Taxi And Motorbike Taxi Fares Within Pattaya

gppower

What is the right fare to pay for a motorbike taxi ride in Pattaya? Say, from Thap Phraya road, where my hotel will proly be, to Beach Road/Walking Street.

Is there such a thing as the taxi meter as in BKK?

Do mototaxis run after dark?

I don't mind the baht bus but I don't know its route....

The bahtbus runs along Thappraya to Pattaya along 2nd Rd following the one-way system. They return in the opposite direction, travelling along Beach Rd. For the return, if you dont know the ropes, best to get one near the school on the corner with South Rd as not all the ones on Beach Rd actually go to Jomtien.

The fare is 10B as far as Central.

I have no idea about motorbikes or other taxis as I havent been on/in one in the last 25 years, and I have no intention of doing so before I die.

Probably the first thing to keep in mind is that both moto-bike and regular taxis are basically highway robbers unless they think you're a "local" and then you can negotiate a bit. The taxis say "Taxi Meter", but they're owned by the same mafia as the motos and won't use the meter.

Baht Bus is always the cheapest-- 10 to 20 baht depending on distance, but you need to learn the routes. A bike from Thepprasit/Thappraya to walking street would be between 70 and 100 baht - depending on your negotiating skills. A Baht bus would be 10 Baht for the same run. One advantage in using a bike is -if traffic is jammed- you'll get there MUCH faster.

In one incident I was waiting for a moto to return to his station for a ride that is less than 2 miles away, and normally 60 to 70 baht. A taxi pulled up and wanted 400 baht for the same run. I told him I could go all the way to Bangkok for only 800 Baht - he said OK, 300 baht. Needless to say I waited for the moto.

In another case, I went into Central-Festival to buy a new TV and asked the taxi-meter driver waiting outside how much to the North-Jomtien Thepprasit area- he said 200 Baht. When I came out with the TV, they wanted 300 baht. I got a private baht-bus for 200.

They're almost all highway robbers if they get the chance and you let them get away with it. Then again, it's still cheaper than New York or Los Angeles . . . smile.png . . . Best of luck.

Just read this in relation to high season motorbike taxi fares on In Pattaya Now:

High Season Hassles in Pattaya

It annoys me in high season when even your friendly local motorbike taxi gang start taking liberties, and haggling what are absolutely standard fares for the other 50 weeks of the year........FULL STORY

http://inpattayanow.com/2011/12/29/inside-pattaya/high-season-hassles-in-pattaya/

In all my years in Pattaya I have never had a problem with a motorbike taxi guy, and believe me I have used them lots, very un-fair to brand them "robbers". They provide a great service, especially early hours of the morning.

Walking Street to Pratumnak, never been charged more than B60, even 5/6am.

I do think the standard fare for short journeys has gone from 40 to 50 recently

I regularly get a m/c taxi from near Sukhumvit near the top of Pattaya Klang.

50 Baht to Soi 8 Beach road 2.4 kilometers

50 Baht to Soi 1 on 2nd road 2.9 kms.

Coming back around 2 a.m. 60 Baht handed over and they are happy.

That should give you some idea.

Reply to PM from OP:

There are no fixed stops en route. To get on you stick your hand out, they stop and you get on. To get off you ring the bell, they stop and you get off. Pay 10B to the driver on exit. Try and have the right change.

Your hotel is indeed right on Thappraya Rd and bahtbuses are very easy to get in both directions (downhill back to Pattaya and uphill to Jomtien beach), except perhaps in the early evening in high season coming from Jomtien when they can be full of Russians.

Easy enough to walk to South Pattaya/Walking St as it's downhill and would probably take 10 minutes or so. Coming back is uphill, so add 5 minutes.

The airport bus stop is about 2 minutes on the bahtbus in the Jomtien direction.

• 5 months later...

making a 'fair' what you are willing to pay offer

and then walk away if NO

works like a charm each time!!!

but you MAY need to repeat the price and get them to SAY IT TOO

they hate it but no problems after

Walking Street to Pratumnak, never been charged more than B60, even 5/6am.

I do think the standard fare for short journeys has gone from 40 to 50 recently

Pratamank is a strange place =) it's 60 B from friendship, the same as to jomtien =) pratumank to jomtien is also 50 =)))