Good Honda Mechanic Needed In Phuket

aussiebrian

I tried in the Phuket forum a couple of days ago to find a mechanic for my 22 year old Honda Civic but only had one suggestion for Honda Anuphas. I blew the head gasket and Honda Anuphas quoted 15000 baht to change the head gasket but wanted to put in a second hand motor from Japan for 20000 baht. They said the second hand motor has no warranty so I don't think that this is a good choice. They said to recondition the motor would cost 50000 baht. For this cost I think I would be better off looking for another car.

My Honda has been fantastic till the radiator hose blew a few days ago, which caused the head gasket to blow. I would prefer to find a mechanic that could just replace the head gasket, and possibly shave the head if needed for a reasonable price. There must be some mechanic in Phuket that could do the job.

Thanks in advance.

Nobody seems to give you an answer so I give it a go but I don't live on Phuket anymore so don't know about mechanics there.

A blown head gasket is not the end of the world and many small road repair shops should be able to change the gasket relatively cheap.

However your car is 22 years old so maybe its coming to the end of its life and not worth the efforts and better spend the money on a newer car? You said that a radiator hose blew, does this indicate that the whole car is in general bad condition or is it still good? How many km's is on the clock? Not that you can trust that much if you only had the car for say 5 years.

Edited by guzzi850m2

Nobody seems to give you an answer so I give it a go but I don't live on Phuket anymore so don't know about mechanics there.

A blown head gasket is not the end of the world and many small road repair shops should be able to change the gasket relatively cheap.

However your car is 22 years old so maybe its coming to the end of its life and not worth the efforts and better spend the money on a newer car? You said that a radiator hose blew, does this indicate that the whole car is in general bad condition or is it still good? How many km's is on the clock? Not that you can trust that much if you only had the car for say 5 years.

Thanks Guzzi,

Yes, I know it shouldn't be expensive to repair. The car is 22 years old but in very good condition, iwith only 222,000kms on the clock, which I would believe could be genuine. It never uses any oil between changes, or water normally. It has just got me to and back from Malaysia a week ago. As I use my motorcycle for my main form of transport, sometimes I don't drive it for a week and it always fires straight up. I have driven it to Laos, and Bangkok on numerous occasions and has always been reliable. I would prefer to have it repaired than buying another I don't know.

As I had no responses, I went and saw the boss of my local garage, who I know quite well and he has suggested a small garage where I took it this afternoon.

If I was having to spend 50000 baht for a rebuild like Honda suggested, I would just get another car. This garage has said it will be under 10000 baht and with all new hoses and a warranty.

Thanks for your reply.

Honda dealers way overcharge for just about anything apart from the regular book service, but I guess you found that out now:) If anything goes wrong with my civic I take it to other garages (e.g. the air cond compressor packing up).