all and not for something else

Once you figure out how to make the coffee, here is some information on where to get it and how to store it. Ienjoy drinking fresh roasted and ground coffee each morning, and insist on grinding the beans myself. I wrestled with the coffee thing for a couple years after arriving here (Phitsanulok). At first I could not even find whole beans, then discovered Doi Tung at Lotus, but at 250 baht for 200 grams, the price was ridiculous. Also, it had been on the shelf several weeks since roasting and was not fresh. I drove up to Chiang Rai and went to the Doi Tung facility, got their contact info and began buying 5 kg at a time (their minimum) from them, but it came routed through Bangkok. It was still fresher than the off-the-shelf stuff, but at 700 baht/kg, it was still expensive, too. Then one day about two years ago I was driving north from Phitsanulok and stopped at a little roadside hill tribe coffee shop called Landoy Coffee. It was in Uttaridit or somewhere.

The coffee was delicious, so I asked about buying beans by mail, she said yes, and I have been one happy coffee drinker ever since. Their coffee is nothing less than outstanding. They grow it somewhere in Chiang Rai. It has had a couple of price increases since I started doing business with them (was 350 baht/kg), but is still a bargain at 450 baht/kg (for Thailand, anyway). The beans are large and uniform (number 2). It comes packed in convenient 500 gram Mylar sacks, and I order 4 kg. each time (8 sacks). They send it by post collect, which costs about 200 baht. When I open the last 500 gram sack (must ask for this size when ordering), I have my wife who speaks Thai call them to place another order. I highly recommend these people. Their quality has proven consistent and they have proven themselves completely reliable. They tend to roast a little dark, so if you order a medium roast, it will be nearer medium/dark (French roast), which is perfect for me. If you are an espresso fan, you will want a dark roast. After you order the first time, you can adjust to your tastes. The beans are roasted to order, so they are extremely fresh when they arrive -- much fresher than anything you will ever find on any store shelf. I have attached their business card. Just tell them the farang named John from Phitsanulok sent you. If you feel four kilos is too much, they may be willing to ship three, or perhaps you can share an order with a friend.

Some people worry about the coffee staying fresh. If the Mylar sacks are UNOPENED, you can (must) freeze them and they are perfectly preserved. NEVER open a frozen sack as moisture will immediately condense on the beans, and moisture is the enemy of coffee beans. After the sack reaches room temperature, I open it and put the contents in a Tupperware container that holds exactly a half kilo. NEVER refrigerate this Tupperware, as moisture will condense on the beans when you open it. Leave it at room temperature. Half a kilo lasts me about a 5-7 days. When I fill the grinder with the last of the coffee from the Tupperware, I take another sack out of the freezer to thaw for the next morning. Using this method, the last sack is as tasty as the first.

One more thing. For the best coffee, get a burr grinder like the Krups sold by Central World and ThaiMart (about 3,400 ThB). Well worth every baht if you like great coffee. Blade grinders get the coffee overheated during grinding and do not grind uniformly; the coffee tastes like shit. If you use a blade grinder and wonder why your coffee is not that great, well, it's the grinder.

Enjoy.

post-74366-0-42062800-1325045981_thumb.j

Do you need lessons to make good coffee? There must be some instruction on the net. Maybe you want the full "barista" training, so you can make designs in the capuccino foam?

no I gave my partner 2400 baht to learn from this place just checking if she is honest that's all and not for something else

Hmmm then I expect she can make pretty designs in the foam?

QUOTE : TongueThaied :

"Some people worry about the coffee staying fresh. If the Mylar sacks are UNOPENED, you can (must) freeze them and they are perfectly preserved. NEVER open a frozen sack as moisture will immediately condense on the beans, and moisture is the enemy of coffee beans. After the sack reaches room temperature, I open it and put the contents in a Tupperware container that holds exactly a half kilo. NEVER refrigerate this Tupperware, as moisture will condense on the beans when you open it. Leave it at room temperature. Half a kilo lasts me about a 5-7 days. When I fill the grinder with the last of the coffee from the Tupperware, I take another sack out of the freezer to thaw for the next morning. Using this method, the last sack is as tasty as the first".

Interesting and informative post. The moisture problem has always bothered me as I return the small container to the fridge every time I use it. You say don't. Leave it at room temperature even for a week. So I'll do that. But I'm a bit puzzled when you say you use 250gms in 4/7 days. I drink about four cups a day and I'm sure 250gms lasts two or three weeks . I've never actually counted. Maybe you have a large family. I put 4/5 heaped teaspoonfuls of ground coffee from the metal bladed grinder into the pot to make three cups of coffee. How does that compare with your useage?

I agree with the post about Hillkoff. They do have a large variety of differently roasted beans and more to the point they do provide barista courses

Edited by Asmerom

Ristr@to (Ristretto) opposite Kasem store on Nimanhaemin is run by the 6th best barista in the world (don't know where the top five are located licklips.gif ), according to the man himself. Last time I was there he was in the process of starting a barista school in that location. Don't know if it is up and running yet but you could try there. It is worth the stop just to have the coffee and watch him at work.

In order to have the beans the roasted the way I like. I roast the beans myself. Today I bought 10kg of green beans for 1,500 baht. When I need beans I roast them until they are the color I like. Then sift out the bad skin and store them. 250 grams of green beans last about a week. Buying direct from the farmer has it's advantages.

Ristr@to (Ristretto) opposite Kasem store on Nimanhaemin is run by the 6th best barista in the world (don't know where the top five are located licklips.gif ), according to the man himself. Last time I was there he was in the process of starting a barista school in that location. Don't know if it is up and running yet but you could try there. It is worth the stop just to have the coffee and watch him at work.

On of the other top barista lives and works out of Oslo Norway. Used to get my midday coffee there daily

• 4 months later...

just to revive this thread which mentions the best coffee in Chiang Mai..............is Thomp coffee shop in all of the Rimping supermarkets below ?

Rimping Supermarket ( Nawarat Branch )

Located on the Ping River close to Nawarat Bridge

129 Lamphun Rd.

Tel : 053 246333-4 Fax : 053 247433

Rimping Supermarket ( Mee Chok Branch )

Located on Highway 1011 which is the middle ringroad

Mee Chok Branch 208 Moo 6 T.Faham, A. Muang, Chiang Mai

Tel : 0-5326-6629 , Fax : 0-5326-6635

Rimping Supermarket (Nim City Daily Branch)

Located in Nim City close to Airport Paza

199/8 Mahidol Rd , T.Haiya A.Muang Chiang Mai 50100

Tel : 0-5390-4841 , Fax : 0-5390-4885

Rim Ping Supermarket (Kad Farang Branch)

Located out of town in Hangdong

225/4 M.13 T.Baanvan Chiang Mai-Hod Rd. A.Hangdong Chiang Mai 50230

Tel & FAX : 0-5343-5305

just to revive this thread which mentions the best coffee in Chiang Mai..............is Thomp coffee shop in all of the Rimping supermarkets below ?

Rimping Supermarket ( Nawarat Branch )

Located on the Ping River close to Nawarat Bridge

129 Lamphun Rd.

Tel : 053 246333-4 Fax : 053 247433

Rimping Supermarket ( Mee Chok Branch )

Located on Highway 1011 which is the middle ringroad

Mee Chok Branch 208 Moo 6 T.Faham, A. Muang, Chiang Mai

Tel : 0-5326-6629 , Fax : 0-5326-6635

Rim Ping Supermarket (Kad Farang Branch)

Located out of town in Hangdong

225/4 M.13 T.Baanvan Chiang Mai-Hod Rd. A.Hangdong Chiang Mai 50230

Tel & FAX : 0-5343-5305

No it's only in Nim City Branch near the Airport Plaza. Not sure if is the "best" but it is good coffee.

• Like 1

You may like Thom Artisian Coffee bean, if you like acidity, bright, tangy, fruity taste.

post-131333-0-66944500-1336955053_thumb.

Ask him about his product, he's in the picture on the right, nice guy. smile.png

No it's only in Nim City Branch near the Airport Plaza. Not sure if is the "best" but it is good coffee.

Edited by ARISTIDE

If you have to check here whether your partner is honest or not, I'd say wake up, smell the coffee and move on.

And they have a coffee van somewhere, on Suthep road I believe. Only been to the Rim Ping Airport shop though, and I think it's magnificent.

I've mentioned this before, but not too long ago, 'coffee in Chiang Mai' was either Nescafe instant, or 'Classic' Thai coffee brewed through a sock by some uncle with a coffee & milk cart. And now there's Thom's with a fricking La Pavoni lever machine.. That's the coffee equivalent of replacing Thapae Gate with the Arc de Triomphe, or Nawarat Bridge with the Golden Gate one.

The coffee in Rimping Nim city is delicious and I prefer a good hot cappuccino. Many coffee shops make the mistake to add the milk just when it has foam but they don't heat the milk enough and I don't give a shit of these figures they can produce in my coffee, it just cool down the cappuccino to much.

Strange the OP started this subject to find out his girlfriend is honest.

Strange the OP started this subject to find out his girlfriend is honest.

Not that strange. Lots of sex tourists feel a need to play knight in shining armor, throw some money around and are then concerned if they are 'the only one' and that she's really that single diamond in the rough. Misguided, yes. But strange, in the sense of uncommon, no.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

"Does anyone know where the Thomp coffee van is near on Suthep ? Easier for me to get to regularly if it is 5 star coffee !"

Sorry double post,last one never showed up for some reason...

Edited by freedomnow

I tried Thomp coffee van and I would not recommend this place unless you want to by Thomp coffee bean.

But again may be he has improved.

Does anyone know where the Thomp coffee van is near on Suthep ? Easier for me to get to regularly if it is 5 star coffee !

Aristide, where would you suggest instead for top grade coffee smile.png ?

If somewhere near on Suthep is easier for you to get to regularly I recommend a place nearby called RISTR8TO on Nimmanhaemin Road like the address on the photo. If you know where Kasem store is then it is located almost across the road. The dude takes his coffee business very seriously with a reasonable price for good quality coffee.

post-131333-0-04961300-1337001171_thumb.

Edited by ARISTIDE