Inhertiting A House

I am curious if i can sell the house if the wife dies or that it goes to the family. I know i cant own a house but just want to know if i can sell it in the event of her death. I hope it wont happen and im older but one never knows.

You will find all infos you need in the CCC, starting at section 1620. The different classes of heirs are explained in section 1629. And section 1635 is dealing with the surviving spouse. If your wife had children they will be in the same class of heirs like you. After your wife dies you go to your court and file for transfer of the house to your name. If you are a foreigner you have to sell it in 1 year . If there are other heirs in the same class like you then CCC section1635 regulates how big everybodies share is. In Thailand, even if you are entitled to inherit you have to claim it in court. You do not inherit your share automatically, like for example in Germany. If there is a will everything is much more easy.

Edited by hanuman2543

There are no childeren, so would that mean i get it automaticly ? Can i find that thai law somewhere online in English. I am accountant i know my way around taxes and laws so if i could find it im sure i could understand it.

I, was just wondering about her mother or her brothers and sisters claiming part of the house ect. As far as i knew when her dad died only the kids claimed anything and that was not much at all.

Thank you so much hanuman2543.

Google search for thailawonline.

Once on the site select civil code under the Thai Laws tab. Then select book 6 for details you seek.

It will be best if you have wife make out a will. My wife passed away last year and I went through this process and my lawyer said it was good she had left a will.

The lawyer said in the court room next to ours was a family fighting over who gets what because no will. Cases like that are a big problem according to her.

If you have any questions PM me and I will try to answer.