Uk Settlement Visa

Hi All,

I dont know if this has been touched on before but I want to know what my 40500 BAHT is paying for?

What do these guys do with the evidence that you give them? Do they have to ring your bank, workplace etc to confirm evidence is genuine? Do they have to consult with others? Do they have to go to extra lengths to process this application compared to other types of visa that constitute the extra money? I mean why is a settlement visa so much more expensive compared to say a Tourist Visa or a Marriage Visitor Visa?

Regards

Farang mai mee tang!

It's a good question. And you are, of course, right in asuming that there is not always much difference in the cost of processing a visit visa and a settlement visa. The Immigration Minister justifies it like this ( taken from his statement on the last rise in visa costs ) The three paragraphs do not follow each other naturally in the statement, so may be slightly out of context :

"The fees allow us to generate revenue which is used to fund the UK immigration system and to set certain fees below cost recovery to support wider government objectives. The revenue generated will contribute towards securing our Borders and controlling migration for the benefit of the UK.

In principle it is the right time to ask migrants to make a greater contribution to funding the UK Border Agency than was previously the case. Therefore we should continue to seek a shift in the funding provided by migrants to deliver the border and immigration system with a consequent reduction in the burden on UK taxpayers.

I believe these proposals continue to strike the right balance between maintaining secure and effective border controls, and ensuring that our fees structure does not inhibit the UK’s ability to attract those migrants and visitors who make a valued contribution. It is right that those who benefit directly from the immigration system should pay to meet the costs of securing the UK’s borders. This will help to support the immigration system, maintain public confidence, and ensure that migration is managed for the benefit of the UK."

Back in the dim and distant, well October 2000, when we were at the embassy submitting settlement applications for my wife and step-daughter I asked basically the same question. That is, why is a settlement visa over 4 times the cost of a visit visa?

The ECO I spoke to was quite forthcoming, and admitted that the extra work involved in processing the average settlement visa compared to the average visit visa was minimal. However, she pointed out that the settlement visa cost included the cost of future, in UK applications; i.e. ILR and, if required, FLR.

This seemed reasonable to me as at the time both FLR and ILR applications were free.

Then in 2003 the Labour government decided that what is now the UKBA should be self financing. They could not introduce a fee for every person passing through immigration at a UK port of entry, enforcement teams etc. So they introduced fees for in UK applications, including those for FLR and ILR. What they did not do is reduce the cost of settlement visas.

Despite vociferous opposition to this at the time from both the Conservatives and the LibDems, the coalition government have retained these fees and continued with Labours policy of regular, above inflation increases.

A cynical way of raising revenue which effects such a small percentage of the population that it has passed unnoticed by the majority.

I should add that I have absolutely no objection to paying a fair fee for a visa or leave to remain application; but the fees aren't fair.

Total cost in 2003 of visa and ILR: £260.

Cost today:

Visa: £810

ILR: £972 by post (£1350 in person).

Total: £1782 (£2160).

Even more if entering the UK as a fiance or proposed civil partner or for some other reason need to make an FLR application; £550 by post, £850 in person.

That's nearly a sevenfold increase in just 8 years (and there'll be another increase in April); more if an FLR application is required and/or applying in person. Wish my income had gone up as much!

What can be done? To be blunt; nothing. As I said above, it's an easy way for the government to raise money which effects very few and so wont lose them many, if any, votes. Particularly as all the three main parties are committed to it.

Back in the dim and distant, well October 2000, when we were at the embassy submitting settlement applications for my wife and step-daughter I asked basically the same question. That is, why is a settlement visa over 4 times the cost of a visit visa?

The ECO I spoke to was quite forthcoming, and admitted that the extra work involved in processing the average settlement visa compared to the average visit visa was minimal. However, she pointed out that the settlement visa cost included the cost of future, in UK applications; i.e. ILR and, if required, FLR.

This seemed reasonable to me as at the time both FLR and ILR applications were free.

Then in 2003 the Labour government decided that what is now the UKBA should be self financing. They could not introduce a fee for every person passing through immigration at a UK port of entry, enforcement teams etc. So they introduced fees for in UK applications, including those for FLR and ILR. What they did not do is reduce the cost of settlement visas.

Despite vociferous opposition to this at the time from both the Conservatives and the LibDems, the coalition government have retained these fees and continued with Labours policy of regular, above inflation increases.

A cynical way of raising revenue which effects such a small percentage of the population that it has passed unnoticed by the majority.

I should add that I have absolutely no objection to paying a fair fee for a visa or leave to remain application; but the fees aren't fair.

Total cost in 2003 of visa and ILR: £260.

Cost today:

Visa: £810

ILR: £972 by post (£1350 in person).

Total: £1782 (£2160).

Even more if entering the UK as a fiance or proposed civil partner or for some other reason need to make an FLR application; £550 by post, £850 in person.

That's nearly a sevenfold increase in just 8 years (and there'll be another increase in April); more if an FLR application is required and/or applying in person. Wish my income had gone up as much!

What can be done? To be blunt; nothing. As I said above, it's an easy way for the government to raise money which effects very few and so wont lose them many, if any, votes. Particularly as all the three main parties are committed to it.

Like all UK Citizens who wish to have their Spouses with them,the high Visa costs come as a shock, for both Settlement Visa and later ILR,but taking into account the real hidden value of affording them free NHS Medical care it is not so bad IMO.

given the choice of cheap Visas,or free health care,I wouldn't think many would opt for a cheap Visa.

Also after 1 year in the UK,they are entitled to free ESOL Courses to help improve their English towards ILR,the cost of a 1 year Course,would recover almost half of the initial Settlement Visa alone.

Edited by MAJIC

Cheers guys, some interesting replies. I wasn't aware that after 1 year they are eligible for free ESOL courses so thats a bonus but I still think its a bloody scandal.

I think the fees are so high that they do not ensure that low income families have a fair chance of getting a visa.

My wife and I are not poor however we are a youngish couple (late 20's) and we have a 2 year old son, how many couples in that age group have enough money to pay the odd 800 or 900 pounds for the good of the UK border? Not many, and some may say that people who are not in a financial position to 'support' their spouse should not get the visa......how are you meant to have money to support anyone when the bloodsucking government is taking 800 quid for some one to make a decision that ultimately shapes your family's future.

Regards

I too think the amount charged cannot be justified and is just another way of deterring "legal immigration".

I they are trying to justify it on the cost of running the UK Boarder Agency within the UK as well and the cost of detaining and repatriating Illegal Immigrants then why does the settlement visa cost more than a visit visa as most Illegal Immigrants either got in without a visa or overstayed on a visit visa?