Vippasana Alternative Around Chiang Mai ?

freedomnow

Have any of you studied Vipassana and then maybe studied a Vipassana alternative around Chiang Mai ?

I read a lot of negative stuff on Vipassana structure/mood/exp.

I know it's not meant to be entertainment,intheclub.gif

but there seems a more experienced vocal minority saying avoid it...

Edited by freedomnow

hi freedom, i don't have a direct answer to your question about alternatives in chiangmai, but some observations.

the term vipassana is used for many different kinds of meditation, by different teachers and schools whose understanding, methods, rules, and course offerings vary. sometimes i run across courses that describe something totally different from what i've studied and practiced. my opinion is that authentic vipassana courses should:

-involve no visualizations, mantras or other reliance on imagined objects of concentration

-first teach observation of natural breath as way to focus the mind

-provide an atmosphere conducive to disciplined practice

-be offered absolutely free of charge (if donations are accepted, they shouldn't be solicited aggressively)

these aren't just my personal preferences, but principles derived from the original history of vipassana introduced in the buddhist scriptures (in particular the sathipattana sutanta).

while you may read positive or negative reviews of particular approaches to vipassana, i'd encourage you to see for yourself, choosing a course that meets the above criteria.

and you are right that it is not entertainment. i've been in 10 day courses in which half the participants (usually the guys) drop out before the end. for some, the discipline is too much--not talking, eating only lightly, no smoking or drinking, etc. others find the practice itself too difficult. vipassana can be like holding up a mirror, and not everyone likes what he sees. but a properly taught course helps you to work towards the immense benefits and focus on the positive. good luck!

...... for some, the discipline is too much--not talking, eating only lightly, no smoking or drinking, etc. others find the practice itself too difficult.

Seems like I'm doing it already, bar the sitting meditation.jap.gif

A practice to increase sustained focus would be great, but I just got put off by veteran meditator reports and so wondered if there was a shorter native Thai meditation course around C.M.

Edited by freedomnow