How'S Your Internet Speed ?

steven100

Bangkok would have to be one of the top cities in the in the world for slow internet speed !!

check my speed test result below ... even Cambodia would have faster i'm sure !!

Download Speed: 348 kbps (43.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 309 kbps (38.6 KB/sec transfer rate)

Latency: 151 ms

Wednesday, January 04, 2012 9:46:56 AM

how's your IT speed ????? slower than mine ??

annoyed.gif

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Be glad yoiu have this speed.

I am on satelite internet in the middle of nowhere and in the best days my download transfer rate is 8 KB/s and the normal average is 2-3 KB/s. Worse than dial-up in Canada back in the days when I was using dial-up.

I just used the Thaivisa speedtest.

DL : 8.96 Mbps

UP: .84 Mbps

Ping : 36ms

That's in Bangkok, however in Chiang Mai with IPStar, its lucky to be 256kb/s - hopelessly slow. No phone lines where I live.

I'm not sure a blanket statement such as "Thais aren't good in IT and will probably never be" is correct.I have some very, very clever Thai IT guys working for me.

I think it's more the Government is not progressive and TOT is too slow on awarding 3G and 4G licenses.

Maybe someone who knows why Thailand Internet is so slow can chime in.

I am on satelite internet in the middle of nowhere and in the best days my download transfer rate is 8 KB/s and the normal average is 2-3 KB/s. Worse than dial-up in Canada back in the days when I was using dial-up.

If you can get an AIS signal you will be much better off with AIS Edge, satellite is far too expensive and so unreliable, Edge is pretty good and costs much much less.

I wasted 1000's of baht on iPStar before i went with an AIS Aircard and got a much better service at a much lower cost.

If you can get an AIS signal you will be much better off with AIS Edge, satellite is far too expensive and so unreliable, Edge is pretty good and costs much much less.

I wasted 1000's of baht on iPStar before i went with an AIS Aircard and got a much better service at a much lower cost.

Unfortunately satellite is the only option for me, I am offshore on the drilling rig.

And I am not paying by the way. :D

Crap at the moment, but that's usual for CAT, I'm surprised when it's faster.

It's so slow at the moment it taking ages to do the speed test.

Finished at last - tested against Singapore server

Last Result:

Download Speed: 13 kbps (1.6 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 2353 kbps (294.1 KB/sec transfer rate)

Latency: 121 ms

04 January 2012 12:13:23

Internet speed test for Internet broadband ver 2.1.1 © 2006-2010 thaivisa.com

5 minutes later and the speed against the Bangkok server is

Last Result:

Download Speed: 93 kbps (11.6 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 1673 kbps (209.1 KB/sec transfer rate)

Latency: 120 ms

04 January 2012 12:17:40

Internet speed test for Internet broadband ver 2.1.1 © 2006-2010 thaivisa.com

Edited by PattayaParent

I usually get lousy results from using online speed test sites -- e.g. right now I cannot even get the ThaiVisa speed test to work -- but in real world file downloads, I get pretty good speed. Here's a screenshot of a torrent download (mainly from USA & European seeds) on a Wednesday afternoon around 1:00pm:

post-33251-0-58392400-1325764385_thumb.j

I usually get lousy results from using online speed test sites -- e.g. right now I cannot even get the ThaiVisa speed test to work -- but in real world file downloads, I get pretty good speed. Here's a screenshot of a torrent download (mainly from USA & European seeds) on a Wednesday afternoon around 1:00pm:

post-33251-0-58392400-1325764385_thumb.j

Yeah this is about what I usually get too. A few years ago big downloads using torrent or steam used to be a real pain the ass because it was so slow, often under 100KB/s, but now it's pretty fast. I'm happy with download speed in Thailand most of the time now.

I have a house in Nakhon Phanom and one in the UK.

I have 3BB 9MB/1MB connection in NKP which pretty much gives promised speed nearly all the time.

In the Uk I am supposed to be on 8MB/1MB, I have been running speed tests lately because of the slow speeds, download speeds best 3.5MB worst .5MB uploads never above .3MB. This is in a reasonable size town about one mile from the telephone exchange.

So which country has the third world infrastructure ??

All the best, enjoy !!

^ Your comparing one place against another hardly construes either as that country having a better or worse infrastructure. A lot of it depends who's on the exchange and you could just be very lucky to get those speeds here. There are also towns in UK on 100 meg.

Speed tests are largely irrelevant in any case unless you're doing it 24-7, though I've been on the same package for 5 years and been upgraded once in that time - 2 to 4 meg - but been downgraded on upload - 1 meg to 0.5! <deleted>. That's a premier package in CM as opposed to the high contention ratio Indy. All things considered, it's pretty pathetic really and consistency wise, it really is crud here.

Bit off topic but Im in Cambodia using my friends 3G by Metfone the speed is great compared to my connection in Thailand. It cost $20 a month for 12 GB Data.

From the thaivisa speed test.

Download Speed: 1558 kbps (194.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 875 kbps (109.4 KB/sec transfer rate)

Latency: 1374 ms

Friday, January 06, 2012 6:36:07 AM

Bit off topic but Im in Cambodia using my friends 3G by Metfone the speed is great compared to my connection in Thailand. It cost $20 a month for 12 GB Data.

With a latency like that it should be free.

With a latency like that it should be free.

I Don't pay for it so it is free for me........you try & have a nice day anywaypassifier.gif

Tried 3G from Dtac --- very poor around here.

Switched to AIS ---- much the same.

On some days I cannot even open hotmail or google.

Was going to try True next, but reading the comments here, I think I will try something else, first

My speed to the Singapore server, from Bangkok

Last Result:

Download Speed: 17189 kbps (2148.6 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 1366 kbps (170.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

Latency: 35 ms

Sunday, January 08, 2012 8:15:33

I'm on 3BB in Chiang Mai on the 9MB package. I download a lot using Usenet and apart from peak times, I usually get a constant high speed (about 1000kbps) but from late afternoon till about midnight, I've noticed that my downloads start off at around 1000kbps for around 10 minutes, then it drops dramatically to around 150-170kbps, but when I do a speed test, it tells me my download speed is around 8MB...?

Either way, I've learned to do all my downloading overnight.

Edited by xandreu

• 1 month later...

I'm in Soi Buakhao/Diana. I wanted an unlimited prepaid Aircard/SIM.

I got talked into buying a Truemove E173 Aircard without my researching it properly. Duh, maybe.

The Truemove E173 with the supplied iSIM was about 1000kbps - acceptable.

However, according to the Lotus Truemove shop, it seems that they do not do prepaid unlimited.

The Truemove 3G E173 Aircard with an AIS SIM downloads about 220kbps which is pathetic.

The AIS call centre (quite helpful) claims that the AIS SIM is not compatible with the Truemove 850MHz network. You would not find this out by reading the information on the Truemove box.

After checking the AIS website it seems that their 900MHz network is limited to only 384kbps which is slow.

I just talked with Truemove call centre (most helpful). They said I could get a Smart SIM and an unlimited pack for it.

http://www.truemove-h.com/en/prepay/sim/prepay-sim-smartphone.aspx

http://www.truemove-h.com/en//prepay/prepay-topping.aspx

Scroll down to data and WiFi topping. Note that it too is slowed to 384kbps after a specified download.

to be continued........