Getting From Bkk To Mukdahan

LuckyLew

I am traveling to Mukdahan next weekend and am thinking of traveling by VIP bus

Can anyone recommend a good bus company from Bangkok (MoChit)

- Name of company?

- Web site?

- Cost

- Does it have good air con.?

- Do you know the ticket Window # at bus station

Also, thinking of perhaps flying to Ubon then going onwards to Mukdahan

Does anyone know if there is a VIP van service from Ubon to Mukdahan

If yes ..

- Does it depart from Ubon airport?

- or does it leave from Ubon bus terminal

Thanks in advance

Lewis

I did a visa run from Bkk to Mukdahan some years back. It was the bus ride from hell. 16 hours. The (Morchit) bus must have stopped 200 times on the way back and detoured through every one horse town and village in Isan. VIP buses in Thailand mean nothing. Instead of stopping 200 times they only stop 50 times.

Buses and trains in this country are slower than India.....FLY to Ubon.. the extra expense is worth it.

by the way, Nokair has a promo on now til' the 13th of this month (but you have) to purchase the ticket

on-line btw 23:00pm - 08:00am to qualify and the cost from BKK to Ubon is BT.1111 not a bad deal.

(nokair.com)

on the bus side of your travel; I used a company called NAKHONCHAI AIR CO.LTD which has a

separate private terminal (near the Morchit) bus terminal. (02-936-0009 NCA number)

This company is good, buses are very clean and have multiple drivers on long hauls and even has

'First Class' buses depending on the route, in which Ubon Ratchathani route has two first class bus

time, along with gold class and silver class.

The bus ticket on first class was 750 baht about 6 month ago.

Once you have arrived to Ubon Ratchathani public bus terminal near Big C and Makro

you can transfer to the Green Bus (Sahamit Ubon) which will take you to Mukdahan on

a hourly basis; They have AirCon (nicer buses) but you need to check with the ticket counter

for the time. The cost to Mukdahan is under 200 baht.

If you prefer a van service pickup, I know that if you stay at the PLOY Palace hotel in Mukdahan

town, you can arrange a pickup and drop off from Ubon Ratchathani airport. Call or email the

hotel for more info.

A direct bus is the 20:20 from Mo Chit, operating every day. Cost about Thb500 arriving next morning around 06:00. Things have improved a lot since post #2 and I use this service regularly, getting off in Khao Wong, about half way between Roi Et and Mukdahan. It always arrives Khao Wong pretty well close on 05:00 which is why I estimate 06:00 to Mukdahan. My ticket is Thb450 one way, so about Thb500 at most all the way to Mukdahan.

I am on the tall side at 1.87m and seating is OK, better seat spacing than any of the airlines' economy, and air-conditioned, usually too much so, but blankets provided. The onboard toilet is usually very clean.

There is a 20 minute food stop in Khorat and I find it the best way to go. It saves driving myself and I don't really need a car once there, a little motorcai is enough for my local transport.

I think it is desk #36 or #37 at Mo Chit for the ticket, but people there are helpful. I would aim to get to Mo Chit around 18:30 so you still have some choice of seat selection on the bus. Once you have your ticket you can go eat in the food hall.

If I am squeezed for time I will sometimes take the early morning Nok Air to Roi Et and then a Thb1,800 1.1/2 hour taxi to Khao Wong so about 2 hours to Mukdahan. There is also a VIP bus but only as far as Roi Et, more comfort but same speed.

There are bus connections onwards from Roi Et to Mukdahan, but why bother, just take the direct route.

Hope this helps you and I am always interested myself in other posts/recommendations.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I just searched this topic out as I was pondering the possibilities of the Bangkok - Mukdahan trip; not as a visa run (not now, anyway) but in terms of the quickest and easiest way to get there. It's quite a hike from Ubon, but I note that there is a daily flight from Bangkok to Savannakhet, and of course with the Friendship bridge now open, Mukdahan is a short drive from Savannakhet airport. Has anyone used this option? Are there any visa issues? I realise one would have to buy a Lao visa, but are they available on arrival at the airport? Or would one have to get it in Bangkok prior to travel (which would then make it a pain in the ass).

Any info on this gratefully accepted! :)

I drove there several times, on one occasion, less that 50 kms from muk, a dog entered the road infrong of the car. I was towed into town.

They should build n airstrip there. I love driving long distances in Thailand, but this muk-bkk route is my least favorite.

I did the bus once in 2011, off a flight from Africa, was nt bad, arrived early morning. The driving was fine, just that you have to have your passport handy for checks.

Yes, fine, but that doesn't really address the question I'm asking, which is the viability of travelling to Mukdahan from Bangkok via Savannakhet. I know you can pick up a Lao visa at the Nong Khai crossing, as I've done that visa run. I also understand the same applies if you cross from Mukdahan over the new bridge. But can you get a visa on arrival at Savannaklhet airport?

Yes, fine, but that doesn't really address the question I'm asking, which is the viability of travelling to Mukdahan from Bangkok via Savannakhet. I know you can pick up a Lao visa at the Nong Khai crossing, as I've done that visa run. I also understand the same applies if you cross from Mukdahan over the new bridge. But can you get a visa on arrival at Savannaklhet airport?

VOA is available at all Laos international entry ports save for the one exclusion of crossing from Cambodia in the 1000 islands area of the Mekong (Dom Khong). As you note the 2nd Friendship Bridge has been open since 2007.

You could also fly Nok to Nakhon Panom, early morn flight and bus/taxi down to Muk. A nice pleasant 90min max trip from NP to Muk. However, Savan is a beautiful little city and it is nice to see both sides of the Mekong there.

Savan is a beautiful little city and it is nice to see both sides of the Mekong there.

Those were my thoughts. And it seems that Savannakhet airport is basically Mukdahan's local airport, too, being just over the river. If there are no visa complications then that would seem to be the quickest and easiest way to get from BKK to Mukdahan.

Thanks for the input to both of you.