Stray Dogs

facey

I would say love it or leave it.

When I first got here 11 years ago there was a mass murder of the soi dogs on Koh Samet. They literally killed thousands and had them all piled up and burned. This blew me away as I was still under the feeling of entering a cool Buddhist dominated country.

When I asked my future ex wife how Buddhists could kill dogs like this her reply was "they don't like."

In the 11 years I have been here I have to say that I have NEVER had a problem with the soi dogs. I normally find one that i like outside where ever I'm staying and give him/her my scraps.

Mans best friend.....until he starts crapping all over the pavement and beach. Until he bites your ankle and gives you Rabies. Until he runs out on the road and makes you fall off your bike. Until he runs out in front of a car and makes you swerve and kill your self or others.....They are great to have around to protect your property...but a bloody annoyance at 0300 barking at bugger all waking up the entire neighbourhood..

Until a mad pack of them eat 37 small children in a particular area do not expect the locals to do anything about them, other than take them to a temple...

I like dogs. But not Thai dogs or Thai Soi dogs. I have had some bad encounters walking/biking around with them suddenly going for me. So far not bitten but close calls. Never make eye contact when there is a pack of them. Pretend they do not exist and they ignore you. Eye contact and walking into their territory is a recipe for trouble.

As for a solution....I have no idea........

Mans best friend.....until he starts crapping all over the pavement and beach. Until he bites your ankle and gives you Rabies. Until he runs out on the road and makes you fall off your bike. Until he runs out in front of a car and makes you swerve and kill your self or others.....They are great to have around to protect your property...but a bloody annoyance at 0300 barking at bugger all waking up the entire neighbourhood..

Until a mad pack of them eat 37 small children in a particular area do not expect the locals to do anything about them, other than take them to a temple...

I like dogs. But not Thai dogs or Thai Soi dogs. I have had some bad encounters walking/biking around with them suddenly going for me. So far not bitten but close calls. Never make eye contact when there is a pack of them. Pretend they do not exist and they ignore you. Eye contact and walking into their territory is a recipe for trouble.

As for a solution....I have no idea........

True what you say however TIT and we chose to live under these conditions

• 6 months later...

Aloha

The Pollution Solution Group are one of the guilty ones, we feed, water, apply mange medicine to around 50 dogs and when we can, take them to the vet, we had one dogs leg, amputated from car accident, owned by a homeless person, gave them some baht for the dog, named Heartbeat and had her adopted, (A rags to riches story) another dog lost her eye, both cost 2 thousand baht each.

Today at Soi 6 Jomtien Beach, a lovely lovable female dog, we named Sweetheart, that lives on the beach, is in heat and for the past few days 7 male dogs, fighting, trying to mate, scaring people, making a mess, we took her to the vet to be spayed and make it safer for the beach-goers, when the smoke clears, 2 thousand baht, she will need to stay there for 7 days, we feed, water the local, harmless, strays, or with homeless people, we find a fed, watered dog is not a problem, we are doing our best to spay and neuter these dogs, letting them, live out there lives.

We are always open for help, be it dog food or vet help.

We rather not, be the judge and jury of the lives of mans best friend, assisting them and reaching out for humane solutions is our goal.

Helping the Voiceless be it Children, Wildlife, Waterways, Soil and of course Mans best friend, is our goal.

I know of several friendly soi dogs that I pass when out walking. But when they form a large enough pack they lose their fear and become very, very, dangerous. I'm a big bloke but I would have no chance against a pack of 20 dogs, and that's the situation I once had to get myself out of. And they only form large packs where idiots come and feed them every day. Less food, less dogs.

Anyone who has never been threatened by a large pack of stray dogs should think twice before posting comments about how cute and loveable they all are.

Aloha

The Pollution Solution Group are one of the guilty ones, we feed, water, apply mange medicine to around 50 dogs and when we can, take them to the vet, we had one dogs leg, amputated from car accident, owned by a homeless person, gave them some baht for the dog, named Heartbeat and had her adopted, (A rags to riches story) another dog lost her eye, both cost 2 thousand baht each.

Today at Soi 6 Jomtien Beach, a lovely lovable female dog, we named Sweetheart, that lives on the beach, is in heat and for the past few days 7 male dogs, fighting, trying to mate, scaring people, making a mess, we took her to the vet to be spayed and make it safer for the beach-goers, when the smoke clears, 2 thousand baht, she will need to stay there for 7 days, we feed, water the local, harmless, strays, or with homeless people, we find a fed, watered dog is not a problem, we are doing our best to spay and neuter these dogs, letting them, live out there lives.

We rather not, be the judge and jury of the lives of mans best friend, assisting them and reaching out for humane solutions is our goal.

Helping the Voiceless be it Children, Wildlife, Waterways, Soil and of course Mans best friend, is our goal.

The govt vet by fire station charges 500 baht a spaying, I take lots of soi dogs,I take stitches out after about 8 days

Aloha

The govt vet by fire station charges 500 baht a spaying, I take lots of soi dogs,I take stitches out after about 8 days

Kapun Krup, Mahalo Nui Loa, Thank You Very Much

I know of several friendly soi dogs that I pass when out walking. But when they form a large enough pack they lose their fear and become very, very, dangerous. I'm a big bloke but I would have no chance against a pack of 20 dogs, and that's the situation I once had to get myself out of. And they only form large packs where idiots come and feed them every day. Less food, less dogs.

Anyone who has never been threatened by a large pack of stray dogs should think twice before posting comments about how cute and loveable they all are.

Some are cute and loveable like humans, some are also mean, run in packs, we were never promised a rose garden. we don't feed packs, we feed hungry, thirsty friendly, some scared dogs, If one is wise, one can tell the difference and avoid places others hang, be it gangs of humans or dogs.

Aloha

I have been looking for the govt vets near the fire station for years, and still cannot find it.

If you would feed stray dogs (cats ...)in my home country, you would get a lot of trouble with the authorities. There are asylums for these dog, where they care for these dogs with childish ambitions, but feeding these dogs is absolutely not allowed and every homeless dog will be caught immediately.

Sorry, but not to understand this, is kind of insanity or kind of mental disorder (not intended as insult). There is no room for discussion, if you are mentally healthy and an expert about this area.

I do not expect to be understood by these kind of people ...

Aloha

I have been looking for the govt vets near the fire station for years, and still cannot find it.

Entrance to fire station,off 3rd road,just by the gates,immediately on the left is the govt veterinary station
  • Like 1

Some are cute and loveable like humans, some are also mean, run in packs, we were never promised a rose garden. we don't feed packs, we feed hungry, thirsty friendly, some scared dogs, If one is wise, one can tell the difference and avoid places others hang, be it gangs of humans or dogs.

Quote from Pattaya New clippings today: 'The funeral service for a 2 year old boy who was savaged by two stray dogs close to his family home has begun at a Temple in South Pattaya.'

IMHO the priority is clear; free roaming, unsupervised dogs are a big risk and should be humanely put down. Children are vulnerable to these wild animals and should not be put at risk just because dogs are also pets. Some people have snakes as pets but I am sure you would not tolerate cobra's freely roaming around your soi day and night.

Aloha

its a tough one to find i went a few times before i found it, actually go as if you are going into the fire station on your left you will see it.

Quote from Pattaya New clippings today: 'The funeral service for a 2 year old boy who was savaged by two stray dogs close to his family home has begun at a Temple in South Pattaya.'

IMHO the priority is clear; free roaming, unsupervised dogs are a big risk and should be humanely put down. Children are vulnerable to these wild animals and should not be put at risk just because dogs are also pets. Some people have snakes as pets but I am sure you would not tolerate cobra's freely roaming around your soi day and night.

Actually i do have cobra's and dont have much say in the matter, not exactly going to try and stop them as long as they roam on by. Not sure to many people have "pet" cobra's. Regards the child well 2 years old and parents admitted they let him wander the streets was only a matter of time before some thing happened. All you need to do now is get the local authoraties to put in place the catching and putting down of the dogs in a buddist country.

Actually i do have cobra's and dont have much say in the matter, not exactly going to try and stop them as long as they roam on by. Not sure to many people have "pet" cobra's. Regards the child well 2 years old and parents admitted they let him wander the streets was only a matter of time before some thing happened. All you need to do now is get the local authoraties to put in place the catching and putting down of the dogs in a buddist country.

Sure, I get that it's not going to happen in Thailand and yes agreed that the parents were; based on the reported facts at least partly responsible. My reply was to the ops question 'How would you deal with the problem?' and also my reasoning.

If you would feed stray dogs (cats ...)in my home country, you would get a lot of trouble with the authorities. There are asylums for these dog, where they care for these dogs with childish ambitions, but feeding these dogs is absolutely not allowed and every homeless dog will be caught immediately.

Sorry, but not to understand this, is kind of insanity or kind of mental disorder (not intended as insult). There is no room for discussion, if you are mentally healthy and an expert about this area.

I would hate to see what would happen if Thais, Farangs and Wat's quit feeding, all of these dogs, at this particular time.

Until there is a humane solution, put into place with spaying, neutering, prisoners, housing, cleaning, training, for adoption, more Vets, discounting, so more people, would bring them in, a place for student Vets, to learn, on the job training.

A fed watered stray dog is a hundred times, more safer to be around, then a hungry, thirsty, rocks thrown at, abused, dog.

If all the gripers took a little responsibility, took an active part in helping instead of griping, being part of the solution is not only rewarding, it makes one realize they to can help, where you came from has no baring what so ever, to Thailand.

Many dogs are in heat as I type, male dogs like Farangs on Walking Street at Midnight, go a little crazy.

Shit happens, very sad about baby, untended, sound like she also could have been run over by a car, there is 100 folds, more dangers with all these, crazy drunk or not, drivers in a hurry going no where, except maybe hurting or killing someone else, the dogs are a very small problems compared to humans, we all need to take a long look into a mirror before being judge and jury of anther's life, be it dog, wildlife or whatever.

• Like 1

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.

— Mahatma Gandhi

Now, I do not want to place fear in any of the dog haters hearts, so I will tell my story in a very gentle fashion, but you guys will probably whine to the mods about big bad dog loving Hyku. A bit annoyed about my opening comment? Good. because you may now realize how dog lovers feel about inflammatory anti-dog posts. Take your hate somewhere else!

I was chillin' will my beach dogs(the Thais take care of them, so this clown was lucky he ran in to me) and the dogs start barking at some guy. They must have sensed he was an as$%le because the guy picks up two bricks, and starts menacing the dogs. They have made no attempt to bite him , but he keeps lunging at them. He looks all big and tough with his bricks and black t-shirt

So heres the problem. Guy walks near ur dogs, do nothing. Ur dogs start to bark. U do nothing. Not trying to shut them up, not tellin mr big guy that dogs are no danger. No, u do nothing. Actually u start to play mr tough guy urself tellin him(threatin) he gonna have troubles if he gonna protect himself. Lol.

This is what i would do. If a dog start to bark at me 1st thing i do is locate closest stick, brick or whatever to protect myself. If ur dog come to me(they usually try to approach u from behind) i would show them a stick, maybe even swing it a little, if dog continue to approach id use it. Becouse rabies shots are expensive and i value my life.

Ps my english suck, i know

Now, I do not want to place fear in any of the dog haters hearts, so I will tell my story in a very gentle fashion, but you guys will probably whine to the mods about big bad dog loving Hyku. A bit annoyed about my opening comment? Good. because you may now realize how dog lovers feel about inflammatory anti-dog posts. Take your hate somewhere else!

I was chillin' will my beach dogs(the Thais take care of them, so this clown was lucky he ran in to me) and the dogs start barking at some guy. They must have sensed he was an as$%le because the guy picks up two bricks, and starts menacing the dogs. They have made no attempt to bite him , but he keeps lunging at them. He looks all big and tough with his bricks and black t-shirt, yet he is messing with my pals, so I mess with him. I tell him that if he hurts those dogs, he will have a big problem. I was gonna get past those bricks, and put him down(pun intended) Mr tough guy -555 - sensed that I meant business, so he goes from 'aggressive pit bull ' to 'whimpering poodle' and walks off. Lucky man, because he almost encountered the young Thais who were coming down the steps to play soccer.

I have two well trained and cared for family dogs. There's nothing I'd like better than to take them out for a walk but when I try, including trips to the beach, it turns into a non stop dog fight, even with my dogs on the leash, so I've given up trying. Why should my dogs have to run the gauntlet of half starved, mangy feral curs just to get some exercise?