Hitachi Hard Disk Drive

Hi folks...the HDD in my Lenovo Thinkpad failed completely yesterday. It was bought in Hong Kong two years ago and it is out of warranty. Can anyone advise me of a stockist of Hitachi hard drives on the island? Or even a shop with a selection of hard drives? Many thanks.

Well, the 2.5 incher from my (expired) Dell won't fit. It has a bonded plastic fitting to make sure it is Dell-specific.

Thanks for the advice, PoorSucker. I'll check it out.

I have two old disks from old dell laptops that I use in external cases as backup media, works fine.

Nothing dell specific there.

Well, the 2.5 incher from my (expired) Dell won't fit. It has a bonded plastic fitting to make sure it is Dell-specific.

I have two old disks from old dell laptops that I use in external cases as backup media, works fine.

Nothing dell specific there.

Same. My friends 4 year old Dell spat the dummy around the middle of last year. She was so sad as it had 1000's of pictures and music on it. She gave it to me for spare parts so I got an external case and put in the HD before giving it to her a few days later. She was so happy she had tears in her eyes. So at least some Dell laptop HD's fit into generic casings. If only manufactures done the same thing with batteries and power supplies there would be much less waste.

There are two types of 2.5" hard drives, sata and ide, other than that they are all the same, some manufacturers fit extra casings to them.

Come to think of it, there was thin metal case on the HD when I removed it. I just grabbed a secutity star TORX and took it off. As you say, they are all the same but unless someone knows what I bare bones HD looks like then they don't know what to remove. Better than the days of MFM, RLL, ESDI etc. First HD I bought was in '82. 5MB Winchester, cost me 400 quid.

you can normally remove this plastic thing and you'll find out it regular SATA under.