Looking For A Job

Hallo All

I have been working at a government school in thailand for two years,teaching english mattayom 1-2-3, anubal and pratom and kindergarden and i have decided to give up my job due to some problems ( she keeps driving me mad with her impolite behaviours) i am currently having with one of the thai teachers working at my school,

weill ,which websites do you sugguest i should visit ?, some schools require photo copies of passports, would be it wise to send them photo copies of my passport or s?

i have got two bachelor degrees from twa universties as well as a certificate in computing from the city and guilds of london institute, however i dont have a toefl or tesol certificate

thanks in advance for the help

william

I find ajarn.com and eslemployment.com okay.

Otherwise check the newspapers - I think Bangkok Post and The Nation have a classified section (haven't read either paper in over a year, so maybe I'm mistaken).

Alternatively get the yellow pages and look up schools and apply to these directly (with cover letter addressed to the Director of Studies or the Head of the English Department).

Good luck!

This time of the year is rather difficult for finding work. I would assume that you are nearing the end of the year contract and if at all possible, I would suggest sticking it out and then leaving. Job opportunities will be more abundant and your chances will be better at finding a job you really like.

That said, I usually get resumes with a copy of the front page of the passport, copy of the degree and assorted other information, including a resume/CV.

Best of luck and keep us informed.

I usually get the resumes by email, but a fair percent drop them off at the school. The majority of the resumes are from Filipino teachers. One thing they do well is put a packet together with the information needed. Farang teachers usually drop off only a resume. Whatever method, here are some things that will help:

1. Resume/CV with identifying information (Name, age, Birthdate, Nationality, marital status) and a photo. A photo is a must. The Thai admin seldom approve anyone without seeing a photo.

2. Copy of the front page of passport--also visa page etc. might be helpful.

3. Copy of University degree and transcripts (if your transcripts are long then just state they are available upon request).

4. Copy of the police clearance.

5. Thai Culture and Training Certificate and TL if available.

6. A letter of introduction, which should not be too long and should include when you would be available etc. Make sure you proofread the letter. Spelling and grammar mistakes are quite common in these !

It's a good idea to scan these and have them in the computer to send by email to interested employers. If you are just fishing around for an interview, then make sure you note in your resume that you have these documents available.

ajarn is a good jobs site, tefl.com usually has some options.

You should get a tefl certificate.

Out of interest, what's twa university? trans world airlines? tibetan woman's association? - I can't work it out; why would you need or want two bachelor degrees?

A TEFL is fine and is particularly helpful for people with little or no teaching experience. It is also excellent for those who want to increase their skill level. Experience usually trumps a TEFL and it is not usually helpful in getting yourself legal.

If you have the time and the inclination, get one. If you are trying to get yourself legal, this is not a step in process.

• 2 weeks later...

One post with comments on spelling has been deleted.

Many of us are prone to typos and don't even get me started with what happens while posting using those little 'keyboards' on a mobile phone!

I usually get the resumes by email, but a fair percent drop them off at the school. The majority of the resumes are from Filipino teachers. One thing they do well is put a packet together with the information needed. Farang teachers usually drop off only a resume. Whatever method, here are some things that will help:

1. Resume/CV with identifying information (Name, age, Birthdate, Nationality, marital status) and a photo. A photo is a must. The Thai admin seldom approve anyone without seeing a photo.

2. Copy of the front page of passport--also visa page etc. might be helpful.

3. Copy of University degree and transcripts (if your transcripts are long then just state they are available upon request).

4. Copy of the police clearance.

5. Thai Culture and Training Certificate and TL if available.

6. A letter of introduction, which should not be too long and should include when you would be available etc. Make sure you proofread the letter. Spelling and grammar mistakes are quite common in these !

It's a good idea to scan these and have them in the computer to send by email to interested employers. If you are just fishing around for an interview, then make sure you note in your resume that you have these documents available.

Hello Scott,

I've heard about the Thai Culture and Training Certificate and Teacher's License but I don't have either and have never been asked for these. How would I go about getting the Thai culture and training certificate and teacher's license? There's no harm in having them and I think the Thai culture and training would be interesting.

The Thai Culture course is offered periodically at different locations. This is the thread where they are usually posted:

The Culture course is about 20 hours long and is usually held over a weekend. I don't know the locations or times of any right now. But keep an eye on the forum because people usually post them when they know about them.

If you have a Bachelor's degree in education, you should be eligible for a Teacher's License. If not then you either have to take a certain number of credits to make equivalent to an education degree.

The other option is to take the examinations which you will find information on in the link listed above.

Other posters may have specific information about both of these subjects.

hi glaswegian.

my school is currently looking for an English teacher for the start of the new school year May 2012.

please pm me and I will give you the email to send your resume to.

i assume you are scottish, so that will go down well with the thai teachers. they like irish and scots teachers. previous teachers from these countries have impressed them but they moved on.

hope to hear from you and good luck. the school is in the north east.

wai.gif