Taxes

goodguy

BKK to LHR, Jan 20, return Jan31, Total: THB 41,710.00 Adult x 1 27,200.00 THB Tax14,510.00 THB Total THB 41,710.00

AKL to LHR, Jan 20, return Jan 31, Total: NZD 3,225.14, Adult x 1 2,945.00NZ, Tax 280.14NZD, Total NZD 3,225.14

Adult x 1, 74,310 THB, Tax 7,067 THB, Total: 81,448 THB

How on earth are the taxes on a flight from NZ to London compared to Bangkok to London being 7,443 THB cheaper? Is it because it doesn't stop in Doha? How can anyone find out the TAX amount for any particular part of the TAX bill being quoted by Airlines being justified?

Taxes are set by conventions of the governments. I would think AKL-LHR is a Commonwealth rate, vs BKK-LHR is not. Usually the fares are distance, promotion, seat and class dependent. Sometimes promotions will trump all.

Taxes are for using the facility, security charges etc etc etc and they include the fuel surcharge these days. LHR is one of the most expensive airports in the world so it should be same same I totally get your point. Just thinking Etihad may be charging a lower fuel surcharge to be competitive on the kangaroo route ? as there are so many options from NZ to UK, meaning you see TAX but it is fuel surcharge they are tinkering with.

Air passenger duty from london for economy is -

Band A (2,000 miles) – £13

Band B (4,000) – £65

Band C (6,000) – £81

Band D (others) – £92

any upgraded seating incurs a doubleing of the tax, all charges above these amounts are return airport tax, and fuel surcharge, airport charges etc. some airlines charge fuel surcharges as a tax charge, some build it into the ticket costs.

taxes shown are from April

Edited by steve187

Posted Today, 16:32

Air passenger duty from london for economy is -

Band A (2,000 miles) – £13

Band B (4,000) – £65

Band C (6,000) – £81

Band D (others) – £92

any upgraded seating incurs a doubleing of the tax, all charges above these amounts are return airport tax, and fuel surcharge, airport charges etc. some airlines charge fuel surcharges as a tax charge, some build it into the ticket costs.

taxes shown are from April......

Thanks for that Will, The Band system of penalty rates seems to me to be way off the mark. In my opinion, there should be a flat rate regardless of distance desired to be traveled. Are these rates European rates, or just British?