Mac Help!

camel_jockey

Am running an ibook with osx,version 10.2.8,640MBram,700MHz G3, and using Norton Systemworks(disk doctor) the following problems appear;

Major error in boot blocks

signature is incorrect 16,1,1

system name bad 16,1,2

event queue size bad 16,1,11

When I try to start from the SW cd, all I get is a screen filled with "systemworks" written all over it then nothin else happens, anyone out there that can give some advice? :o

I suggest you don't use Norton Utilities (system works) with Mac OSX. OSX uses a new hard disk format and Norton often flags it as disk errors when it's not. I don't know what version of Norton you are using but when you start up the computer from the CD it may be starting in OS 9. Unless you (or someone else) made the Norton CD OSX bootable ... it's probably starting up in OS9.

Instead of using Norton ... go to your applications folder and find the program "Disk Utility" (it may be in the "Utilities folder") and run Ceck Permissions and Repair Permissions. Sometimes when installing software upgrades, the updating process leaves bits and pieces from the old programs in your preferences folders which can cause problems. Whatever it flags for repair ... go ahead and let it fix it.

But better yet .... upgrade your system software to OSX 10.3.2!

Are you really having problems with your computer or are you just running the utility program for preventive maintenance? I asked this because OSX does the preventive maintenance (like defraging etc) regularly automatically. Your hard disk is also usually defraged and optimised (automatically) when you install new software.

Guest IT Manager

OMG an opportunity. What you need young man is Windows 2000 PRO.

Of course it won't work on your Mac, but a very small price in my opinion.

Where are you? :o

Roger, thanks for the advice, am not having any problems, just, like you said, a bit of preventive maintenance.Checked and repaired the permissions as you said.Systemworks version 2.0 for mac is what I have.Have you got Panther?Whats it like, worth the money?

ITM, never will I spend money on windows!I'm in Bahrain, sounds like you trying to sell me something! :o

Hi Camel Jockey

Yes I was reluctant to upgrade to Panther. I kept telling myself ... why upgrade when things work fine?

However I did upgrade to Panther on my PowerBook a few weeks ago and the upgrade was so painless and things seemed even more smooth after the upgrade .. that I also upgraded my iMac desktop at home and also my G4 desktop at work. Absolutely no problems and it's noticably better. So now I recommend Panther. It's got additional graphics goodies for your desktop etc. But the major attraction for me is that things just seem to run better and smoother. I think you should upgrade and then when you are on the net, do the software update (under the apple on the menu bar) for the latest version and improvements.

Have fun!

:o

PS: Yes please keep Windows away from me !!! :D