Skybox, Dreambox Or Anything That Is Cheaper Than Truevision

rjhklein

Hi All,

Always great to read pieces on Thaivisa, either it is politics or practical stuff. Thank you Thaivisa for letting us comment on all sorts of issues.

I have a few questions regarding alternative for HDTV in Bangkok.

Currently I have the new HD box from Truevision ( see here for more details: http://www.truevisio..._hd_box_en.html)

As you know HD TV can be quite addictive and after my 4 months of free HD channels (only 3 with satellite) I probably cannot resist to stay with HD channels.

On the other hand, I am Dutch and like to get the best for the lowest price ( "cheap" in other words).

A friend of mine told me I could go for something that is call a Dreambox ( this would similar to a platinum subscription with Truevision but than no HD) or I could go for the new thing that is called Skybox or Outbox (this is the truevision platinum subscription with HD)

(The cost price would be around 350 thb per month and as start up cost for around 6 to 7 k thb one time)

So here are the questions:

1. Could you please confirm the pricing for these HD alternatives?

2. How many channels would I be able to get in HD? ( I am am not sure what my options are at the moment if I would stay with Truevisions)

3. What channels would be broadcasting HD?

4. I heard I need to have my decoder software cracked and there fore would need to have a permanent internet connection if I would you this Outbox or SKybox, is this true and if so, could I use my wireless network connection in my house?

5. Could you please keep the post organized by following the question number in your answer, perhaps it would be easier for other members to read and get some tips from it as well.

Thanks in advance,

Rumble

OK. The Dreambox and Skybox (and the Outbox too I asume) are digital satellite receivers with network connections, these tend to run a Linux variant and can do all sorts of clever stuff.

What I suspect you are talking about is an online card-share system (would explain the permanent internet connection and 'cracked' decoder software), a single card somewhere is used by multiple receivers. These are of course totally illegal as you are stealing the signal from True.

As we don't permit discussion of illegal activities I'm going to close this thread pending clarification from our OP as to exactly what he's talking about, if it turns out to be legal please PM me or any online Mod with details and we can re-open the thread.