U.S. launches probe into video of U.S. Marines urinating on Afghan corpses

News_Editor

U.S. launches probe into video of U.S. Marines urinating on Afghan corpses

2012-01-13 08:01:24 GMT+7 (ICT)

KABUL, AFGHANISTAN (BNO NEWS) -- The United States government on Thursday announced it has launched an investigation into a YouTube video which shows U.S. soldiers urinating on the bodies of Afghans.

The 34-second video was uploaded to video-sharing website YouTube on Wednesday and appears to show four U.S. Marines, uniformed and equipped with combat gear, urinating on the bodies of three people, believed to be dead Taliban fighters.

About 20 seconds into the video, one of the Marines can be heard saying, "have a great day, buddy," apparently in a reference to one of the dead Taliban fighters. Another Marine then asks if a fifth person, filming the incident, got it on video. "Yup," he responds as another Marine is heard saying: "Golden, like a shower."

The NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) strongly condemned the actions depicted in the video, stating that the "disrespectful act is inexplicable and not in keeping with the high moral standards we expect of coalition forces."

The statement noted that the actions which appear in the video were conducted by a small group of Americans who are believed to be no longer serving in Afghanistan. "Nevertheless, this behavior dishonors the sacrifices and core values of every service member representing the fifty nations of the coalition," the ISAF said.

ISAF said a U.S. Criminal Investigatory agency has launched an investigation into the video, but gave no other details. "[The investigation] will be thorough and any individuals with confirmed involvement will be held fully accountable," the alliance said in a statement.

Meanwhile, the U.S. Marine Corps said its headquarters had been made aware of the video. "While we have not yet verified the origin or authenticity of this video, the actions portrayed are not consistent with our core values and are not indicative of the character of the Marines in our Corps. This matter will be fully investigated," a statement said.

Afghan President Hamid Karzai also denounced the act, saying he was deeply disturbed by the video. He went on to describe the actions shown in the video as 'inhuman and condemnable.' He also called for an investigation into the incident and punishment for those found responsible of the actions.

"We expressly ask the U.S. government to urgently investigate the video and apply the most severe punishment to anyone found guilty in this crime," Karzai said in a statement released by his office.

It was not immediately clear who appears in the video, who captured it and who posted it online, but it quickly received widespread attention and triggered protests in Kabul, the Afghan capital, as well as in Kandahar. The demonstrators accused the U.S. Marines of committing serious crimes.

The Taliban also criticized the video, describing it as 'barbaric' and questioning all of the other actions carried out during the past ten years that have not been captured on video and gone public through the media. "No religion that follows a holy text would accept such conduct," it said in a statement.

The release of the video comes just days after an Afghan commission set up by Karzai claimed that American forces have 'abused and tortured' numerous prisoners at Afghanistan's main prison, Bagram prison in Parwan Province. A U.S. embassy spokesman said it took the allegations seriously and said it investigates all allegations of detainee abuse.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2012-01-13

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Totally disgusting and Americans should hang thier heads in shame. This is not acceptable behaviour from civilised societies, it is bevaviour barbarians. Not American bashing I would say the same if it was Aussies or British or whoever.

Much ado about nothing. A stupid prank by a few nitwits, but urinating on dead terrorists is nothing compared to the egregious acts of violence perpetrated against women by the Taliban, including rape, abduction, and forced marriage.

much ado about nothing??? Would you say same the same thing if they were urinating on the body of one of your family members. It is totally sick and disgusting.

Edited by chooka

Much ado about nothing. A stupid prank by a few nitwits, but urinating on dead terrorists is nothing compared to the egregious acts of violence perpetrated against women by the Taliban, including rape, abduction, and forced marriage.

Except the US is an invading force and a beacon of all that is good in a democracy. This will only strengthen the Afghan resolve to hate everything the west has 'done for them'.

I'm glad most people don't think like you that because the Taliban does worse things then it this is all ok. Most people would like to think the west is above that and is therefore held to a higher standard otherwise all this fighting is just for nothing.

• Like 2

much ado about nothing???

Yes it was dumb, but I would be much more worried about those that throw acid in school girl's faces and cut off reporter's heads than teenage soldiers taking a leak on dead terrorists.

• Like 1

Except the US is an invading force and a beacon of all that is good in a democracy. This will only strengthen the Afghan resolve to hate everything the west has 'done for them'.

I'm glad most people don't think like you that because the Taliban does worse things then it this is all ok. Most people would like to think the west is above that and is therefore held to a higher standard otherwise all this fighting is just for nothing.

I agree. It is also a great way to transfer the moderates into fanatics and such a disgusting act increases the dangers not just to Americans but all coalition troops fighting in Afganistan.

Edited by chooka

Yes it was dumb, but I would be much more worried about those that throw acid in school girl's faces and cut off reporter's heads than teenage soldiers taking a leak on dead terrorists.

I never said it was much ado about nothing, you took a couple of words from my response to make it look like I condone this act. My full response was;

"much ado about nothing??? Would you say same the same thing if they were urinating on the body of one of your family members. It is totally sick and disgusting".

8 Aussie troops were on their way home from Afghanistan when they stopped at Dubai. There were told not to drink as they weren't off duty until they got home. They got on the booze in Dubai. They have now been sent back to Afghanistan to face their commanding officer, probably a good bollocking and a couple of days pay deducted from their wages then sent back on their way home. I would refer to them as being 'nitwits'.

Pissing on dead bodies is far worse than being stupid or a nitwit and it's good to see those in command treating it as a very serious matter.

Although it was bad from a PR perspective it really is understandable and not as bad as what the Taliban have done to their prisoners. Keep in mind that some of the marines enlisted at age 18 and his particualr unit saw 7 of its own murdered by IEDS. They have also had to deal with the IEDS on a regualr basis and pick up the pieces after the Taliban does its scorched earth routine burning down the schools and medical clinics. No, it was not appropriate behaviour, but I'm not going to lose sleep over it. The Taliban were dead and they weren't filmed being humiliated and then beheaded as is Taliban practice.

I don't think the pee video will harden any afghani sentiments as those that want to attack have already been indoctrinated as such.

Maybe one day we'll know the full story and what possessed these kids to show their disgust for the Taliban dead in this manner.

• Like 2

Terrorists? Fighting against an occupying force was once considered an act of bravery. I don't think the French resistance during WW2 were labelled terrorists but if you want to call them that then that is a matter for you.

Although it was bad from a PR perspective it really is understandable and not as bad as what the Taliban have done to their prisoners. Keep in mind that some of the marines enlisted at age 18 and his particualr unit saw 7 of its own murdered by IEDS. They have also had to deal with the IEDS on a regualr basis and pick up the pieces after the Taliban does its scorched earth routine burning down the schools and medical clinics. No, it was not appropriate behaviour, but I'm not going to lose sleep over it. The Taliban were dead and they weren't filmed being humiliated and then beheaded as is Taliban practice.

I don't think the pee video will harden any afghani sentiments as those that want to attack have already been indoctrinated as such.

Maybe one day we'll know the full story and what possessed these kids to show their disgust for the Taliban dead in this manner.

They aren't kids, they are adults.

Most Afghans don't have a TV or internet so they will never know it happened. The Pakistanis will probably riot and kill a few of their own again though.

btw - I saw the video and I can't tell if anyone was actually urinating or just acting like it. I also heard the video had been uploaded between March and Sept of 2011. HOW did it take so long to go viral?

Edited by koheesti

It is not " nothing " when there is a clear pattern of abuse by the occupiers bah.gif

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1370758/Shocking-video-shows-U-S-troops-cheering-airstrike-blows-Afghan-civilians.html

Most Afghans don't have a TV or internet so they will never know it happened. The Pakistanis will probably riot and kill a few of their own again though.

btw - I saw the video and I can't tell if anyone was actually urinating or just acting like it. I also heard the video had been uploaded between March and Sept of 2011. HOW did it take so long to go viral?

Yeah it is a long time to get out in the public domain. I think you could probably tell they were pissing with the comments they make such as 'golden shower' etc.

It doesn't matter that 'most' Afghans don't have tv or internet, I'm sure those that are in negotiation with the US will be aware of it and I doubt it will make life any easier for the negotiations when they see how their dead are treated.

During the Vietnam conflict there was a Yank who had units of indigenous people from Thailand and Laos fighting under his control. Before an attack on a communist village he would send the Thai/Lao people in to kidnap a few of the enemy; cut off their heads and drop them on the village from a small plane shortly before the action against the village. During the second World War I remember stories that Japanese soldiers thought they were pulled up to heaven by their ears so the troops cut off the ears of the dead apparently this freaked out the Japanese. I don't think peeing on a corps would scare anyone. Seems like a waste of time during war.

Chooka said, "much ado about nothing??? Would you say same the same thing if they were urinating on the body of one of your family members. It is totally sick and disgusting".

I agree with that. Of course one must keep in mind that war is totally sick and disgusting. That is the idea of it. The party that is the most sick and disgusting wins. At least I think they do, since King Aurthur and the knights of the round table went out of style. If you kill more people than the other guy you win. The ultimate sick and disgusting act is to take the life of another. I think. Isn't it? I know I would be more upset if you shot me or blew me up as opposed to peeing on me.

Most likely some buddies got killed or got their limbs blown off. I'm sure they had their reasons, but filming it was not too bright.

Most likely some buddies got killed or got their limbs blown off. I'm sure they had their reasons, but filming it was not too bright.

So what they did was ok but to film it was wrong.

Certainly showing your true colors. I doubt your comments would be so soft if this had happened to a US serviceman or an Israeli.

During the Vietnam conflict there was a Yank who had units of indigenous people from Thailand and Laos fighting under his control. Before an attack on a communist village he would send the Thai/Lao people in to kidnap a few of the enemy; cut off their heads and drop them on the village from a small plane shortly before the action against the village. During the second World War I remember stories that Japanese soldiers thought they were pulled up to heaven by their ears so the troops cut off the ears of the dead apparently this freaked out the Japanese. I don't think peeing on a corps would scare anyone. Seems like a waste of time during war.

These wackos that pretend that the US and UK didn't torture prisoners and such during WW 2 and that we were so honorable and wonderful back then really mystify me. War is a terrible thing and it always has been. The America/UK/Western democracy haters better face the facts that we are no better than we ever have been, but far more humane than our enemies and peeing on their dead bodies is the least of their problems. .

Edited by Ulysses G.
  • Like 1

Certainly showing your true colors. I doubt your comments would be so soft if this had happened to a US serviceman or an Israeli.

I would not be happy about it, but I would be MUCH more concerned about our soldiers having thier heads cut off when they were alive than anything that happened when they were already dead. Some folks will use any lame excuse to trash the US. wink.png

Edited by Ulysses G.

As usual, you are not being honest about what I said. I am not saying that torture during war is OK, I'm saying that it is nothing new and that peeing on dead bodies is not anywhere close to the same thing. The we-hate-America and it use to not do this stuff crowd are delusional. wacko.png

Edited by Ulysses G.

These wackos that pretend that the US and UK didn't torture prisoners and such during WW 2 and that we were so honorable and wonderful back then really mystify me. War is a terrible thing and it always has been. The America/UK/Western demacracy haters better face the facts that we are no better than we ever have been, but far more humane than our enemies and peeing on their dead bodies is the least of their problems. .

Your basically cheer leading torture & they are the wackos???

"War is a terrible thing" includes torture, so no cheerleading despite your false accusations.

Edited by Ulysses G.

oh really ?unsure.png

" News of the footage had yet to spread in Afghanistan - a country where a minority have access to electricity and the Internet is limited to a tiny urban elite - but Afghans who were told about what the tape appears to show were horrified.

"It may start with just video footage, but it will end with demonstrations around the country and maybe the world," said 44-year-old Qaisullah, who has a shop near the Kabul's Shah-e-dushamshera mosque."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/01/12/us-afghanistan-usa-urination-idUSTRE80A2D720120112

These wackos that pretend that the US and UK didn't torture prisoners and such during WW 2 and that we were so honorable and wonderful back then really mystify me. War is a terrible thing and it always has been. The America/UK/Western demacracy haters better face the facts that we are no better than we ever have been, but far more humane than our enemies and peeing on their dead bodies is the least of their problems. .

Your basically cheer leading torture & they are the wackos???

If it were as simple as peeing on dead bodies it might be different....But this is just more icing on the cake of shame.

There was far worse done & anyone who has looked knows it.

I cannot understand any American trying to justify/trivialize it in the least...

As for WW2 it was after the Nuremberg trials that most of the standards for treatment of prisoners was agreed on.

Not to mention all the war criminals that were prosecuted for their acts....Yet now you are basically saying that too was all right?

Or just when we do it??

Thankfully America does not condone it period. Hopefully we follow through on prosecuting all involved.

No not the Nuremberg trials.

First Geneva Convention for the Amelioration of the Condition of the Wounded and Sick in Armed Forces in the Field, 1864

The whole set is referred to as the "Geneva Conventions of 1949" or simply the "Geneva Convention".

• Like 1

What happened to forum rules about "hang em high" etc...

Innocent until proven guilty I say. Have we all forgotten the U.K. "Daily Mirror" fake photos of British troops in Iraq.

It cost Piers Morgan his job.

The video seems grainy and it could be a total set up. I am no expert.

The video is much clearer than all the ones that are supposed to show the problems in Syria. Is it just me but can no one hold a phone camera or video camera still for more than 1/2 a second when these regimes troops / police weigh into protestors ? All I see are cars buildings people on a street....flashing all over the place...this could all be a set up ? Never believe the Press. Any news item now that comes with a bit of bad news is reported via a link from reporters with grainy pictures and mechanical voices....Strange I never get that on even the worst Skype link - but the BBC report some meaningless business dirge from some boring correspondent in Tokyo and the link looks something from the 1950's..... its called dramatic effect and artistic license...

Also it has been a long tradition of warriors to desecrate the enemy....The English did it to William Wallace by hanging his head on London Gate...much to the annoyance of the Scots....some things never change - and by the way I condone none of the actions of the troops or the Taliban. My belief is people are people but do not go imposing your beliefs or ideas on any one, or invading other countries in the name of anything including religion or so called democracy.

The subjects are dead. Sure, it's not the brightest move, but all this fuss is sheer fakery and false indignation. Peeing on a corpse is wrong, we all know it. No one is defending the accused, but some of us are trying to understand that the horrors and harshness of the Afghanistan mission have a hand in this situation. There is also a double standard. When the Afghans butcher someone alive and film it for all to see, its downplayed as the poor chaps are defending their land from the invader. The thing is that many of these Taliban fighters are not even Afghani but are recruits from Yemen and Pakistan. why should I be overly concerned about the dis[position of dead Afghanis that toss acid on girls, that burn down schools that plant IEDS? I'm more concerned about the emotional damage that may have been exhibited by these soldiers. I'd be more concerned about the missing NCO and the officer supposed to be supervising.

• Like 2

I agree with Geriatrikid, this is an artificially generated storm in a teacup, aided and abetted unfortunately by our press who seem to have difficulty distinguishing between acts perpetrated on living human beings and those at best symbolic (though admittedly crass and stupid) like urinating on corpses. The excess offense as I perceive it is in marked juxtaposition to the films of people dancing on rooftops to celebrate 9/11. To put things into perspective, during the previous week there were 56 attacks carried out by Islamic extremists, like the Taliban, in which 281 people died. Some of these incidents were discussed on separate threads, but as ever none received anything like the attention this admittedly insensitive and juvenile act did.

• Like 1

The subjects are dead. Sure, it's not the brightest move, but all this fuss is sheer fakery and false indignation. Peeing on a corpse is wrong, we all know it. No one is defending the accused, but some of us are trying to understand that the horrors and harshness of the Afghanistan mission have a hand in this situation.

Again the first line of defense should not be justification due to those we deem the bad guys doing worse.

If so what does that make us?

It is good to see the Marines are taking it seriously...

The U.S. Marine Corps has said it will investigate. The NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) in Afghanistan described the acts depicted in the video as “disrespectful” and “inexplicable.”

“This behavior dishonors the sacrifices and core values of every service member representing the 50 nations of the coalition,” ISAF said in a statement, adding that a U.S. criminal investigation had been launched.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/01/12/video-of-marines-urinating-on-dead-insurgents-wont-harm-peace-talks-taliban/

As for the harshness of the Afghanistan mission...........It is equally if not more harsh for a country to be invaded & see their relatives many times killed when they were not even involved.

Many here have said well the soldiers probably had buddies who died.....

I imagine those who have had their homelands invaded & occupied feel the same.

At the end of the day.........For What???

What will be achieved?

NOTHING but dead on both sides.

USA down a financial cesspool

5 minutes after the US leaves it will be business as usual

• Like 1