Clashes erupt during pro-reform protest in Jordan

News_Editor

Clashes erupt during pro-reform protest in Jordan

2012-01-14 08:19:16 GMT+7 (ICT)

AMMAN (BNO NEWS) -- Clashes erupted on Friday after Jordanian government supporters attacked the vehicles of pro-reform activists following a pro-reform demonstration in downtown Amman, Ammon News reported.

Dozens of pro-reform protesters demonstrated following Friday midday prayers near the Al Husseini Mosque in the capital, chanting slogans against the government. They called for genuine reforms and demanded an end to corruption, alluding to the difficult economic conditions that citizens face.

The protest, dubbed "I Am a Citizen, I Am Combustible," came after two citizens set themselves on fire last week and later died of their injuries. A 54-year-old set himself on fire on January 4, a day after a 52-year-old was pronounced dead after setting himself on fire because of difficult economic conditions.

During Friday's protest, protesters blasted corrupt officials and what they described as "endemic corruption". They raised placards reading slogans such as "Bread, Freedom, Social Justice," and "A Warning from my anger and my hunger." Protesters also chanted "Son of Jordan set himself on fire for not being able to provide food for his children."

Activists and counter-protesters clashed briefly and exchanged verbal offenses before police and riot police forces dispersed the crowds. Government supporters also attacked the vehicles of pro-reform activists.

Since February 2011, Jordanians have been demanding the trial of corrupt officials and have stressed that they will continue protesting until they witness "real and tangible measures" to combat corruption. In October, Jordan's King Abdullah II issued a decree approving the formation of a new government headed by Prime Minister Awn Al-khasawneh. This was the country's third government in 2011 amid the pro-reform protests.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2012-01-14