Yamaha Fresh Shifting Badly

ClareQuilty

I have an old Yamaha Fresh with the 4 spd clutchless transmission, and when I bought it the thing kind of wanted to surge forward at lights at idle (there was no idle-at-rest-in-gear as is normal on such bikes). The mechanic worked on it, replacing a few parts in the transmission, and now it is pretty much the opposite - it doesn't really want to go until its rather revved up. Also it seems to pull back a quite excessively when you let up on the gas at 50 or 60 - not a pleasant feeling.

But the real problem is that when you let up on the gas and slow down from speed like that, all sorts of annoying clicks and snaps come from the area of the transmission. I wonder what the mechanic may have done wrong to cause this. I'll be taking it back to him in a day or two, can anyone make any suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...

These bikes have two clutches. The traditional type and a centrifugal one which is when you up the revs and the bike moves forward. The centrifugal has about three paddles that are spring loaded and fling out against a metal cup/bell housing. Sounds like he changed the central fugal clutch and may not have fitted the right one, or has not assembled it back properly or something has come loose? All the other step through's have a similar setup.

Take it back and tell him to do it right!