Home Security Systems

WhiteShiva

Our area have experienced a few burglaries over the last months, and we are considering installing a security system. I have seen standard systems for sale, but would like to have a tailor-made solution (motion sensors indoors/outside, gas alarm in kitchen, magnetic switches on doors & windows, panic button, automatic call-up upon activation, etc).

Does anyone know of a company or individuals in or around Bangkok that could provide this service and knows what they are doing?

Our area have experienced a few burglaries over the last months, and we are considering installing a security system.  I have seen standard systems for sale, but would like to have a tailor-made solution (motion sensors indoors/outside, gas alarm in kitchen, magnetic switches on doors & windows, panic button, automatic call-up upon activation, etc).

Does anyone know of a company or individuals in or around Bangkok that could provide this service and knows what they are doing?

Try www.mpa-security.com.

Good but not cheap.

Automatic call up? To who?

In my limited experience they are not worth the trouble they cause. Motion alarms seem to view a lizard walking across a sensor as an intruder rather than a welcome guest. Magnetic alarms assumes people will turn the alarm off prior to opening. Believe the alarm system is more likely to be turned off forever the first time it goes off on a false alarm.

I believe there are several firms that do these systems but I don't believe that anyone is going to do more than cover there ears and curse the farang upon an alarm in the middle of the night.

Dogs are acceptable noise makers and will usually provide a good amount of protection as the other house without dogs is a safer target.

I would consider some automatic lights on motion detectors however as they are less likely to make you the black sheep and probably scare a thief off.

Dogs are acceptable noise makers and will usually provide a good amount of protection as the other house without dogs is a safer target.

I think that is a good choice too. We have a large dog that no one would dare to tangle with (someone did once, won't do it again). :D

I would consider some automatic lights on motion detectors however as they are less likely to make you the black sheep and probably scare a thief off.

A friend of mine had motion detectors in his yard that setoff large very bright spotlights covering the entire area because he lived in a bad area. He also had an audible alarm inside that went off also and connected to his entry gate. He had been broken into once and not since after adding these. He said the thieves had a lot of patience when he saw a pile of broken hacksaw blades under his window in back. :o

I had the same question a few years ago when we built our house. I ended up being referred to Graham Murrell at www.risk-pro.com. Happy I did. He ended up talking us out of a lot of things we thought we would need. Still, at the end of the day, nothing beats having relatives watch the place when you aren't there and a yappy dog.

I had the same question a few years ago when we built our house. I ended up being referred to Graham Murrell at www.risk-pro.com. Happy I did. He ended up talking us out of a lot of things we thought we would need. Still, at the end of the day, nothing beats having relatives watch the place when you aren't there and a yappy dog.

Very good point not to leave the house unattended. A full time maid, member of family, or someone should always be home. Even if you have to borrow a neighbors maid after hours (when house owners have returned) to stay in your home during a vacation it is worth it.

Automatic call up?  To who?

The local 7-11, of course - who did you think? :o

In my limited experience they are not worth the trouble they cause.  Motion alarms seem to view a lizard walking across a sensor as an intruder rather than a welcome guest.  Magnetic alarms assumes people will turn the alarm off prior to opening.  Believe the alarm system is more likely to be turned off forever the first time it goes off on a false alarm.

I did say, and I meant "tailor made", i.e. I have the possibility to set the system up as I'd like to.

I believe there are several firms that do these systems but I don't believe that anyone is going to do more than cover there ears and curse the farang upon an alarm in the middle of the night. 

Well in my neighbourhood people actually pay attention, and we have had at least two break-ins that were foiled due to the alarm going off. In both cases, the houses were empty, but neighbours were out and about within minutes. It works - believe me.

Dogs are also living beings, and a larger burden than I am willing to take right now. Have had dogs before, and know the responsibility that comes with having them. Besides, I have two small kids, and will not take the chance that they and the dog(s) are not compatible. Perhaps later.

We already have automatic lights.

Edited by WhiteShiva

i bought a system in the US for $250. it has a wirelss motion sensor, smoke detector, and 2 door/window switches. you can add more gadgets of course.

the main unit has a code and a remote key fob like a car system. the system can call any number you want when activated so i have my cell number in there.

i got it from homesecuritystore.com , it's a visionics systems but there are many just like it.

Some companies

www.g4s.com

www.chubb.co.th

www.secom.co.th

www.pcs.co.th

they can usually provide 24 hour monitoring also in Bangkok

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

One more thing you can do is to take a trip down to the police station that covers the area that you live in and get to know them. Donations of various acoholic beverages around this time of the year never hurts. From time to time they may show up at your house asking for donations for various things, never a lot and in return people in the area will know that your place is considered hands off.

Some companies

www.g4s.com

www.chubb.co.th

www.secom.co.th

www.pcs.co.th

One more thing you can do is to take a trip down to the police station that covers the area that you live in and get to know them. Donations of various acoholic beverages around this time of the year never hurts. From time to time they may show up at your house asking for donations for various things, never a lot and in return people in the area will know that your place is considered hands off.

Most of the residents did this on the previous estate we lived and the break in rate for empty properties actually went up. Say no more. :o

Some companies

www.g4s.com

www.chubb.co.th

www.secom.co.th

www.pcs.co.th

Most of the residents did this on the previous estate we lived and the break in rate for empty properties actually went up. Say no more. :o

Bottom line is properties were empty. Point made earlier is never, ever leave things unattended.

Some companies

www.g4s.com

www.chubb.co.th

www.secom.co.th

www.pcs.co.th

Bottom line is properties were empty. Point made earlier is never, ever leave things unattended.

Some people may say its a waste of time to install security systems - but i personally feel it is better to do something than do nothing at all. The general opportunist thief will run on the sound of an alarm - if you have one that is.

Just my opinion. No point grumbling after the event!! :D

Some companies

www.g4s.com

www.chubb.co.th

www.secom.co.th

www.pcs.co.th

Some people may say its a waste of time to install security systems - but i personally feel it is better to do something than do nothing at all. The general opportunist thief will run on the sound of an alarm - if you have one that is.

Just my opinion. No point grumbling after the event!! :D

I totally agree with you. I've got two maids, a security system, two dogs, and I live in a family compound. Still I don't feel safe. Maybe it is because I grew up in New York.