Tefl International

markdargus

Mate a TEFL is a TESOL :o

Their full time course is okay and you don't get many complaints about it. Avoid the PELT though IMO, a real con to everyone involved.

They'll let you observe for a bit so you can compare and contrast with other providers if you wish to.

done the TESOL course with them and specifically in Ban Phe.  Oh and which is the better course to do. TESOL or TEFL.

Hey there , I did the 4 week TEFL certificate course there early last year and would definitely recommend it.

The 5 days of teaching practice in the local schools really gives you a taste of what to expect. If you know nothing about teaching (like I did) the instructors give you a great insight into the language learning process and they give you a technique / method you can use in a classroom from day 1.

I hooked up my first job through contacts made there as well and they will get you started with finding a job.

For my first semester of teaching I basically followed the TEFL International method and it was very successful. The Thai teachers at my school all loved my lessons and thought I did a better job than other farang / Filipino teachers there with 10 years + experience.

If you get a good group of fellow students (26 of us in my group) you'll have a great time socially and its a nice place to hang out on the weekend with Ko Samet just a boat ride away.

Well it's now 18 months later and teaching didn't end up being my thing but I have really fond memories of my time at TEFL Intl.

I should be getting paid for this endorsement :o

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Highly recommend the TEFL 4-week courses offered by an outfit that holds classes both in Bangkok and Phnom Penh, sponsored and accredited by a college in the U.K. (an easy Google search should identify the institution for you).

I have a bachelor's and master's degree in education, but took a 25-year business detour since getting those degrees. When coming to Thailand to teach, I took one of these TEFL courses as a refresher. It was something like getting the basics of my bachelor's program condensed into one week, with heavy emphasis on practical instruction methods and techniques.

It was conveniently held on weekends, so I could come down from my upcountry teaching job to attend the classes, and be back in the classroom on Monday morning.

I was impressed with the caliber of teaching, the motivated students, good teacher-to-student ratio, and a good place to get one's foot in the door for teaching in Thailand. There was ample in-class practice opportunities, and a two-week extension to the course allowed actual in-local-school practice teaching with Thai students to see if you could handle a classroom situation.

In addition, it was one of the less expensive TEFL programs, and I felt I got my every baht's worth.

Lastly, I'm getting no commission from this post!

Highly recommend the TEFL 4-week courses offered by an outfit that holds classes both in Bangkok and Phnom Penh, sponsored and accredited by a college in the U.K.  (an easy Google search should identify the institution for you). 

I have a bachelor's and master's degree in education, but took a 25-year business detour since getting those degrees.  When coming to Thailand to teach, I took one of these TEFL courses as a refresher.  It was something like getting the basics of my bachelor's program condensed into one week, with heavy emphasis on practical instruction methods and techniques.

It was conveniently held on weekends, so I could come down from my upcountry teaching job to attend the classes, and be back in the classroom on Monday morning. 

I was impressed with the caliber of teaching, the motivated students, good teacher-to-student ratio, and a good place to get one's foot in the door for teaching in Thailand.  There was ample in-class practice opportunities, and a two-week extension to the course allowed actual in-local-school practice teaching with Thai students to see if you could handle a classroom situation. 

In addition, it was one of the less expensive TEFL programs, and I felt I got my every baht's worth. 

How many hours class time and how much OTP? As to be of international standard you need at least 100 hours class time, 6 plus hours OTP, otherwise it's more of an introductory course than a 'proper' TEFL course per se. Still enough for Thailand though.

• 4 years later...
Highly recommend the TEFL 4-week courses offered by an outfit that holds classes both in Bangkok and Phnom Penh, sponsored and accredited by a college in the U.K. (an easy Google search should identify the institution for you).

I have a bachelor's and master's degree in education, but took a 25-year business detour since getting those degrees. When coming to Thailand to teach, I took one of these TEFL courses as a refresher. It was something like getting the basics of my bachelor's program condensed into one week, with heavy emphasis on practical instruction methods and techniques.

I was impressed with the caliber of teaching, the motivated students, good teacher-to-student ratio, and a good place to get one's foot in the door for teaching in Thailand. There was ample in-class practice opportunities, and a two-week extension to the course allowed actual in-local-school practice teaching with Thai students to see if you could handle a classroom situation.

There are so many courses out there- it is hard to get anyone to state a name or website recommendation with costs.

Can you please give the details of the one you recommended?

I to have a BA and Masters in education from 12 years ago and simply would like a refresher after being in IT for 12 years.

Cheers Jay :)

I did TEFL international in Phuket.

Bare bones, showed that we could survive a classroom... of people 16+ who WANTED to be there, not 30+ kids who only wanted to play.

It was invaluable when I first started, after a year I realized how many better programs there were out there.

There are so many courses out there- it is hard to get anyone to state a name or website recommendation with costs.

Can you please give the details of the one you recommended?

I to have a BA and Masters in education from 12 years ago and simply would like a refresher after being in IT for 12 years.

Cheers Jay :)

Hi Jay,

At the end of each of our courses graduates are asked to complete feedback forms. The last question is "would you recommend SEE TEFL to other potential TEFLers?". 100% of our graduates tick 'yes'. Visitors to our school are welcome to view all feedback forms.

Here's the Testimonial Page from our website: http://seetefl.com/tefl-teachers/

We also have a few short videos on YouTube including one of teacher testimonials: http://www.youtube.com/seetefl

These are our graduates http://www.flickr.com/photos/seetefl/sets/72157619393932240/ All have given permission to be contacted by potential SEE TEFL participants. Pick a few, tell me the name of the teacher and date of the course by pm, and I'll forward a contact email address for each so that you can communicate with them independently of SEE.

If you confirm your place at least 45 days before the start of your chosen course date, you receive a $200 discount from your final balance payment.

John Quinn

SEE TEFL

Forum Sponsor

http://seetefl.com

I would also like to back up John. I didn't take his course, but he and his wife bring their students to REAL schools with REAL students. You get a much more realistic feel for what it is like to teach at a school with a bunch of kids (the number one market for ESL teachers in Thailand). You get a taste for it while having a safety net so to speak, rather than what I and many others experienced, being thrown to the wolves.

I know this because my classroom was one of the classrooms John's student's taught in, so I can vouch for the real experience and professionalism of John's course.