Corruption Is Just A Part Of Thai Society

webfact

Offerings made to the temple, and buying religious pendants are all done in public. It's the payments made to government officers, and most importantly the local police that are done in secret. Even though the cops don't try very hard to hide it, they never tell where the money goes. Corruption is part of the culture of Thais in positions of power. They have no problem with it. Some of those that make the payments do; I'm sure.

The writer of this article suggested that corruption is the way of Thai culture. That their religious beliefs are corrupt? I don't put my faith in any religious artifact, but I wonder what the author would think if someone disrespected a Bible, Torah, or Koran as he did their beliefs. More than anything, he said that due to the Chinese, Thais don't have any sense of right and wrong as we know it in the west. I don’t agree. Bribery is what it is in all forms. It's the bribery of people in positions of power; positions that effect millions of people, that makes bribery a big problem here.

I think that circumstance has much more to do the Thais tolerance of such issues, than their willingness to accept things that they probably consider bad.

It's the lack of ideals like "every man is created equal" " and everyone is equal in the eyes if the law" that cause the real problem in this country. It's the respect given to those in position. It matters not how that got it. It matters little what they do with it. It only matters that they have it. Young better than old, rich better than poor, and light skinned better than dark.,.........

I recently read that a suspected murderer was not taken into custody due to his political status. Legal; yes. Right, not by a long shot.

Few people here have the time or the resources to complain.... Except here