What Petrol Is Best For A Yamaha Fino: Green 91?

WaldoPepper

Just bought a 2009 Fino and I'm not sure what to use. Filler cap is green with 91 on it. Previous owners said red 91 is fine for a Fino. Filled up at a garage, attendant saw green cap and didn't seem to worry that she was putting in red 91.

Does it matter? Or should I do what Yamaha requests, and use green 91?

Hi,

I have had a Fino for quite a while and I can say that either red or green 91 is good.

The red is the benzin, normal petrol, and the green is Gasohol, petrol mixed with 10% of ethanol I think.

If the motorcycle is not too old, the Gasohol is fine as they have been engineered for this kind of gas (if not, I think gasohol eats some rubber joints, but I am no expert).

Some say it is always better anyway to use the red stuff, that their motorcycle runs better with it, and has an increased ,mileage that compensates for the higher price...

Me, I put mostly the green one in my Fino, as it is cheaper and I don't notice any difference in my everyday use (and I don't really check precisely my mileage) and sometimes, I reward it with a little bit of red one if it has been good to me for a while (no flat tyre...).

So up to you, the only one to avoid is the diesel, red 91, green 91 or gasohol 95, they are similar for a Fino...

Just a quick remark, this bike is really reliable (I trust it more than my CBR150 these days), but just be careful with the tyres, quite fragile, and some shops don't put the right kind.

I am actually thinking of changing them for larger tubeless one, XSpeed in Bangkok has a set of 2 Mags+Tyres for the fino for 3990, I might switch, and correct the only major downside of this otherwise nice machine.

Cheers, enjoy and be safe.

My Mrs just spent 2000 baht sorting her Mio out (similar bike i think?)...very hard to start and felt like it was running on choke

Mechanic said it was due to gashol.. which as said above, isn't a problem if used everyday but this bike is a spare so would be sitting for weeks.

So, if you are planning to park up for a while i definately would recommend proper petrol (Benzine opposed to Gashol)...

same as post 3, i try to use red. but sometimes have to use green.

Ours with 12.5k km on it, we mostly run red 91 but also green 91 sometimes, never had any problems with it. Now with cheap red 91 we try sticking to that, but as I said; wont loose any sleep if we has to fill up with green now and again.

I think the ethanol based fuel (green) will dissolve any water that might be in the fuel system (tank), so it kind of clean your system.

My Mrs just spent 2000 baht sorting her Mio out (similar bike i think?)...very hard to start and felt like it was running on choke

Mechanic said it was due to gashol.. which as said above, isn't a problem if used everyday but this bike is a spare so would be sitting for weeks.

So, if you are planning to park up for a while i definately would recommend proper petrol (Benzine opposed to Gashol)...

Its a pity that so many people have problems with carb bikes that are declared to be "ready for gasohol". I wouldn't call a bike "ready for use with gasohol" if then i have to drive the bike every day. What if i go for songkran holiday a week or so? What if i am sick for some days? Does Yamaha really want me to change the petrol to red one before?

My Yamaha Elegance has a carburetor and I have put in whatever benzine that was available. Red or green 91 and sometimes green 95. Our village has no green 91 but they did have green 95. To be truthful, I can't tell any difference in performance or economy between any of them.

My Yamaha Elegance has a carburetor and I have put in whatever benzine that was available. Red or green 91 and sometimes green 95. Our village has no green 91 but they did have green 95. To be truthful, I can't tell any difference in performance or economy between any of them.

I generally use the red 91 but sometimes put the green in, usually if the red's not available.

However, I have found that leaving it parked for a few days, it will start up better with the red, although even then it's often a slow start. I think Yammies are notorious for this difficult start if left for a bit, no matter what fuel one is using.

I did use the green 95, perhaps by mistake or the station didn't have anything 91, and I sensed (no measurement at all, just a feeling) a bit quicker response and maybe a slight increase in power. Just a feeling, though.

I did also seem to go longer between fills, so perhaps consumption was improved? Again, nothing measured, so just the feeling.

Reason for Edit: added comment about leaving for a time

Edited by JusMe

Yes, we had this topic many times before. Some people have no problems, other have problems using gasohol. I have problems with my Yamaha Nouvo Elegance, so i avoid gasohol.

Maybe it is like this:

If you buy a new bike and take care from the first day on to avoid damage caused by gasohol you will have no problem.

But once the damage is done (carb and rubbers are slightly damaged), you will have problems whenever you fill in gasohol.

???

Don't know. Just a thought.

I've been running 95 gasohol in my 6 month old Mio 125, covered 26,000km on her now an the only problem i sometimes have is cold starting. Nothing too serious, just takes a little longer to kick into life from cold if left for longer than 48 hours. The bike starts fine under the 48 hour mark, maybe gasohol doesn't sit too well in the float bowl?

I've been running 95 gasohol in my 6 month old Mio 125, covered 26,000km on her now an the only problem i sometimes have is cold starting. Nothing too serious, just takes a little longer to kick into life from cold if left for longer than 48 hours. The bike starts fine under the 48 hour mark, maybe gasohol doesn't sit too well in the float bowl?

There is an electric start on the Mio... button under the throttle wink.png

Ohhh, is that what that's for.... I thought it was the engine kill switch ;)

Ohhh, is that what that's for.... I thought it was the engine kill switch wink.png

don't mention it !!....... always there to help with some sound advice for the biking noobs cowboy.gif

Ohhh, is that what that's for.... I thought it was the engine kill switch wink.png

don't mention it !!....... always there to help with some sound advice for the biking noobs cowboy.gif

You obviously didn't understand the terminology i used 'it takes alittle longer to kick into life from cold'.

Going with that assumption I'll let your comment about 'noobs' pass, as 'noobs' might also be slang for a friendly gesture...

Enjoy the New Year and ride safely, Karl.

My Elegance has a green 91 sticker on the gas cap. I can't imagine that Yamaha would recommend gasohol if there was any possibility that it could cause damage to the fuel system. In any case, I'm quite happy that the Elegance uses any fuel available with no problems. Actually our small village has only red 91 so that's mostly what I use.

No one will ever go wrong avoiding Gasohol. The stuff's just bad news. If you have no choice but to put a little in to get you to the next real fuel station, that's ok, but try not to allow it to be more than 1/2 of a tank of the nasty stuff - then you can fill up as soon as you reach the real fuel and dilute the damaging stuff down to at most 5%..