Herons In Chiang Mai

Tywais

This is mainly to test my new Panasonic GH2 camera and telephoto lens. The lens is a 100-300mm Lumix (200-600mm 35mm equivalent). It's set at its long end, 600mm, and combined with the Extra Teleconverter 1:1 crop feature built into the camera comes out to 1560mm effective. This is fully optical and not digital zoom. If I turned on the digital zoom of 4x it would be equivalent of 6240mm. Was hard enough to handhold it with the 1560mm. Note to self, get a proper tripod. wink.png

Rice field behind my house, distance about 100-150 Meters. There are both the brown ones you see here and white ones. A helicopter flew over and there were between 30-40 of them taking off, was surprised there were so many considering this is just on the outskirts of Chiang Mai town. Believe they are Javan Pond Herons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQDpZp5yWoA

I've got the same camera with the 14-140 lens. Superb video as well as stills. One small issue, it has a 2.5 mm jack plug, not standard, but you can plug in a remote shutter release or a microphone. Must look at the 100-300 lens !

The 14-140 lens is silent in focussing,is the 100-300 equally quiet? important when videoing.

As you say, get a decent ( heavy!!) tripod with a fluid head. If you didn't know already, Photobug near Chang Puak gate has a reasonable selection.

those be Chinese Pond Herons you got there Tywais, not Javan.. thumbsup.gif

Thanks for that Goshawk! We see these guys watching our Tilapia, but luckily the pond slope is too steep for effective hunting.

And Tywais.... Impressive video for being hand held with the effective length of lens. The image stabilization must be doing its thing. Have you tried turning it off to see the difference?

I've got the same camera with the 14-140 lens. Superb video as well as stills. One small issue, it has a 2.5 mm jack plug, not standard, but you can plug in a remote shutter release or a microphone. Must look at the 100-300 lens !

I have a Vello intervalometer I ordered with the camera because I would like to try time lapse photography. It's a wireless remote/timer and came with adapters for Canon and Panasonic.

The 14-140 lens is silent in focussing,is the 100-300 equally quiet? important when videoing.

As you say, get a decent ( heavy!!) tripod with a fluid head. If you didn't know already, Photobug near Chang Puak gate has a reasonable selection.

If you turn the volume up you can hear birds near me and also me taking a deep breath to try and steady myself. The stereo pickup on the camera is excellent. There is no focus motor sound that I can notice. For tripods, any recommended brands. Obviously will like something light weight. Can you get a fluid head in the 5-8k Baht range? What about a monopod?

And Tywais.... Impressive video for being hand held with the effective length of lens. The image stabilization must be doing its thing. Have you tried turning it off to see the difference?

Haven't tried disabling the OIS yet but thought about it after the fact. Still playing/learning the system.

It's the location. Javan Pond Herons are limited to the central plains in Thailand. neus.gif

Searching some more on the Internet has proven a tad confusing as some sites show a Javan that looks nearly identical and others where the Chinese look just like it. Did find the info you pointed out about central plains though.

Picasaweb

The Internet Bird Collection

pbase They say this is a Javan Pond heron and looks nearly identical to the ones I show?

pbase While in this one it's a significant difference in color.

Will change my youtube info to reflect the Chinese Pond heron as you guys know more than I about them.

If you turn the volume up you can hear birds near me and also me taking a deep breath to try and steady myself. The stereo pickup on the camera is excellent. There is no focus motor sound that I can notice. For tripods, any recommended brands. Obviously will like something light weight. Can you get a fluid head in the 5-8k Baht range? What about a monopod?

Monopods won't work for such a long focus lens, you will still get irritating jerkiness. They are OK at shorter focal lengths.

I just bought a Velbon DV 600 Tripod from Photobug for 3500 Baht. It's not the most stable but has a reasonable fluid head. It's the cheapest that might work. I bought it because it was light ( just over 2 Kg), a compromise between great stability and weight. I've got heavier tripods for my big video camera but they are heavy. The Velbon will support the GH2 OK, but if you can, get a slightly heavier ( and therefore more expensive!) one. But take your camera and lens and try them out ( you knew that already didn't you?)

Edited by msg362

But take your camera and lens and try them out ( you knew that already didn't you?)

biggrin.png (embarrassed to say I didn't think about that)

Thanks for the photobug info, will check them out.

Can you let me know where you ordered the intervalometer from, I've looked on amazon UK and B+H- the big New York supplier and can't find it

Thanks

But take your camera and lens and try them out ( you knew that already didn't you?)

biggrin.png (embarrassed to say I didn't think about that)

Thanks for the photobug info, will check them out.

Can you let me know where you ordered the intervalometer from, I've looked on amazon UK and B+H- the big New York supplier and can't find it

Thanks

I got my entire kit of lenses/camera/filters/intervalometer from B&H in one order. Here is the B&H page

Here is the one I got > http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/831505-REG/Vello_Wireless_ShutterBoss_Timer_Remote.html

Regarding the 100-300mm lens, the below is a good example of how it performs and demonstrates the lens with and without the ETC (Extra Tele Converter 1:1 crop 2.6x) enabled. NOTE: video not made by me, just an example. wink.png

Regarding the 100-300mm lens, the below is a good example of how it performs and demonstrates the lens with and without the ETC (Extra Tele Converter 1:1 crop 2.6x) enabled. NOTE: video not made by me, just an example. wink.png

Oh dear, I think I may have to buy one!!!!!!!!!!!. I used to have a Nikon + 500 mmF4 + 1.6 converter. Weighed in at around 5-7 Kg if I remember, complete with aluminium box. The existing Panasonic 140 mm ( that is 280mm ) plus EX TC gives me roughly the same but I can lift it! The 100-300 mm looks wonderful .(Just get a good tripod and a good fluid head.)

It's the location. Javan Pond Herons are limited to the central plains in Thailand. neus.gif

Searching some more on the Internet has proven a tad confusing as some sites show a Javan that looks nearly identical and others where the Chinese look just like it. Did find the info you pointed out about central plains though.

Picasaweb

The Internet Bird Collection

pbase They say this is a Javan Pond heron and looks nearly identical to the ones I show?

pbase While in this one it's a significant difference in color.

Will change my youtube info to reflect the Chinese Pond heron as you guys know more than I about them.

The explanation is as follows.

Javan Pond Herons and Chinese Pond Herons are closely related but separate species.

They have 2 plumages:-

A breeding plumage from approx. March to September

A non-breeding plumage from October to February

In the non-breeding plumage, as in the video, the two species cannot be distinguished by appearance only. However, come March, they are easily told apart as the plumages are quite different.

Also, importantly, the Javan Pond Heron is a non-migratory population in Thailand residing and breeding in the Central Plains only. The Chinese Pond Heron is a migratory bird, spreading out widely in S E Asia during the winter and returning to China and Russia (?) to breed in the summer.

The key time for you photographers to capture these birds would be March. They would be resplendent in fresh breeding plumage but not yet returned to China.

Edited by Briggsy

The key time for you photographers to capture these birds would be March. They would be resplendent in fresh breeding plumage but not yet returned to China.

Great information, thanks Briggsy. March in Chiang Mai? May not be able to find them through the smoke/smog. biggrin.png