New Phuket Police Chief Orders Holiday Crackdown

webfact

New Phuket Police chief orders holiday crackdown

Phuket Gazette

phuket-1-11858HKTMFEfCRfhXuuFRiiusluMIJf.jpg

New Phuket Police Commander Chonasit Wattanavrangku after his arrival at Phuket Police Headquarters yesterday. Photo: Warisa Temram.

PHUKET: -- Newly-installed Phuket Provincial Police Commander Chonasit Wattanavrangku has ordered all officers on the island to strictly enforce the law and ensure public safety over the New Year holiday now underway.

Chonasit Wattanavrangkul, whose last assignment was as Songkhla Provincial Police Commander, took over the position from Maj Gen Pekad Tantipong in the latest police reshuffle announced on Christmas Day.

Maj Gen Pekad was transferred to Bangkok, where he will serve as commander of the Legal Affairs and Litigation Division.

Representatives from all police units on the island were on hand at Phuket Provincial Police Headquarters yesterday to greet their new boss upon arrival.

“I will use my position to do my best to serve the public. During the New Year festivity period we will strictly enforce public safety regulations, because a lot of tourists are coming to Phuket for the holidays," he said.

A crackdown on the illegal sale of alcohol, carrying of firearms and operation of nightlife venues after authorized hours will run through January 5, he said.

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...ticle11858.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2011-12-30

“I will use my position to do my best to serve the public. During the New Year festivity period we will strictly enforce public safety regulations, because a lot of tourists are coming to Phuket for the holidays," he said.

A crackdown on the illegal sale of alcohol, carrying of firearms and operation of nightlife venues after authorized hours will run through January 5, he said.

So he is saying the Police did not uphold the law before??? well everyone knows that anyway....

So after Jan 5 it reverts back to total lawlessness again?? business as usual, everyone relax......

Amazing, police doing their duty but only until 5th january

All wind,p..s and no substance as usual..It'll just be selective staged 'events'..Will any police be down anywhere near the beaches and jetski areas for the daily stoush and extortion skams...Will mayor Keesin be out and about as well?Can't wait for the photos!

He will strictly enforce the law. Regarding the nightlife venues. Great. That will surely make visiitors happier. No mentioning of enforcing the law against jet ski operators, tuktuk mafia and corrupt police. It is dont bite the hand that feeds you. As usual.

He will strictly enforce the law. Regarding the nightlife venues. Great. That will surely make visiitors happier. No mentioning of enforcing the law against jet ski operators, tuktuk mafia and corrupt police. It is dont bite the hand that feeds you. As usual.

New years eve a night when almost everyone and the aunt Ethel stay up till 3am minimum, they will no go out and close down venues... Or ask for HUGE teamoney to stay open. Should make the troupes happy and cover the chiefs moving bill too.

“I will use my position to do my best to serve the public. During the New Year festivity period we will strictly enforce public safety regulations, because a lot of tourists are coming to Phuket for the holidays," he said. A crackdown on the illegal sale of alcohol, carrying of firearms and operation of nightlife venues after authorized hours will run through January 5, he said.

So the police in Phuket will mainly concentrate on illegal sale of alcohol and operation of nightlife venues after authorized hours.

What have this with public safety for tourist to do?

Shouldn't they instead spend their time to catch drunk drivers, crazy tuk tuk driving, crazy jet ski and boat operators etc?

I think the problem with this police is they don't know what public safety is.

I think the problem with this police is they don't know what public safety is.

No.....the problem is that the police motto "To protect and serve" refers to themselves, not the general public at large.

They have to buy their positions and their equipment and they have to make that money back somehow.

if you listen to what he has said, he is being very honest. A true man of Songkhla. For those of you that havent been around long, the phuket police have a reshuffle once or twice per year smile.png

Illegal alcohol sales and venues operating outside of licensed hours are what police make their money from. So, venues open after hours could not be checked because there was not enough officers on duty (they paid the new tea money rate) and those that were closed made the night a big success (they were not willing to contribute to the growth of certain individuals financial worth).

Alcohol sales become illegal when high ranking officers are not shareholders in the shop, or hold some other vested interest.... e.g. the shop owner is the cousin of the local BIB.

Edited by TheGhostWithin

A "crack down" means enforcing the law, this is too funny.

"A crackdown on the illegal sale of alcohol, carrying of firearms and operation of nightlife venues after authorized hours will run through January 5, he said." I think what he's saying in this one is for the time being we can't continue to allow the illegal sale of alcohol, carrying firearms and open night clubs after hours. This too shall pass, or has it already? There's a new marshall in town, the new long arm of the law cowboy.gifclap2.gifcoffee1.gif

He is saying " Come on lads, make me look good this new year, and we will all get rich together next year"

Fine CEO of the local mafia addressing the troops.

Why do they all look the same, sound the same, and do the same? Because they are the end product of a bad sausage machine. After 30 years, they became mr chief pork sausage, and the reason they became mr chief pork sausage is because all the good meat went in at one end and pushed out Mr. Chief Pork Sausage at the other end. The problem is not the good meat that goes in, but the bad sausage machine.

And why do they wear brown uniforms? Brown has to be the dirtiest colour going. Very apt when related to corruption.

When the glorious day comes when the Thai police are totally purged from the top down, they really need to change their uniform colour so as to distance themselves from their past.

Why do all these senior police officers look EXACTLY the same?

Will any police be down anywhere near the beaches and jetski areas for the daily stoush and extortion skams

Only to the extent necessary to give the scammers the protection they need from angry tourists. After all, the scammers are their paying customers, the tourists are just the source of gross revenue.

And if the total numbers are down this year, means they all need to work together to make sure the per-head revenue increases to keep total income steady or increasing - I mean it's not as if their expenses (whiskey, mia noi's etc) are going down. . .

Will any police be down anywhere near the beaches and jetski areas for the daily stoush and extortion skams

Only to the extent necessary to give the scammers the protection they need from angry tourists. After all, the scammers are their paying customers, the tourists are just the source of gross revenue.

And if the total numbers are down this year, means they all need to work together to make sure the per-head revenue increases to keep total income steady or increasing - I mean it's not as if their expenses (whiskey, mia noi's etc) are going down. . .

Don't forget they also need to be there for the negotiations. They don't want to be scammed by the scammers? crazy.gif

jb1

So he is saying the Police did not uphold the law before??? well everyone knows that anyway....

So after Jan 5 it reverts back to total lawlessness again?? business as usual, everyone relax......

Or is he saying that they must stricly enforce safety regulations because a lot of tourist are coming to Phuket so we must; A) Protect Them? Or B) To Catch Them? Humm???? I go with B)

They have it the wrong way round; they should be relaxing the sale of booze and let the establishments stay open during this period.

Can't argue with the firearms bit though!

New years eve a night when almost everyone and the aunt Ethel stay up till 3am minimum, they will no go out and close down venues... Or ask for HUGE teamoney to stay open. Should make the troupes happy and cover the chiefs moving bill too.

Has Phuket got all night opening for new year's eve/day? We have "Up Country".