What Is The Absolute Cheapest Way To Get From Bangkok To London?

notnek

Hi all,

I've been living and working in Bangkok for a few months now but I plan to visit home (London) at some point this year. I don't have much money and flights between the two destinations are extremely expensive. Does anyone have any suggestions for the absolute bottom price that would get me to London and back? What's the best website to use for planning this trip? I don't mind when the journey is, how long the journey takes or how many changes it involves, if it involves a train to another country first or how comfortable I'll be. I've heard about people taking courier flights. Has anyone had any experience of this?

I am also looking at this as we would like to take our newborn girl back to our families in England this summer (last 2 times back were during winter....er, no!). Remember that it is the Olympics this summer in London so flights are going to be problematic. The biggest portion of the fare is the LHR departure tax, so as soon as you make it a return the fare seems VERY high.

Keep searching!

Vayama is so good that it has gone out of business. Kayak will bring up plenty of good fares. It might also be worth rolling the, bucket shop, dice down on the (spit) Khao San as they are often more competitive.

Oman Air is still above some of the cheaper carriers like Jet Airways via India and some of the former Soviet Bloc carriers.

Oman has recently raised it's prices, cheapest to UK is Aeroflot, or you could try Biman.

Hitchhike is another option but you will have problems with Visas for some countries. There is a bus that does drive to Europe, it was in a topic on here before, try that.

Mate, if your that hard up why not work a bit longer and save up more or better still forget Bangkok and come back to the UK and get a job.

You must be living on the bones of your arse mate.

Not for me.

If I were the OP, I'd tell you to go **** yourself.

You have no idea of his circumstances.

My family and I are going back to UK for the first time for 6 years as it's been too expensive - should I go back to the UK and get a job and save? This trip is going to cost me around 300,000 baht and that's not including expenses in the UK.

If you have time, you can travel many exciting ways. You don't want to end up miserably working your ass off in the UK and coming here when you retire and die a year later. Live for today!

What about travelling by boat? My grandmother, who loves to travel, came by boat here once - I think it was with the navy.

Edited by Johnniey

Vayama is so good that it has gone out of business. Kayak will bring up plenty of good fares. It might also be worth rolling the, bucket shop, dice down on the (spit) Khao San as they are often more competitive.

Oman Air is still above some of the cheaper carriers like Jet Airways via India and some of the former Soviet Bloc carriers.

Biman Bangladesh Airlines have some good deal.

They use ex-Singapore Airlines DC-10.

http://widebodyaircraft.nl/dc10-35.htm

Edited by sparebox2

Moxtravel are always competative...forget the Air Asia thing, with baggage, enterntainment and food it works out more expensive....also look at airline websites...Middle Eastern....Thai were actually doing a good deal in Feb and March, not sure if still available.

Mate, if your that hard up why not work a bit longer and save up more or better still forget Bangkok and come back to the UK and get a job.

Not for me.

You make it sound so easy to go back to the UK and 'get a job'

Is there a magic formula, thus far undiscovered by us ordinary folk, that has evaded millions to find work in the UK quite that easily? I'm sure your advice was well meant but hardly helpful. Anyway, to the poster, good luck in your endeavours to get back to the UK and watch those bones in your arse(?. I'm sorry I can't suggest an ultra cheap way back other than maybe an el cheapo round the world ticket which used to work for me when my company was strapped for cash to send me away on business. That was many moons ago so the same rules may not apply any more.

• Like 2

Thanks for all the suggestions. Although it sounds fun, I don't think I'm going to hitchhike all the way but I'll definitely look into a lot of the things people have posted.

Plus a special thank you to Rocketman - I'm gonna take your advice: working in Thailand was a stupid idea. Plus I'm missing fish and chips and the X Factor too much. I'm hopping on a plane tomorrow to search for a proper job back in the UK.

Not for me.

You make it sound so easy to go back to the UK and 'get a job'

Is there a magic formula, thus far undiscovered by us ordinary folk, that has evaded millions to find work in the UK quite that easily? I'm sure your advice was well meant but hardly helpful. Anyway, to the poster, good luck in your endeavours to get back to the UK and watch those bones in your arse(?. I'm sorry I can't suggest an ultra cheap way back other than maybe an el cheapo round the world ticket which used to work for me when my company was strapped for cash to send me away on business. That was many moons ago so the same rules may not apply any more.

+1,

OP, A trip on a container ship sounds a nice adventure to me. jap.gif

some more stuff for thinking-or those who are able to:

1. its not so much the airline, but the SEASON that determines prices. next to that the time you want to spend in GB- 30 days is much less as 90 days-usually, and for most airlines.

2. it is not true that UK-exit taxes form the ''major''part of the full price- but I am aware Brits-and esp. those on this forum, like to hack AMAP to their taxes.

3. those compare-sites like exVayama/Kelkoo/Swoodoo/ hardly work for Thaild- as they have NO access to what airlines call confidential-agent only prices. if they show US$-then just turn it off, useless. Beter sites in THB will only show prices pre-tax-and that also makes no sense, as these differ a lot between airlines (as some put all the fuel surcharge in that portion).

They are quite fine for tix ex UK-but then use local ones, like westeasttravel or travelsupermarket-and then book direct with the airline mentioned.

4. I someone is really after the lowest price-surely s/he can do without the ''entertainment'' and food that AirAsia likes to sell? Noone forces you to take it up. In the KL-LCC you can still buy-at lower prices, behind safety check and before you board too.

Draftvader-what is your source vayama is out of business ?

Their website - vayama.co.uk This is the UK version we are talking about being that we are discussing UK fares. Vayama.com is still going, but selecting Thailand takes you to a newly branded site (same business) operating under a new name.

This site is no more competitive than all the other standard booking engines. It will all depend where you want to spend your money and whether you feel safe booking through an agent that has this message on one of their sites.

"Effective 15th November 2011, www.vayama.co.uk will no longer be functional for searching or booking travel. We thank you for your past business and support"

air asia have promotions , they had one recently and tickets started at 120 pounds plus extras,

they surrently have a 20 % sale and price is 166 pounds,

if you travel with only hand luggage and don't choose any extras can be done cheaply.

that's KL to london,

it's more expensive flying europe to asia they add 90 pounds tax.

maybe get a bus from bkk to KL or train and book a one way flight ?

Air asia x are quoting 7143baht for most of Feb, a few flights in march for 9131baht the odd 10634 or 12557baht otherwise its 15700 baht up to the end of July thats one way Kl to stanstead.

with taxes the 7143 comes to 8800baht

sorry gatwick

Edited by steve187

Air asia x are quoting 7143baht for most of Feb, a few flights in march for 9131baht the odd 10634 or 12557baht otherwise its 15700 baht up to the end of July thats one way Kl to stanstead.

with taxes the 7143 comes to 8800baht

sorry gatwick

Think they land at Gatwick now.

Just got an email from Jet Airways, saying that they will have a sale on 13th & 14th January only, with fully-inclusive (no changes & no refunds) BKK-LHR-BKK for B22,405, might be worth looking on Friday or Saturday !

Jet Airways also allow 32kg check-in luggage weight, way more than the others. I usually take about 16-18kg carry-on too so adds a lot of value to the ticket price.

134 pounds for KUL to london 21st feb all in with air asia.

that's with no luggage.

an extra 1 pound processing fee if paying by credit card or free if you have SCB online banking.

Yeah I found that earlier and it's a shame that I won't be free in Feb cause that's a huge drop in price compared to the summer prices.

134 pounds for KUL to london 21st feb all in with air asia.

that's with no luggage.

an extra 1 pound processing fee if paying by credit card or free if you have SCB online banking.

Yeah I found that earlier and it's a shame that I won't be free in Feb cause that's a huge drop in price compared to the summer prices.

That's great I wonder how much lower they go with no,clothes and no moneysmile.png