Blocking Walking Along The Beach @ Arkbar

Yesterday i noticed the ARK bar building a ugly looking wall of banners along down to the sea looking like they are trying to imprison tourists in there bar

is this legal / normal behaivour ? i know we are in samui but come on .. what gives these people the right to block tourist to talk along the beach front and trying to TAKING over it seems chaweng beach ,

i feel sorry for anyone with a business on that beach blocking the view of near by resorts and bars , im not going to moan like a old person about the volume of the music but please sort the music out atleast ! :P

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe they are trying to stop people wandering into their Bar with out purchased drinks !

I was in Soi Green mango a week or so ago, I saw a tourist who was very well dressed, and his clobber looked

designer gear. despite his tidy appearence this tight arse prceeded to pour a half bottle of Sang Som (in a 7-11 bag) into a large

paper coffee cup, he then made his way into Henry Africa's, these busness's spend a lot of money on lease and rent just to mention the

tip of the iceberg. so I do understand Business owners getting a little hacked off with these Spraffers, scroungers, ponces, stinge bags, scrouges

and general tight <deleted>, after paying a ruck of money getting here, you would think that they would relax enjoy their holiday and not stress themselves out

hatching plans to trick hard working folk whilst saving themselves a couple of hundred baht,

after saying all that, the wall of banners might be there for other reasons, who knows?

Maybe they are trying to stop people wandering into their Bar with out purchased drinks !

I was in Soi Green mango a week or so ago, I saw a tourist who was very well dressed, and his clobber looked

designer gear. despite his tidy appearence this tight arse prceeded to pour a half bottle of Sang Som (in a 7-11 bag) into a large

paper coffee cup, he then made his way into Henry Africa's, these busness's spend a lot of money on lease and rent just to mention the

tip of the iceberg. so I do understand Business owners getting a little hacked off with these Spraffers, scroungers, ponces, stinge bags, scrouges

and general tight <deleted>, after paying a ruck of money getting here, you would think that they would relax enjoy their holiday and not stress themselves out

hatching plans to trick hard working folk whilst saving themselves a couple of hundred baht,

after saying all that, the wall of banners might be there for other reasons, who knows?

Laffin....thanks

• Like 1

This time I will have to say they can't block the beach. illegal.

I am with Rooo on this one. 100% illegal.

Mind you, they are probably doing it so that the Ark Bar pxssheads do not bother the genteel people on other parts of the beach on NYE. It is to keep them in, not to keep you out.

• Like 1

It's illegal? I am surprised anyone even holds this up as meaning anything. Legality seems irrelevant here. Is it not just a matter of what a person or company can do without being forced to stop?

I am sorry, but I disagree. Illegal still has meaning here - it is just more difficult to get it resolved. It takes a lot of time, effort and a different approach.

In my time here I have had various 'run-ins' with people carrying out anti-social/illegal activities. The latest was the recent Black Moon Parties on Plai Laem Beach.

I was warned not to complain about these as the person involved was 'well connected' on the island. (I was warned by well meaning friends and contacts - I was never threatened by anyone involved in the parties.)

However, I decided to embark on a campaign of emails, letters, blogs, phone calls etc to try and get them stopped.

I do not pretend that anything that I did was a major factor in getting the parties stopped. But they have stopped. Maybe, I made a small difference.

Thailand is not always the lawless place sometimes depicted by extreme stories in the press and on forums like these. However, it is different. So, tackle it in a different way. Shouting, loosing your rag, threating lawsuits and saying "but I am right" is not usually the way to go about things here. (I have tried these in the past - usually I had to buy a bottle of JWBL the next day to make the peace. That also works.)

• Like 1

anyone got a picture of them blocking the beach? , or how much is being blocked?

it might also have been from the other resorts that asked them to put it up , as one poster mentioned above to keep them in ? , and not being sick, pissing or causing trouble near other resorts? , might also keep the sound in a bit?

Banners or barriers? It is illegal to build structures on the beach and illegal to block the beach. But if its just some kind of temporary banner they may be able to get away with it, whats to stop you from going around the banner?

• Like 1

anyone got a picture of them blocking the beach? , or how much is being blocked?

it might also have been from the other resorts that asked them to put it up , as one poster mentioned above to keep them in ? , and not being sick, pissing or causing trouble near other resorts? , might also keep the sound in a bit?

They are in the middle of a Guinness Book of Record attempt for the longest beach party, 17 days.

so you might be right about the other resorts, while this party is ongoing

Big signs at the entrance and inside stressing about not bringing in drinks, so could well be this.

• Like 1

Big signs at the entrance and inside stressing about not bringing in drinks, so could well be this.

Pikeys.

foof - posters above posting posts about posters blocking the beach - confusing, innit . . . (now I gotta hit 'Post' to post this post . . . )

R

Edited by robsamui

u get that shit everywhere. no need to block a road or a beach cause of it there again i haven't seen this block so i don't really know what uis going on

illegal yes if this acusation is true. then if it is illegal then you could spend all your time complaining and banging your head against the wall. u might even get them in troublke. they may pay a small fine but they would have made loads of money in the process.

that is if it is true. it might have been mis understood. if that is the case then i would higher a rugby team to run through it

illefal period, but the Ark bars tays open on Buddha days etc and guees more tea money than most, there i only 1 owner of the beaches in Thailand and they cannot do it in theory, but then again some hotels have been built on the beach illegaly even the local protesteted but its still there. Samui is not part of the "normal Thaiand" guees it has its benefits as no continuous licence checkes and helmet fines. got pulled over last night on the main land for a bretherliser check. doubt Samui will get into that for a while.

The banners are clearly there to prevent that their owercrowded parties spill over to the adjacent bar named "Sober".

That one sells drinks at almost half Ark Bar´s prices, and without need to wait 15 minutes to be served, so the risk is obvious.

Personally I would say Ark Bars densely placed sunbeds all the way to the water block the beach much more than those banners.

All beaches in Thailand should be public, but the big question especially in this high tide is:

Where does ones property end, and where does the beach start?

Your property stops at you boundary lines. No permanent structure 10 metres back from boundary line bordering the beach.

Beach is the beach, you have no rights of encroachment , high or low tide marks have nothing to do with it.

Your property stops at you boundary lines. No permanent structure 10 metres back from boundary line bordering the beach.

Beach is the beach, you have no rights of encroachment , high or low tide marks have nothing to do with it.

Laudable or legal as this might be, many resorts have markers on the beach (sometimes heavy anchor rope on the ground) designating "their private" sand area. I can think of one in Chaweng like this. The beach-bed encroachment is not only against the restriction of the 10 meters of beach being "crown lands," but an eyesore as well.

A resort in Lamai has an illegal floating dock, up in Maenam a big waterfront lot is fenced off, Banyon Tree in Lamai will not allow you to even enter the property unless you are "someone," let alone the beach, The Sarann resort below the lookout point in Chaweng Noi with it's illegally reclaimed frontage (remember the protest banners?) and sand is roped off to corral business in Chaweng, to name but a few.

The question is: "Officially," who cares? By that I mean who cares enough to actually do anything about it?

Every time I see a photo of the smiling mayor of Samui, I think, "Do you really have no idea what's going on around the island regarding illegal structures, illegal development, even illegal speed bumps on public roads?" He's clearly "our man at the top" for Samui locals who need to get things done...either that or he doesn't get out much.

But take the Ark Bar situation; who do you go to, to get action when you can't walk across the king's frontage on their property because of sun beds and constructions? Answer? No one.

Edited by sbk
do not bring the royal family into your argument, thanks

Sure, but how should Joe Public know where the property bouderies are?

I can hardly believe that it´s always the boundery between the sand and the vegetation as that could vary a lot.