Can'T Get Rid Of Ticks - Help!

dotx

I also mix a small amount ,put it into a plastic spray bottle and squirt it into the dogs ears and between the toes frequently,where tick infestation can be bad. After two or three applications (baths) in the Baytocol the dogs resistance seems to pick up,not re-infected as frequently.

Ivermectin ,is OKish on ticks,no good on fleas,can be given in food as well as injected,lasts about 3 weeks.Ticks do not like the smell of Ivermectin ,it does not kill them.

Baytocol does kill them,nothing better than bathing a heavily infected dog,leaving the ticks in place ,then a day or two later brushing the dogs coat out with fine toothed comb, and dozens of dead dried ticks being dragged out of the hair

Another good method of getting shut rapidly is applying rubbing alcohol to the ticks,it cab be bought very cheaply from most pharmacies

Edited by 23962323

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I also mix a small amount ,put it into a plastic spray bottle and squirt it into the dogs ears and between the toes frequently,where tick infestation can be bad. After two or three applications (baths) in the Baytocol the dogs resistance seems to pick up,not re-infected as frequently.

Ivermectin ,is OKish on ticks,no good on fleas,can be given in food as well as injected,lasts about 3 weeks.Ticks do not like the smell of Ivermectin ,it does not kill them.

Baytocol does kill them,nothing better than bathing a heavily infected dog,leaving the ticks in place ,then a day or two later brushing the dogs coat out with fine toothed comb, and dozens of dead dried ticks being dragged out of the hair

Another good method of getting shut rapidly is applying rubbing alcohol to the ticks,it cab be bought very cheaply from most pharmacies

Thanks a lot for those tips. I'm off to a vet for the Baytocol and the chemists for the alcohol.

You said to avoid the mouth - but is it safe that after application to the toes, or after a Baytocol bath the dog will inevitably make mouth contact when it bites at the area in the way that dogs do at an itch?

Thanks a lot for those tips. I'm off to a vet for the Baytocol and the chemists for the alcohol.

You said to avoid the mouth - but is it safe that after application to the toes, or after a Baytocol bath the dog will inevitably make mouth contact when it bites at the area in the way that dogs do at an itch?

Yes ,dogs always lick after a bath,too little to have any effect...by the way I spelt it wrong , it is Bayticol,good stuff

Yes ,dogs always lick after a bath,too little to have any effect...by the way I spelt it wrong , it is Bayticol,good stuff

I now have the Bayticol. It comes in a very small bottle so there is a lot of diluting to be done I presume. What proportion of it to water do you use? The direction leaflet is in thai; which I could get someone to translate but it would be useful if you just told me the dilution that worked with your dog. Thanks.

#19 Nienke said: 'As your dog has a disease, never ever vaccinate him again. The pharmaceutical industry themselves write in their guidelines, that come with the vaccines, to vaccinate ONLY HEALTHY animals (and humans).'

I agree.

Except for rabies which is a yearly vaccine required by law. Correct?

I know the op wants to avoid tablets but after a recent nasty infestation on my two long haired dogs, after all else failed I gave them Vormec Plus, one tablet a week for six weeks. Totally cleared the problem, no more ticks or fleas. On the humorous side the packet said :chewable tablets: have you ever tried to get a dog to chew a tablet ! lol I hid it in their dinner which they got after dark so they couldn't see it!

^^ The recommended normal dosage is 1 tablet in 1 month, once per week is intensive for the management of skin parasites (mange) only.

Best in the case of mange to go for the liquid ivermectin (from Holland and sold in farm animal medicinal shops) subcutaneous injections for 5-6 weeks. Checking with a veterinarian doctor before usage is a given.

Check and follow the directions folks - please. See attachment.

'Saving the village by burning it down' probably best describes overdosing your pet.

Medicating pets correctly is problematic under the best of conditions; doing it incorrectly can prove fatal fast.

post-23872-0-94484600-1333512891_thumb.j

Edited by ataloss

The Vormec plus if it works on my alsation's tick problem could be my answer. I shall look around but any tips as to where it was found (Chiangmai or Bangkok) would obviously be very helpful.

In the meantime, since I have bought the Bayticol I'd be grateful for the dilution anyone has used for this and found to be effective.

It is 1mm per 2 litres of water Google Bayticol 6% the instructions are in English. Dust off with flea tick powder frequently too after coat has dried

Ivermectin is Ivermectin..periodI I have Neomec (still Ivermectin) different trade mark ,mine are Neomec melt in the mouth flavoured tablets10 mg @ 25 baht a packet (5 to a packet) so works out at 50 baht for 10 in a box.

Ivermectin liquid (injectable) is produced the world over, I buy the Chinese stuff 150 baht per bottle for the 100 xs injection bottle size.

Personally I would go the cheapest route,dose a few porkballs up with the required liquid amount,(injections give results quicker )..

look it up on Google

It is virtually impossible to overdose, meat dosed with Ivermectin , some soi dogs received more than 4 times as much as much as recommended through fighting etc to obtain more than their share of the dosed food...and were still there the following week ,trying to get more than their share.

One problem might be heartworm,if heavily infected the dead heartworm could cause heart valve blockage.

Edited by 23962323

• 2 months later...

Great info. Thanks to all who posted. We get our dog a shot every other month and he is tick and flea free.

The fact they keeps ticks away is without doubt,but it what Ivermectin does as a long term solution I would hesitate to use it regulary. Just like most medications it metobolises in the liver,just as steroids that are used for treatment for painful rashes in dogs that in turn shortens the life of the dog.

External problem I treat with external treatment

Edited by 23962323

• 1 month later...

Great info. Thanks to all who posted. We get our dog a shot every other month and he is tick and flea free.

The fact they keeps ticks away is without doubt,but it what Ivermectin does as a long term solution I would hesitate to use it regulary. Just like most medications it metobolises in the liver,just as steroids that are used for treatment for painful rashes in dogs that in turn shortens the life of the dog.

External problem I treat with external treatment

Hmmmmm. I would research this line of thinking a little more. Oral meds pass through the liver and can be liver toxic, whereas injected drugs do not immediately pass through the liver. They are absorbed into the bloodstream in the case of intramuscular or subcutaneous injections or injected directly into the bloodstream (IV). Whether or not they do reach the liver eventually is beyond me, but I am sure it would be in a much reduced concentration. Google "first pass effect" .

ivermectin is great stuff. oral for horses, injected or oral for goats and sheep, oral for donkeys, oral or injected for dogs. oral for ferrets. forgot which for cats.

ivermectic can also be used on humans ive found out, used in africa, and one of my vets doses himself occasionaly. ivomac is used on livestock for maintenance: every three months or every six months, prior to breeding, prior to stud season, before whelping, etc depending on the animal. and i would not buy just any brand, ive seen different results from different brands, some almost useless, like injecting water. also, make sure u have the oral for oral use. u can use injectable as oral but check the amounts. and although it is difficult to overdose, it does happen: sleepiness, 'drunkeness', rabbits have died from over doses (i am guilty of orally over dosing a few rabbits, but easier then injection every rabbit under the skin), and collies are advised not to get injections of ivermac.

but by far the best stuff i have ever used : ultra shield for horses as a dip or a spray... did the house, sofa, lhasas (who are like tick magnets)and the stairs ... i have no cats (it is poisonous to cats) and no crawling babies. it killed and prevented a repeat infestation of two separate types of ticks we had on walls, in beds, on dogs, under sofas, everywhere... the ticks areound here are immune to all frontline/advantage type products. ultra shield has the same stuff but some additions to create a synergic affect, and stronger (and more expensive to buy but cheaper per use at least for smaller dogs but beware for toy minis or sensitive dogs or indoor only dogs not good... my two are indoor outdoor and every family here has at least two dogs and kibbutz abounds with our dogs and nighttime predator types that carry ticks (foxes and jackals).

either way, this year for whatever reason we have had almost no ticks. i also clipped dogs down much earlier, but although winter was warm and summer hamsin lasting much longer, havent seen many.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

VORMEC PLUS (ivermectin tablets) (FOR DOGS ONLY)is the solution to almost all your troubles.

I first tried all of the expensive Frontline and similar pills and sprays, plus Batocol - none worked. Ticks went on about their blood feast on my Rotts as if nothing occurred.

I came across VORMEC PLUS three or four years ago and my pets and I have never looked back. I first used liquid vermectin when 2 of my dogs mysteriously came down with mange 5 yrs ago, and vermectin cured the mange in 4-5 weeks with no recurrence.

VORMEC PLUS controls and prevents:

heart worm

round worm

hook worm

Ticks

Fleas

earmites

Demodectic mange, and

Sarcoptic mange.

A pack of 10 tiny chewable tablets (1 per month) costs ~300Baht for the 40Kg-dog version [ivermectin 12,000mcg tablets].

Less for smaller sized dogs. The tablets are the diameter of a pencil eraser and about 1mm thick. The dogs readily chew them.

My friends also use these tablets to their dogs' delight.

Letz see if I can upload the image of the VORMEC PLUS package.

You will have to shop around but there are pet supply shops selling them.

May your petz be ever eased of their scourges and their owners equally at peace.

we give ours heartguard for heartworm so useing vormec plus as well be ok or would i have to stop heartguard.

Different dogs seem to react to different methods of tick control. All my dogs are on monthly Ivermec.... and I am fighting the biggest tick outbreak I've seen in five years. One of the dogs only has ticks on the ears; the other four have them all over, though mainly on the head, upper back, and under the front legs.

• 1 month later...

Well Sally got sick, so took her to the vet. Running a temperature, gave her an injection and pills. but told to keep her dry. So the spray is out. Now on Ivermectin. We've another dog who is a bit skittish, hates being touched. So got a bit of chicken leg. Sliced open and inserted the pill. After 5 minutes turning the leg in her mouth. She isolated the pill, spat it out and ate the chicken. Plan B tomorrow, when I know what plan B is 555

Injectable Ivermectin is an effective control of internal parasites, but the dosages necessary to eliminlate ticks and mites can be lethal.. I raise golden retrievers and use ivermectin on a ragular basis. Some dogs remain tick free and others have colonized the area. I have not found a lasting effective control over the past 14 years other than the nightly de-tick sesson - now down to only 10 dogs, up from 23.but love every one of them

• Like 1

She isolated the pill, spat it out and ate the chicken. Plan B tomorrow, when I know what plan B is 555

Pig intestine - cheap at the market - wash then flash fry with the pill inside, this should disguise the smell of the pill enough to let it be consumed un-smelt.

Also beware that the dog is not stupid and is smelling the residue of the pill on your fingers so knows to look for the pill in her "treat".

Canned pilchard oil is another viable smell cloak.

• Like 1

Or...open Fido's mouth, place the pill as far back on his/her toungue as possible, hold mouth closed, stroke neck while saying "swallow the pill or you'll be filet steak tonight" and feel the ecstasy as Fido swallows the pill.

Job done. How hard was that?

Or crush the pill up and mix it in with dog food.

Some medication is designed for slow release in the intestines rather than directly attacked by the strong acid in a dog's stomach. Crushing will greatly affect the acid's effects.

Not all medication should be treated as you suggest.

• Like 1

Or...open Fido's mouth, place the pill as far back on his/her toungue as possible, hold mouth closed, stroke neck while saying "swallow the pill or you'll be filet steak tonight" and feel the ecstasy as Fido swallows the pill.

Job done. How hard was that?

This hard ---> We've another dog who is a bit skittish, hates being touched. = Yelps and struggles. Takes 3 people using that method, which works with the other dogs we had. Her father and sister.