Tourist Arrivals In Thailand Back To Normal

webfact

Tourism bounces back

BANGKOK, 16 January 2012 (NNT) - The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) has announced that the number of c for the Kingdom has returned to normal, following a slight decline at the end of the year due to the flooding.

As the flood started to recede in early December, Thailand’s tourism sector has once again shown its resilience. With the co-operation of the public and private sectors, the TAT has launched the “Beautiful Thailand” campaign, which has regained the confidence of international travellers and resulted in a rapid growth in the number of tourist arrivals. By the end of 2011, Thailand has welcomed a total of over 19 million international visitors, which represents an annual growth of 20% compared to 2010.

Deputy Governor for International Marketing (Asia and the South Pacific) Mr Sansern Ngaorungsi said the tourism sector has proven its ability to bounce back when faced with similar situations in the past. This is due to the uniqueness and quality of our tourism products and the strength of the Thailand brand, which has strong affinity with travellers all over the world.

Thailand has just started off 2012 strongly, with over 300,000 international visitor arriving during the first week of January. This is very close to that of the same period last year, demonstrating that Thailand’s tourism sector has once again rebounded. For 2012, the TAT is targeting more than 19.5 million international arrivals, a 26% increase over last year’s target. Tourism revenues for 2012 are expected to reach 24 billion USD (766 billion Baht), an increase of 28% over last year's.

Nearly 30% of visitors to Thailand are from within the ASEAN region. ASEAN visitor arrivals to Thailand during January-November 2011 totalled 4.9 million, up 22% over that of the same period of 2010. The top five ASEAN countries for arrivals include, Malaysia with over 2 million arrivals (up 16%), followed by Lao PDR with 821,000 arrivals (up 26%), Singapore with 592,000 arrivals (up 14%), Vietnam with 475,000 arrivals (up 37%), and Indonesia with 337,000 arrivals (up 33%). Over 84% of ASEAN tourists are repeat visitors, and 81% are Free Independent Travelers (FITs). In 2010, around 3.3 million Thais visited other ASEAN countries, and over 1.7 million Thais traveled to destinations in ASEAN during the first half of 2011.

The TAT’s strategy for 2012 will focus on Thailand’s brand image, digital marketing, sustainable tourism and effective crisis communications. For Brand Image, the TAT will continue to reinforce the essence of the Thailand brand, “Amazing Thailand Always Amazes You”, with a focus on authenticity, value for money, and hospitality.

Digital marketing will play an increasingly important role in the tourism sector. The TAT has been using digital marketing to promote Thai tourism for many years, and has been recognized as a leader in online tourism. It will continue to tap into a wider pool of travelers through social networks, online games, and mobile applications.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-01-16 footer_n.gif

With all the warnings from countries around the world in relation to the floods, the outbreak of Malaria, Dengy Fever, Bomb and Terrorist threats etc. I think the Deputy Governor of TAT, Mr Sansern Ngaorungsi has lost the plot. Similar to the Terrorism warning made earlier.

The bulk of those tourists are Indians, Chinese, ASEAN and Russian.

Numbers of tourists coming from western countries has nearly been cut by half.

I've been looking for these statistics. Would you be kind enough to tell me where I could find the details? I'm particularly interested in tourist numbers from Russia bot now and historically.

Thanks.

Right! And if you believe this I have some ocean front property in Khon Kaen for you....CHEAP!

These TAT figures again show us a wrong total. I agree with the numbers coming through immigration, 19 million, BUT tourism NO WAY...............visa runs..........daily workers.............transits/passing through.............. we normally call concocted figures.

maybe one day they will section off only Holiday people, and give us those figures. I also want to know if flight personnel -crew are included. ???? They are losing out to neighbouring countries but saving face again, what will they do when MYANMAR opens it's gates ?????? with 1000-unspoiled (Phukets) waiting to be tapped. Clean up your act TAT and the country for the better. If Myanmar gets it's act together fairly quick and offers ex pats good terms there-I for one will seriously consider moving. TAT your twisted laws and the inconvenience for your long term ex pats, on border runs, and visa's, couldn't your body put pressure on the goverment to encourage more ex pats and tourist with more favourable immigration laws.

• Like 1

Thailand has just started off 2012 strongly, with over 300,000 international visitor arriving during the first week of January. This is very close to that of the same period last year, demonstrating that Thailand’s tourism sector has once again rebounded

300K visitors in one week. If that is maintained throughout the year, that would amount to 15.6 million. Yet the projected figure for 2012 is 19.5m.

I may be wrong, but I would have thought that the 1st week of January, mid high season would be one of the busiest weeks of the year, not the other way round.

Right! And if you believe this I have some ocean front property in Khon Kaen for you....CHEAP!

These TAT figures again show us a wrong total. I agree with the numbers coming through immigration, 19 million, BUT tourism NO WAY...............visa runs..........daily workers.............transits/passing through.............. we normally call concocted figures.

maybe one day they will section off only Holiday people, and give us those figures. I also want to know if flight personnel -crew are included. ???? They are losing out to neighbouring countries but saving face again, what will they do when MYANMAR opens it's gates ?????? with 1000-unspoiled (Phukets) waiting to be tapped. Clean up your act TAT and the country for the better. If Myanmar gets it's act together fairly quick and offers ex pats good terms there-I for one will seriously consider moving. TAT your twisted laws and the inconvenience for your long term ex pats, on border runs, and visa's, couldn't your body put pressure on the goverment to encourage more ex pats and tourist with more favourable immigration laws.

You make several very valid points. With regard to the numbers, I believe T.A.T. counts every warm body that crosses a border into Thailand plus all arrivals at airports in the Kingdom, regardless of their actual place of residence. Every farang who resides in Thailand and has to do a border run, is counted as a tourist upon entering.

As to Myanmar/Burma, the Thai tourism authorities must be privately wetting their pants at the potential that will, more likely sooner than later, be opened up in that country. A lot has changed in Burma over the last few years, not the least being the release and acceptance of ASSK, The Lady and the visits by high profile western leaders who realise the business opportunities that exist in this largely unspoiled and as yet not overly modernized land. Sanctions will slowly be lifted as things, hopefully, progress towards a more western friendly Myanmar.

The islands of Mergui and coastline from Victoria point (Ranong) northwards to Moulmein offer huge tourist potential, which hasn't gone unnoticed by wealthy Thai & other investors.

Basic message : Wake up Phuket and other high profile Thai destinations because if you don't, very soon your share of the pie is going to decrease in a big way.

Back packers always open up a country for tourism and I am sure there are forum members familiar with Rangoon (Yangon) who can attest to the fact that there are more and more western tourists trying Burma for a change.

The bulk of those tourists are Indians, Chinese, ASEAN and Russian.

Numbers of tourists coming from western countries has nearly been cut by half.

I've been looking for these statistics. Would you be kind enough to tell me where I could find the details? I'm particularly interested in tourist numbers from Russia bot now and historically.

Thanks.

the stats get published on the department of tourism's website:

http://www.tourism.g...tic/tourism.php

(and the other guys here crying foul should have a look at the stats too)

Edited by manarak

Funny

Thai wife's friends who work in Holiday resorts around the islands say it is so bad, they sit around the tv all day with no farlang

People on the streets selling goods say where are all the farlang

Yet the government say every thing back to normal

Your all wrong !! TAT said it's all back to normal ... they said there was ' a slight ' dip in numbers due to the floods but now everyone has returned and the numbers are the same as in good times ...

So then .. there's nothing to worry about !! TAT say everything is ok !!

Thank god we have the TAT with all the good news ...

Now I'm just about watch the flying pigs over bangkok ... suppose to be a good show tonight !!!

clap2.gif

Edited by steven100

A few years back I was involved in a project with the Philippine Dept of Tourism, I had access to some information and learnt very quickly the numbers were bogus, that country based their arrivals on the passengers residence NOT passport type. The Philippines has over 168K maids in Hong Kong and those maids on annual leave would count as HK Tourist arrival.

My point is if warm bodies are counted, do they simply toss in the Thai foreign workers who are based in Egypt as Egyptian arrival?

Funny

Thai wife's friends who work in Holiday resorts around the islands say it is so bad, they sit around the tv all day with no farlang

People on the streets selling goods say where are all the farlang

Yet the government say every thing back to normal

Because except for the russians, the number of other farangs were cut by half.

Tourism bounces back crazy.gif

BANGKOK, 16 January 2012 (NNT) - The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) has announced that the number of c for the Kingdom has returned to normal, following a slight decline at the end of the year due to the flooding.wacko.png

If this is true why is PM Yingluck asking the Americans to drop the Credible Terrorist alert, stating that it is damaging Thailand's image.blink.png

Edited by OZEMADE

THAILAND. Airports of Thailand (AoT) has reported a +13.4% rise in international passengers to 41,605,432 for 2011, despite a near -5% decline in the last quarter of the year.

The final quarter (October-December 2011) saw 9,721,665 international passengers passing through Thailand’s airports – a -4.94% dip from the corresponding period in 2010. The months of November and December saw decreases of -16.87% and -3.86% respectively.

Source : http://www.moodierep...=6&doc_id=29678

post-132209-0-01104700-1326769848_thumb.

Edited by nicky1982