Thai Officials, PM Yingluck Face Blame Of Flooding

webfact

Officials, PM face blame of flooding

Chularat Saengpassa,

Thasong Asvasena

The Nation

30173385-01_big.JPG

A landmark verdict in October 2010 could be a decisive precedent that pins responsibility on bureaucrats and the government

A landmark verdict in October 2010 that found fault with the Royal Irrigation Department (RID) in a water drainage operation and ordered payment of compensation to the plaintiffs could serve as a precedent in a complaint lodged with the Central Administrative Court in December against the prime minister and heads of 10 government agencies over mismanagement of the recent flooding.

The Central Administrative Court ruled in October 2010 that the Royal Irrigation Department (RID) was at fault in a water drainage operation in Sing Buri, which resulted in two rice mill plants being flooded by the swelling Noi River in the 2006 wet season. The court ordered the RID to pay compensation to both complainants.

This is the first time that Thailand's prime minister and the directors-general of key agencies are facing litigation through an administrative judicial process.

Citing regulations stipulating the RID's duties, which include "prevention of flood and adopting measures to prevent flood-caused damage", the court ruled on October 8, 2010 that if the 12th Regional Irrigation Office, located in neighbouring Chainat - an RID subordinate unit - had not drained excessive volumes of flood water, the plants and rice products belonging to both complainants would not have been inundated and thoroughly damaged.

damage payouts

The complainants - Mana Fuengfoo Mill Limited Partnership and Mana Feungfoo Sing Buri Mill Limited Partnership - have received compensation from the RID for half of the damage suffered by their plants, and 30 per cent of other costs incurred by them to cope with loss.

The verdict found that the RID, which supervises the Chainat-based office, was at fault for causing damage to both the complainants' mills, but did not impose any obligations on it or the office, under this administrative judicial process. Relying on legal adaptation relevant to the Tort Law under the Civil Code, the judges could only order the RID to pay the amounts they ruled at the request of both complainants.

The RID is obliged to carry out a number of duties under the 1942 organic law that created it and a 2002 law on administrative duties and good governance that all state agencies are required to follow. Apart from irrigation duties and flood and water management, the court said, the RID is also required to "prevent damage to be caused by its flood and water management and operations" along with dam operations and marine traffic in waterways under its supervision.

After hearing testimonies from both sides while verifying documentary and photographic evidence, the verdict said that the 12th Office released 3,000 cubic metres (units) per second from Chao Phraya Dam via the Noi River, which normally accommodated only 2,100 units per second on several occasions in the months before the flood peak in October 2006, without prior supervision and careful decision by the RID, which could have foreseen an extra amount of water travelling southwards.

"Since water management and subsequent water drainage are the RID's duties, and the excessive water released by the 12th Office caused the Noi River to swell and flood the complainants' properties, the RID, which is the 12th Office's supervisory body, is therefore held responsible for the damage done," the verdict concluded.

The RID's defence that the extra huge volume of rainwater brought by storms that year from the widespread influence of global warming were not viable and not accepted, the court said. The excessive drainage rate at 3,000 units could have been avoided if the 12th Office and RID had jointly managed to seek better solutions, as the complainants' evidence showed that other irrigation officers, who too faced the problem of excessive flood water, could cope well with it.

case against PM, govt heads

As for the amount of compensation the RID is required to pay, the court said it was cutting by half the amount of compensation to be paid for damage caused by the flood to the main plant and machinery of the complainants as full compensation would not be fair to the RID.

Also, complying with the demand for full compensation could cause problems in future flood and water management. The compensation for other costs was reduced to 30 per cent because the complainants did not provide a third-party account to verify the actual damage conditions, the court said.

Mana Fuengfoo Mill will receive Bt464,620.75, half of the amount for damage the flooding caused to its main plant and machines, and Bt41,400 for other costs it incurred, without annual 7.5 per cent interest because it was not requested. Mana Feungfoo Sing Buri Mill will receive Bt669,071 in damages for property, and Bt4.23 million for lost rice seeds, along with the annual 7.5 per cent interest until payment is fully made.

Stop Global Warming Thailand chairman Srisuwan Janya and 351 other flood victims lodged a complaint with the court on December 21 last year, accusing Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra and the heads of nine departments, plus Bangkok Governor Sukhumbhand Paribatra, of mishandling flood and water management in various cases. That included the use of 'big bags' and drainage of water trapped in two key dams.

They have demanded a huge amount of compensation and asked the court to order them an overhaul of existing water and flood management for the future.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-01-09

A nice legal precedent to December where releases knowingly exceeded the capacity of the river, compounded by releases being delayed by Ministerial fiat. The question is, if the Minister's orders directly caused the Ministry to be sued, is he, and possibly his superiors, liable for damages awarded?

Wouldn't it be nice if politicians had to accept responsibility for their decisions? Perhaps then they would be reluctant to accept positions for which they are clearly incompetent.

• Like 1

If yuo want to lay blame, start by blaming annual rains and gravity. Blame for inevitable future floods can be laid upon current and future politicians who will inevitably require mega bucks for trying to keep Bkk from flooding. Yes, this nearly 10 year old case does create precedent for upcoming blame and lawsuits. But let's get away from the blame-game for a moment and realize that trying to keep the Bkk region dry is like trying to keep a kid from asking for ice cream at an amusement park on a hot day. The sooner Bangkokians move to higher ground, the sooner the cycle of spend-flood-spend-flood-compensate-spend-lawsuit-flood-spend-flood ......will lessen.

A nice legal precedent to December where releases knowingly exceeded the capacity of the river, compounded by releases being delayed by Ministerial fiat. The question is, if the Minister's orders directly caused the Ministry to be sued, is he, and possibly his superiors, liable for damages awarded?

Wouldn't it be nice if politicians had to accept responsibility for their decisions? Perhaps then they would be reluctant to accept positions for which they are clearly incompetent.

What? And no mention of blaming Mr. Abhisit's government? After all, the Democrats were in power. According to your logic, the PM and his party must be held responsible. I'm not blaming the former PM for the damage. However, I bet you will blame the current PM and government for the recent flood damage, right?

Know what's interesting? The officials and engineers that were in office for the 2010 loss, were still in office for the 2011 losses. Using the logic of the TVF haters, one can ask why Mr. Abhisit didn't terminate these officials? How come he didn't do something? However, the double standard applies as they won't say that about Mr. Abhisit, but will just continue to blame the popularly elected Madame Yingluck for the 2011 floods.

I don't hold Mr. Abhisit responsible for the 2010 losses anymore than I hold PM Yingluck responsible for the 2011 losses. This is Thailand and incompetent bureaucrats, whether they be engineers or administrators, remain at their jobs.

Edited by geriatrickid
  • Like 1

What? And no mention of blaming Mr. Abhisit's government? After all, the Democrats were in power. According to your logic, the PM and his party must be held responsible. I'm not blaming the former PM for the damage. However, I bet you will blame the current PM and government for the recent flood damage, right?

Know what's interesting? The officials and engineers that were in office for the 2010 loss, were still in office for the 2011 losses. Using the logic of the TVF haters, one can ask why Mr. Abhisit didn't terminate these officials? How come he didn't do something? However, the double standard applies as they won't say that about Mr. Abhisit, but will just continue to blame the popularly elected Madame Yingluck for the 2011 floods.

I don't hold Mr. Abhisit responsible for the 2010 losses anymore than I hold PM Yingluck responsible for the 2011 losses. This is Thailand and incompetent bureaucrats, whether they be engineers or administrators, remain at their jobs.

Agriculture Minister Theera Wongsamut yesterday acknowledged that the controversial decision to delay the release of water from the country's major dams had been made by the government.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/511551-i-ordered-a-delay-in-the-release-of-water-from-dam-agriculture-minister-theera/page__hl__delay water release 2011

Agriculture Minister Theera Wongsamut yesterday acknowledged that the controversial decision to delay the release of water from the country's major dams had been made by the government.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/511551-i-ordered-a-delay-in-the-release-of-water-from-dam-agriculture-minister-theera/page__hl__delay water release 2011

Just ignore GK. No matter how much fault rests with the current government, he will try and shift the blame to Abhisit. He has about as much capacity for logic and critical thinking as a hypochondriac in an emergency room. Nobody knows if the Abhisit administration was complicit in this as yet, and if so, how much responsibility they hold. It is quite clear however that both the current government and the BMA are directly responsible for this crime against the citizens of this country based on their own statements. They will have ample time during their defense to try and shift blame elsewhere. We don't need to speculate about it in this thread.

Unlike GK who seems to want to let all criminals go free, I hold everyone who abused people for political gain responsible. And so far, that means PM Yingluck as Theera's superior is directly responsible for what happened. Sukhumbhand is also responsible by his own admission. Nobody has made any convincing argument yet that Abhisit's government made the decisions they did for political reasons. But I'm sure if there is even a kernel of truth to that, it will be hashed out in court.

Flood victims are victims. Period. There is no need to try and politicize people's pain.

• Like 2

Actually, no blaming of anybody's government - just a call for ministerial responsibility.

Glad you enjoyed your little rant though, as biased as usual but shorter.

You have to wonder who owns or is significant shareholders in

" Mana Fuengfoo Mill Limited Partnership and Mana Feungfoo Sing Buri Mill Limited Partnership"

Yes, they one a suit agains the RID. but WHO are they.

Though Thailand doesn't use precedent law,

if one is waved in front of a judge hard enough he may reference it in a decision.

Certainly this doesn't bode well for the current RID

and who ever ordered the dams to not release more water earlier.

Actually, no blaming of anybody's government - just a call for ministerial responsibility.

Glad you enjoyed your little rant though, as biased as usual but shorter.

Oz don't be bothered by the kneejerk defense of the indefensible.

How funny. how can a government that took office a month for the flooding started be responsible for the flooding. What happened to all previous government and all officials who did nothing for 50 years. what about Bangkok Governors that were too busy filling klongs to make roads so the water could not go anywhere. What about project developers that took up the land near the rivers so the river scan no longer store excess water. Maybe even the rainmakers are to blame in that case. The bottom-line is that Thailand should rid itself of all academics, directors of state organizations, all royalist and the elite, who all have too much vested interest. They are in power forever but never touch the status quo. What about the guilt of abhisit, the army or even the city planners that were listing to ill advise from the people that own Thailand?

How funny. how can a government that took office a month for the flooding started be responsible for the flooding. What happened to all previous government and all officials who did nothing for 50 years. what about Bangkok Governors that were too busy filling klongs to make roads so the water could not go anywhere. What about project developers that took up the land near the rivers so the river scan no longer store excess water. Maybe even the rainmakers are to blame in that case. The bottom-line is that Thailand should rid itself of all academics, directors of state organizations, all royalist and the elite, who all have too much vested interest. They are in power forever but never touch the status quo. What about the guilt of abhisit, the army or even the city planners that were listing to ill advise from the people that own Thailand?

"..........Thailand should rid itself of all academics, directors of state organizations, all royalist and the elite, who all have too much vested interest."

The killing fields comes to Thailand.

"..........Thailand should rid itself of all academics, directors of state organizations, all royalist and the elite, who all have too much vested interest."

Exactly the thoughts that came to my mind also.

Another victim of blinding ideology lacking all forethought.

Which is what allowed the KR to take root in Cambodia.

Having met Sydney Shandberg, I know he would be aghast at this comment.

Edited by animatic

Why blame the flood on her. God make rain, not Yingluck.

YS is not God, she is not even close to be pass as one.

And worse of all, the Royal Rain is not even associated with her or her government.

Why are you blaming ME for the rain (please don't sue me)???

She is not being blamed for the rain (royal)?? it was her pathetic and abysmal handling of the flood disaster that she she deserves to be blamed for as she is not the right person for this top job, as are her dumb cohorts posing as ministers - we all know WHY she is there and what she has been instructed to do!!!!!

I am not a Shinawatre apologist, but I don't see what Ms Yingluck and her handlers did which was so wrong. Too much water was withheld in upstream dams. If that's indictable, then indict the 'experts' who oversee dam management.

Lots of water fell in 2011, but am still not convinced it was an exceptionally rainy year. Perhaps the Shinawatre clan could be partly to blame, because they're one of the largest group of investors in housing developments in the Chao Praya watershed - housing developments which cover and seal soil with endless amounts of cement and asphalt. But that's considered a non-issue by the powers that be.

For those who want to levy blame, wait a few years when floods are worse, and downtown Bkk suffers standing water for months-on-end. Then they can blame all the preceding governments for not having the foresight to plan ahead - by moving as many people and things out of Bkk - to higher ground.

Who is blaming the present government for the flooding

Flooding is a natural problem

The problem is the way they acted during the flooding

If you want to be in Government you have to take responsibilty for what you do

and if you put idiots into positions that they have no idea what they are doing, then they have to be responsible

• Like 1

And worse of all, the Royal Rain is not even associated with her or her government.

My Thai wife laugh's at your posting

This is Thailand

God is Budha and he would do no harm to his people

Must be the cause of greedy Thais

Don't you just love them

"Agriculture Minister Theera Wongsamut yesterday acknowledged that the controversial decision to delay the release of water from the country's major dams had been made by the government. "I admit ordering a delay in the release of water into the plains areas so that farmers could harvest their crops first," he said"

The responsibility lays squarely at the burberries of her and her cronies.

"I am no Farang. Neither do I want to be one."

Its the smell isn't it?

"Agriculture Minister Theera Wongsamut yesterday acknowledged that the controversial decision to delay the release of water from the country's major dams had been made by the government. "I admit ordering a delay in the release of water into the plains areas so that farmers could harvest their crops first," he said"

The unwitting hoarding of water in the dams contributed to the 2011 flooding, but the issue is bigger than that. It's nature. It's water seeking its level. It's gravity. It's a city sited on a delta mud flat which has no discernable slope. Bangkok could try a New Orleans type fix, and build barriers all around, but look how well it worked there. Plus, the US has a lot more revenue to spend for such things. Trying to keep Bangkok from flooding has already sucked up a large portion of Thai revenues, and the dumping of investment will increase exponentially this year and years to come. It will necessitate massive borrowing, and who will be surprised when those borrowed trillions won't be paid back? It will have a profound effect on the economy.

All the while, nature will continue do its thing (including sinking Bkk by 10 cm per year, plus rising seas) without any concern about people or economics or the sanctity of this or that.

The unwitting hoarding of water in the dams contributed to the 2011 flooding, but the issue is bigger than that. It's nature. It's water seeking its level. It's gravity. It's a city sited on a delta mud flat which has no discernable slope. Bangkok could try a New Orleans type fix, and build barriers all around, but look how well it worked there. Plus, the US has a lot more revenue to spend for such things. Trying to keep Bangkok from flooding has already sucked up a large portion of Thai revenues, and the dumping of investment will increase exponentially this year and years to come. It will necessitate massive borrowing, and who will be surprised when those borrowed trillions won't be paid back? It will have a profound effect on the economy.

All the while, nature will continue do its thing (including sinking Bkk by 10 cm per year, plus rising seas) without any concern about people or economics or the sanctity of this or that.

I thought it was the decision to put the Red Shirts rice crop above the safety of the country for political gain. "Look what we did for you guys, we held the water for another crop." Obviously not properly considering the ramifications. With a death toll reaching 1000 you would think some one would be held accountable. As for it contributing, seems if the water was not held the disaster would not have occurred. When the inevitable was known for months and very little was done it just magnified this administrations shortsightedness and stupidity. Just my opinion.

Would you prefer that they hone their skills first with foreigners that abuse their guest status?

Its the smell isn't it?

Nothing like a statement taken out of context.

Theera said storms had brought a lot of water in late June, with rain levels in the North over 50 per cent higher than usual. Therefore, the government had not wanted to release water, fearing it would cause more problems for farmers. Within the minimum and maximum water levels allowed at the Bhumibol, Sirikit and Pasak Jolasit dams, specific decisions on when to release water needed to be made on a case-by-case basis, he said.Weather forecasting had been problematic, Theera said, as the Meteorological Department can only forecast conditions one week in advance.

How long do you think the delay was for? Do you think a few days to allow the poor farmerts to gather their crops made that much of a difference? I don't, but you and the other experts carry on playing the blame game.

I thought it was the decision to put the Red Shirts rice crop above the safety of the country for political gain. "Look what we did for you guys, we held the water for another crop." Obviously not properly considering the ramifications. With a death toll reaching 1000 you would think some one would be held accountable. As for it contributing, seems if the water was not held the disaster would not have occurred. When the inevitable was known for months and very little was done it just magnified this administrations shortsightedness and stupidity. Just my opinion.

Agriculture Minister Theera Wongsamut is not a PT MP.

Would you prefer that they hone their skills first with foreigners that abuse their guest status?

I would prefer non-violent means of solving problems. Should TK's violent mob need practice, there a useless fawning sycophants closer to hand.

Its the smell isn't it?

Nothing like a statement taken out of context.

Theera said storms had brought a lot of water in late June, with rain levels in the North over 50 per cent higher than usual. Therefore, the government had not wanted to release water, fearing it would cause more problems for farmers. Within the minimum and maximum water levels allowed at the Bhumibol, Sirikit and Pasak Jolasit dams, specific decisions on when to release water needed to be made on a case-by-case basis, he said.Weather forecasting had been problematic, Theera said, as
the Meteorological Department can only forecast conditions one week in advance.

How long do you think the delay was for? Do you think a few days to allow the poor farmerts to gather their crops made that much of a difference? I don't, but you and the other experts carry on playing the blame game.

"...... rain levels in the North over 50 per cent higher than usual. Therefore, the government had not wanted to release water........"

which admits a decision to allow dams to fill despite heavier than usual rainfall. Why didn't they have releases up to the level that would not cause more than minor flooding? Because the Minister ordered releases to stop.

"the Meteorological Department can only forecast conditions one week in advance."

The obvious solution is to fire the lot and get some 16yo to look on the internet. Can YOU not find a reasonably accurate general forecast for a month in advance?

Are you for real? I bet they have room for you in North Korea.

Flooding began before this gov't took office.

Flooding began in July.

Yingluck took office August 9th.

Somehow you post seems to be ridiculed even though there were several months of discussion on exactly these points - 50 years of development, no attention to the consequences, it was inevitable.

Flooding began before this gov't took office.

Flooding began in July.

Yingluck took office August 9th.

Somehow you post seems to be ridiculed even though there were several months of discussion on exactly these points - 50 years of development, no attention to the consequences, it was inevitable.

What's your point, flooding began July where and how much????, there was time before the heaviest of the rain started to fill most rivers, come off it, (I wonder if you are thinking again anti Abhisit thoughts) it clearly shows the minister made a catastrophic blunder, in not releasing the water in the dam, early enough, nothing could have stopped flooding big time ...BUT not on the level it got to, That was the government of the day=be it unfortunately Yinglucks problem. Again on any government problem you babble about ways not to blame--are you Thai ??? most of them do this.

Edited by ginjag