Lamphun To Chiang Mai

naboo

On Saturday, headed off to the gf's parents', I saw a total of 6 accidents (vehicles still present) on northern carriageway of the 11 between Chiang Mai and Lamphun, one looked to be fatal. On my return to Chiang Mai yesterday, my girlfriend counted out 19 sketches of accidents on the road over the 25km stretch from Lamphun to Chiang Mai, 6 at one set of lights.

Please be aware when visiting Chiang Mai that you cannot continue along this stretch at 140-160kmph. There are numerous sets of traffic lights and u-turns, and often you will come across stationary queues of traffic which are easy to slam into when traveling at high speed 2m from the vehicle in front.

Its generally idiotic people with Bangkok plates that end up buried in someone else's backside. this road is not a tollway, its usually quite busy with traffic and is, in my experience, one of the more dangerous roads to drive on in Thailand due to the tiredness factor (people arriving from Bangkok) and varying speeds at which people travel. I'm not one for trundling along slowly, but when coming from Lampang, once I hit the first set of lights before Lamphun its time to engage Mr Sensible.

• Like 1

Ive just done that run from Naka Nowhere at 3 A.M ish. There are a few more, yes , but its normally Crash Alley. Those BKK Plates are Clod Busters going home not BKK residents. The central drain ditches are full of fresh Veggies most days from toppled pick ups.coffee1.gif Often been tempted to nick a Mellon.licklips.gif

Saw 4 VIP buses smash nose to tail at the last set of traffic lights before CM last week. Not serious, but all were damaged. Someone must have stopped for a redlight, & 4 tailgating buses......

And driving along a 500m stretch running up to those same lights this morning, saw at least 3 separate sets of spray paint graffiti by the BiB.

Edited by MESmith

• 1 year later...

Once again, the time is coming for a mass movement of people from Bangkok to Chiang Mai.

I think it is 6 intersections with traffic lights between Doi Khun Tan and the Don Chan intersection arriving in Chiang Mai. Each just far enough from the previous to gain considerable speed and forget about just how hard you had to break a few minutes back.

I'll be heading south on the 12th and returning on the 17th, I hope not to see any nasty accidents like the one I witnessed a couple of weeks ago.

Once again, the time is coming for a mass movement of people from Bangkok to Chiang Mai.

I think it is 6 intersections with traffic lights between Doi Khun Tan and the Don Chan intersection arriving in Chiang Mai. Each just far enough from the previous to gain considerable speed and forget about just how hard you had to break a few minutes back.

I'll be heading south on the 12th and returning on the 17th, I hope not to see any nasty accidents like the one I witnessed a couple of weeks ago.

Take some cans of spray paint with you. You can "donate" them to the BiB as their supplies will probably be running low thumbsup.gif

Not only in Chiang Mai... on the only route from Amphawa to Bangkok, on a Sunday, I saw two pileups and 7 sketches of accidents on the road. Invariably in the rightmost lane.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app