New Fancy Schmancy Wood Fire Oven Pizza Place Opening In Jomtien!

Jingthing

Wow, things are really heating up in the J-tien-town food scene of late. Almost beyond sober expectations.

Jomtien -- gourmet food paradise? It could happen.

The latest potential star is LA BOCCA Italian restaurant and wood fire oven pizzeria.

Speaking of heating up, a friend of mine tells me that in a real Neapolitan wood fire pizza oven, pizzas are fully cooked in ONE MINUTE!

The space is rather large, has undergone a major refurbishment, and sports very slick professional looking signage.

I don't have the opening date yet but based on clues I would be surprised if it isn't open within weeks.

I think it will be the only wood fire oven pizza place in Jomtien, isn't that correct?

In any case, the owners are clearly making a major investment so I will start with naive optimism that may mean the food may me as good as the place is looking.

Stay tuned ...

Edited by Jingthing

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can guess without even looking at the menu that it's going to be absurdly overpriced and will probably be desperately advertising on local TV soon.

What Jomtien really needs is a couple of decent breakfast places like Diana Dragon and Casa Pascal, and more Thai places like the night market at the top of Soi 5, at which there are currently so many farangs most evenings that you have to queue for a seat to get your noodles. These are the places that are doing good business, not the silly "designer" places.

Yeah I'd like that Pascal breakfast place in Jomtien. I know that place in the Poseidon Hotel is trying to place in that market but it doesn't do it for me.

You've got a point though about prices. If a basic small pizza with one topping is 400 baht I might not even try it once!

Edited by Jingthing

Yeah I'd like that Pascal breakfast place in Jomtien. I know that place in the Poseidon Hotel is trying to place in that market but it doesn't do it for me.

It's not for me either, especially since it seems they put the price up to 199B recently.

I looked at the Eurotel (sp?) buffet on Beach Rd the other day. That was a mistake too! At ~190B it was truly dire, with all the things one hopes never to see in a buffet (and most of the trays empty anyway). Needless to say I didn't get beyond looking.

So I'll keep taking the bahtbus into Pattaya whenever I fancy a farang breakfast. Soi 5 does me nicely in the evening though, in spite of the Russian/German/Scandinavian hordes.

I can guess without even looking at the menu that it's going to be absurdly overpriced and will probably be desperately advertising on local TV soon.

What Jomtien really needs is a couple of decent breakfast places like Diana Dragon and Casa Pascal, and more Thai places like the night market at the top of Soi 5, at which there are currently so many farangs most evenings that you have to queue for a seat to get your noodles. These are the places that are doing good business, not the silly "designer" places.

The restaurant hasn't even opened yet and already you complain about the prices! If you don't plan on visiting it why post in this thread?? There are quite a few of us living in Pattaya that are able to pay more than 50 Baht for a dinner so give the constant whining about prices a rest - please!

JT, thanks for the tip. If you find out when they're opening please post the info.

Edited by MZurf
  • Like 1

Directions for this place would be useful. Easier to watch for the opening and maybe post some reviews.

At the moment IMHO Tara Court offers the best breakfast (for the Price), with lots of choices. I splashed out at Xmas and had smoked salmon on scrambled egg with toast for 190 baht. Juice and coffee included. Sheer decadence I know, but it was Xmas.

If you don't plan on visiting it why post in this thread?? There are quite a few of us living in Pattaya that are able to pay more than 50 Baht for a dinner so give the constant whining about prices a rest - please!

I'm able to pay, but not willing. That's my choice.

If you don't like what I'm writing, don't read it. That's your choice.

• Like 1

Italian Wood Fired Pizza sounds good however, I can just hear all the Americans complaining now that its nothing like a NY or Chicago Deep Dish Pizza.................Just like they do about the authentic Italian place in The Avenue

Please don't tell me you queue up for a plate of noodles?

Italian Wood Fired Pizza sounds good however, I can just hear all the Americans complaining now that its nothing like a NY or Chicago Deep Dish Pizza.................Just like they do about the authentic Italian place in The Avenue

That's funny because I like any good pizza of any style, but that place doesn't do it for me. I used to like their Bangkok location in the pre-red-riot Central World. Yes, this new Jomtien place will definitely be Italian style rather than an Italian-American style.

Adding to the kerfuffle about American styles of pizzas vs. Italian styles, the recent pizza foodie trend in the USA is Neapolitan style wood fired pizzas, obviously an authentic Italian style of pizza. What I wonder is what is the difference between a Neopolitan style wood fired pizza vs. one from say, Rome? I haven't noticed any pizzerias yet marketing themselves specifically as Neapolitan in Thailand.

http://www.fuocodinapoli.com/

Our Crust is crisp-edged, rugged, chewy, and full flavored. It represents a magnificent reflection of Napoli. The ancient traditions of the Italian culture, and the ingredients make our pizzas super special. Nothing but imported flour used to make our dough daily, fresh simple ingredients, grown in the finest soil around the world, and cooked in a wood fired dome oven. Even our brick oven was hand built by the legendary Enrico Liberato.

I don't; I've been here too long. But on several evenings recently people have been waiting for me to vacate my seat when I finished eating my pad tai talay.

Last night the entire market was just too full of farangs to sit comfortably, and my regular stall (and other stalls) was closed anyway, so I got some take-away noodle soup from a stall I've never tried before just opposite the new Italian pizza place in question. They were rather good and I shall get them again.

What I wonder is what is the difference between a Neopolitan style wood fired pizza vs. one from say, Rome?

As far as I know the Naples pizzas have burnt crusts but the Roman ones don't. Never quite understood the attraction of burnt crusts.

"Even our brick oven was hand built by the legendary Enrico Liberato."

¡Ay caramba!

Jomtien Pizza wars.

I see another Italian place about to open on Soi 7 too. Looks nice.

A wood fired pizza oven has been constructed out front.

How the pizza oven is "fired" is of little significance. It's just marketing hype nonsense but going on how excited it is making some of you indicates it's working.

The ingredients they use and how the build the pizza are the important issues.

As far as I know the Naples pizzas have burnt crusts but the Roman ones don't. Never quite understood the attraction of burnt crusts.

That sounds familiar. I think you're right. I can see some charred taste would be nice, but just a little bit. Coincidentally I did notice (again that I had forgotten about)) an upscale Neopolitan seafood restaurant on Jomtien Beach road called Aquapazza. Their prices are high even for tourist Jomtien.

http://www.facebook....9062055?sk=info

It turns out they do have some pizza there but don't know about an authentic oven and they do feature seafood so you take your chances. Here's a pic from Aquapazza Jomtien:

post-37101-0-89245000-1325496670_thumb.j

Here's a pic of a master chef made Neapolitan pizza baked in an authentic oven. Authentic so called char blisters, burnt to us yahoos!

post-37101-0-92048700-1325497168_thumb.j

Edited by Jingthing

Jomtien Pizza wars.

I see another Italian place about to open on Soi 7 too. Looks nice.

A wood fired pizza oven has been constructed out front.

How the pizza oven is "fired" is of little significance. It's just marketing hype nonsense but going on how excited it is making some of you indicates it's working.

The ingredients they use and how the build the pizza are the important issues.

Uh huh. If you say so.

Uh huh. If you say so.

You must be one of the people who start salivating at the hint of a wood fire.

If think any chef would honestly tell you there are lots of factors in making any food good. Its silly to say only the ingredients, or only the cooking tools, or only the chef, etc.

If it was a case of saving 5 baht then yes he'd que all night.

Uh huh. If you say so.

If think any chef would honestly tell you there are lots of factors in making any food good. Its silly to say only the ingredients, or only the cooking tools, or only the chef, etc.

I have enjoyed thousands of pizzas baked in gas ovens.

The wood fired places consistently put out a better tasting pizza I say.

Maybe it's just the mindset of a chef that won't take the cheap & easy route. (gas oven)

There is no such thing as a 'bad' pizza. Just 'good' and 'great' pizzas.

"Also how long before a really big supermarket/department store opens in Jomtien ?"

According to the assistant manager at Villa Market, Villa had plans to open a Jomtien market a couple of years ago somewhere on either Soi 5 or 7, but the lease on the property fell through. Seems there would be a lot of business in Jomtien for one of the large markets who would be willing to give it a shot.

Uh huh. If you say so.

Sure, you can cook a bad pizza from good ingredients, but can you cook a good pizza from bad ingredients?