Eight Melbourne Families Alive After Terrifying Phuket Boating Accident

webfact

Holiday boat trip turn into close shave with disaster

by: Shannon Deery

EIGHT Melbourne families are lucky to be alive after a terrifying Phuket boating accident left them fighting for their lives.

The tropical getaway turned to holiday horror when the group was forced to jump from the tourist speedboat they were on when it started to sink during a cruise to Phi Phi Island last week.

Seven children aged from two years and 18 adults were on board when the boat started to sink about 9.30am Thursday.

The families, members of the Banyule Cricket Club, had gone to Thailand for a wedding.

Philip Barnes, whose wife, Susan, and daughters Alyssa, 9, and Megan, 7, were also on board, yesterday hit out at tour operators, Destination Asia.

"The boat and crew were completely ill equipped for an emergency," he said.

"There were no flares and no radio on board, so if we weren't able to wave another boat down there would have been no way of telling anyone we were in trouble.

"They don't give a s--- about safety. It's just all money to them," he said.

Mr Barnes, who captured harrowing photos of the boat sinking, said the group was about 45 minutes into its trip when the drama unfolded. [more...]

Full story: http://www.heraldsun...2-1226239372915

- heraldsun.com.au 2012-01-09

footer_n.gif

The fact that there were life jackets on board is a major improvement.Two years ago, the chances are that there would not have been. Remember the boats that sank without the life jackets and then the government made an effort to ensure some rudimentary safety? Sure, this thread will be filled with finger wagging, but what mattered was the life jackets and they were there. Baby steps. We read about a dunking and not drownings now.

In respect to playing the blame game, it is common knowledge that health and safety isn't a priority in Thailand. Some responsibility rests with the people taking this excursion to determine if the boat met their safety standards. They could have asked, they could have verified. Considering the size of the boat, it would have been prudent to check out the kids' life jacket situation prior to departure. As for flares and a radio, it all depends upon the nature of the vessel and its intended use. Not blaming the clientele, but one doesn't know the reason for the vessel problem at this point.

Edited by geriatrickid
  • Like 2

You come to asia and expect the same standards as you have at home for half the price, get a life. Good that no one lost their life but people need to take a bit of responsibility for their own safty. I guess they want be coming back for a loveboat cruise.

Edited by moe666
  • Like 1

Why is there nothing in the Phuket Gazzette or the Nation about this? Could it be that it is an all to common occurance that doe's not make the news anymore or are they afraid that it will tarnish Phukets reputation?

This story is all over the media in Australia. Was listening to Melbourne radio this morning via the net as I always do and this subject came up. There were a number of callers who told of thier bad experiences in the tourist areas of Thailand, everything from thefts, intimidation and extortions. Things that many on here are well aware of. This incident certainly has not done the tourist industry in Thailand any favours expecially with Australians who make up a fair percentage of tourists given the close proximity to Australia.

You come to asia and expect the same standards as you have at home for half the price, get a life. Good that no one lost their life but people need to take a bit of responsibility for their own safty. I guess they want be coming back for a loveboat cruise.

To a point, I agree - in an ideal world we would all be aware of the dangers of a given situation at any one time. In practice however, to err is human. Yes, most of us enjoy an economical holiday, and perhaps even some of the attendant risks, in places like Thailand, where the wearying obsession in Western countries with health and safety is noticeably lacking. All well and good, until, due to your own lack of foresight or carelessness, something bad happens to you, or worse, your children.

Edited by asdecas

It is great to see no one was killed. But I have to say, you get what you pay for in Thailand the same as the rest of the world. There are a lot of very good boat operators in Thailand that I have used & a lot I have walked away from.

• Like 1

I was on one of those Phi Phi speedboats a few years ago, the boat was flat out doing power slides in the channel back to Phuket town, the channel was very narrow. The driver beached it and damaged the boat. no injuries.

Most boats speed in the mangrove area despite low speed limit signs. we were in a private boat a few weeks later doing the speed limit copping the wash from the boats racing back to the dock, full of tourists.

These speedboats are more dangerous than the small tour busses.

Some responsibility rests with the people taking this excursion to determine if the boat met their safety standards. They could have asked, they could have verified.

You come to asia and expect the same standards as you have at home for half the price, get a life. Good that no one lost their life but people need to take a bit of responsibility for their own safty.

I vehemently disagree. Tourists taking a trip in Thailand should expect simple, fundamental standards of safety, and it's the responsibility of the government and its tourism authority to ensure those standards are met. I don't know the details, and it's hard to say which "Destination Asia" organization is involved - there appear to be several. But people booking a tour in Phuket shouldn't be required to inquire into the seaworthiness of the vessel, or understand what's necessary for basic safety.

geriatrickid wrote: "Some responsibility rests with the people taking this excursion to determine if the boat met their safety standards. They could have asked, they could have verified."

And how could a tourist possibly be able to "verify" the standard of safety equipment and level of emergency staff training on a Thai boat? Try to ask about these any Thai boat skipper and my bet is the answer will come as a mindless gaze or at best "go look for someone else who can speak few words of English" syndrome. Any further attempts at checking their safety equipments and you may find yourself involuntarily swimming.

Edited by notime
  • Like 1

geriatrickid wrote: "Some responsibility rests with the people taking this excursion to determine if the boat met their safety standards. They could have asked, they could have verified."

And how could a tourist possibly be able to "verify" the standard of safety equipment and level of emergency staff training on a Thai boat? Try to ask about these any Thai boat skipper and my bet is the answer will come as a mindless gaze or at best "go look for someone else who can speak few words of English" syndrome. Any further attempts at checking their safety equipments and you may find yourself involuntarily swimming.

I have to agree. How many people here expats, do a mechanical inspection of the tuk tuks, taxis, baht buses and buses they use in Thailand. How many ask to see the driver's licence to see if he is qualified to provide the service. I am sure that most, if not all, simply assume that the vehicles they hire (boats included) are mechanically sound, safety has been taken care by the service provided and they are so qualified to operate them.

I vehemently disagree. Tourists taking a trip in Thailand should expect simple, fundamental standards of safety, and it's the responsibility of the government and its tourism authority to ensure those standards are met. I don't know the details, and it's hard to say which "Destination Asia" organization is involved - there appear to be several. But people booking a tour in Phuket shouldn't be required to inquire into the seaworthiness of the vessel, or understand what's necessary for basic safety.
Totally agree but experience living here suggests that the dept responsible for ensuring that basic standards are met are not the most conscientious, in fact they border on criminally negligent.

We are talking about awareness, do you use a taxi with its front fender missing, and the boot held closed by an elastic strap, and a few obvious dents, or do you use a taxi which is clean and presentable? I have got in a taxi, smelt the overpowering whiskey fumes from the driver and got out.

My life is my responsibility, no one else's, I see no point of being "in the right" in an accident if I am dead.

We are talking about awareness, do you use a taxi with its front fender missing, and the boot held closed by an elastic strap, and a few obvious dents, or do you use a taxi which is clean and presentable? I have got in a taxi, smelt the overpowering whiskey fumes from the driver and got out.

My life is my responsibility, no one else's, I see no point of being "in the right" in an accident if I am dead.

So you insist on pulling boats out of the water to inspect the hull prior to boarding ?

I think it is important to know if the tourists will have to pay for this boat, don't you?

Should not tourists know that if they pay to ride in a tuk tuk, taxi, motor cycle, jet ski, speed boat, etc etc etc

they might be held responsible for anything that goes wrong?

The tourists had plenty of life jackets. They had plenty of time to put life jackets on children. They spent very little time in the water.

What are they complaining about?

Would a flare have made any difference? How many boats would have simply ignored the flare?

Why is there nothing in the Phuket Gazzette or the Nation about this? Could it be that it is an all to common occurance that doe's not make the news anymore or are they afraid that it will tarnish Phukets reputation?

This story is all over the media in Australia. Was listening to Melbourne radio this morning via the net as I always do and this subject came up. There were a number of callers who told of thier bad experiences in the tourist areas of Thailand, everything from thefts, intimidation and extortions. Things that many on here are well aware of. This incident certainly has not done the tourist industry in Thailand any favours expecially with Australians who make up a fair percentage of tourists given the close proximity to Australia.

does the Australian news report if they had to pay to replace the boat?

Ah I see you have been to Melbourne. You describe them perfectly.smile.png Hard pressed to find a clean one in Melb.

Yes it is very hush, hush in the Thai media. nothing to see here move along. I am sure it will be in the Thai media if the tourists are charged with sabotage but I doubt if that will happen. How could the tourists be held in anyway responsible if they were not operating the vehicle.

So you insist on pulling boats out of the water to inspect the hull prior to boarding ?

An inspection of what is visible is often a good indication of the condition of that which is not visible.

It is fairly easy to tell a boat or taxi which has been cared for from one which has been neglected.

Yes it is very hush, hush in the Thai media. nothing to see here move along. I am sure it will be in the Thai media if the tourists are charged with sabotage but I doubt if that will happen. How could the tourists be held in anyway responsible if they were not operating the vehicle.

From what i have read here on thaivisa, it happens all the time with taxis and tuk tuks, probably motorcycle taxis as well, and they are not operating them, just hired them for a ride

Edited by wxyz

An inspection of what is visible is often a good indication of the condition of that which is not visible.

It is fairly easy to tell a boat or taxi which has been cared for from one which has been neglected.

Ever heard the expression "paint over the cracks". My experience tells me this is very much the Thai attitude towards maintainance. The Hull could have been rotten, as I suspect it was, but with a lick of paint would look shipshape.

I was on a trip to Phi Phi recently, there appeared to be no safety equipment and the boat itself was very poorly maintained, it was taking a lot of water on. When you book a trip like this, anywhere in the world, the operator is responsible for your safety and that is a fact. These boats should be inspected frequently, by a reliable, trustworthy body, if there is lone.