Learning Thai

TomTao

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
And Tom did you find one? I consider now to drive every 2 weeks to bangkok...I will have an appartment direct in the center of Chumphon, from next week on.

Using a book I was given a while ago to start learning the basics before I go on and find a teacher. Perhaps we could catch up once you get settled.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

It is completely normal that you both THINK you need a teacher. In truth, however, you have all the teachers you need (regular Thai people) right there in ชุมพร / Chumphon. I know it sounds crazy, but why not give it a shot? Pretend that you are African tribesmen, abducted into a different tribe speaking a completely different language. What then would you do? You would listen and observe, listen and observe, listen and observe until little bits and pieces started to make sense. Also, watch as much Thai television as you can stand. It's completely okay if you don't understand what's being said. It's a great achievement just to acquire the sounds and rhythm of a language.

For reading and writing, go to a store that sells school books and supplies. Buy a book (30 baht) for learning to write the alphabet. It's the kind where you trace the letters. Then take that book and work on it in a public place. Random "teachers" (regular Thai people, including children) will stop and help you, and it will be fun as well. As soon as you can, start trying to read signs, labels, bank notes, and anything else. What I have just described is a very Natural Approach to language learning, and if you stick with it, it can result in much greater language proficiency than you would ever achieve through formal study in a classroom with a teacher.

I will go one step further and encourage you to actively avoid analyzing the language. Accept what you learn each day as that which you are ready to learn each day, and let the rest go to be learned on another day when you are ready for it. Let yourselves learn in bits and pieces. Don't force your brain to learn anything. Let it all happen naturally.

Disclaimer: The above is my personal opinion, formed on the shoulders of giants like Dr. J. Marvin Brown and Stephen Krashen. My opinion is informed by years spent learning or beginning to learn several languages. I wasted thousands of hours in countless language classrooms using a variety of methods before I came to my senses. Now I know what to do, and I do it The Natural Way, no "teacher" required--just native, target-language speakers with which to interact...

(Edited to correct some kind of bizarre shrinking-font problem.)

Edited by kpmsprtd

It is completely normal that you both THINK you need a teacher. In truth, however, you have all the teachers you need (regular Thai people) right there in ชุมพร / Chumphon. I know it sounds crazy, but why not give it a shot? Pretend that you are African tribesmen, abducted into a different tribe speaking a completely different language. What then would you do? You would listen and observe, listen and observe, listen and observe until little bits and pieces started to make sense. Also, watch as much Thai television as you can stand. It's completely okay if you don't understand what's being said. It's a great achievement just to acquire the sounds and rhythm of a language.

For reading and writing, go to a store that sells school books and supplies. Buy a book (30 baht) for learning to write the alphabet. It's the kind where you trace the letters. Then take that book and work on it in a public place. Random "teachers" (regular Thai people, including children) will stop and help you, and it will be fun as well. As soon as you can, start trying to read signs, labels, bank notes, and anything else. What I have just described is a very Natural Approach to language learning, and if you stick with it, it can result in much greater language proficiency than you would ever achieve through formal study in a classroom with a teacher.

I will go one step further and encourage you to actively avoid analyzing the language. Accept what you learn each day as that which you are ready to learn each day, and let the rest go to be learned on another day when you are ready for it. Let yourselves learn in bits and pieces. Don't force your brain to learn anything. Let it all happen naturally.

Disclaimer: The above is my personal opinion, formed on the shoulders of giants like Dr. J. Marvin Brown and Stephen Krashen. My opinion is informed by years spent learning or beginning to learn several languages. I wasted thousands of hours in countless language classrooms using a variety of methods before I came to my senses. Now I know what to do, and I do it The Natural Way, no "teacher" required--just native, target-language speakers with which to interact...

(Edited to correct some kind of bizarre shrinking-font problem.)

Thank you for your advice, I have been picking up the language, I am starting to be able to put together small sentences, I have been told I speak with a very clear southern accent and am trying to learn to read and write, this is the difficult bit, but I will keep going.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

As a heavily visual learner, the reading and writing is much easier for me than the listening and speaking. The good news is that once you know how to read and write Thai, you are well on your way to reading and writing Lao and Khmer as well. Something to work towards if we live to be 100, I guess...

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I am out at ThungWuaLaen, have a heap of .pdf/.mp3 Thai resources, if you want them can put on a usb (free). I probably learn 50% eating and joking in the market, and 50% with the computer. AA

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Tom, how is it going with Thai learning? For now I learn mostly from other Thais who are willing to help me with it, I maybe learn 2 or 3 new things the day and are good on the way I think :) Even the big mistery about the letters and the tones is getting smaller. Now I changed my stay to Thung Wua Laen and found here a teacher, she will give lessons in April (twice a week for 2 hours), its mostly about the writing I think, anyway for now I take every chance to improve my skills in Thai language. If you like we can meet up for dinner or whatever and exchange some knowledge?

Hmm I like the idea to buy schoolbooks and sit somewhere down in the public, its maybe a good way to meet some Thais. Any remmondations for Chumphon? I think the park could be a good place.

Aarn I am interested in your files, when and where can we meet up?