Why Do So Many Guys From Hawaii Come To Thailand?

Johnniey

Minor says he!!! cheesy.gif Surely you jest!!!

Not at all. I never swim in the sea anywhere. It has nothing to do with the cleanliness, I just dont like salt water. Rivers are OK.

I've been to Hawaii and I thought it was a boring expensive dump full of condos. Here is better because it's cheaper and more entertaining, but it's also a dump full of condos. I can easily see why many people who like Hawaii also like it here, especially if they find Hawaii a bit dull.

Stupid post. Absolute nonsense. When you claim that you've been to "Hawaii", apparently you (may have) actually been to Oahu or the Kaanapali side of Maui...and surely not Hawaii as a whole. Just to put your ignorance into perspective, your silly commentary is on par with the clown that spends his days and nights on soi 6, Pattaya, but portrays himsell as an expert on Thailand to the folks back home. If you don't know what you're talking about, and you don't, leave this topic to those that do.

There has been a few good examples given on why people from the islands go to Thailand. The number one reason is a tie: Cheaper living and women. I think this is the same reason the majority of men go to Thailand. Believe me, we are not leaving Hawaii for Thailand's weather. Rul that out.

Another reason is, as one poster pointed out, in Hawaii we have to fly 5 hrs just to get to LA. <deleted> does LA have to offer? Half of LA comes here anyway...sadly, some stay. Might as well go yard, and go somwhere exotic. Japan is out. We have so many Japanese people here that we don't have to go to Japan, Japan comes to us. Cambodia and Laos lack the comforts most people here are used to. I hope more people from Hawaii check out these places as well as VN.

One poster mentioned that the majority of people from Hawaii, that travel to Thailand, are themselves from elsewhere. We got sick of Mainland America and moved to Hawaii. For many like myself, going back to that zoo is not an option. There are thousands of Thai people living in these islands and for the most part, represent Thailand in very good fashion. Everyone has met a cute Thai girl or a nice Thai male while eating aloy Thai food at any of the many Thai restaurants here. Some Laab chased with Singha over tales of Thailand and.... flights get booked. That's how I made my first trip 20 years ago. I love Hawaii, it is perhaps the most beautiful place on earth, but 30 years here and time to move on. My (Thai) wife has mixed emotions, but we will be moving to Thailand as soon as our properties sell.

Oh...to the poster that said too many people end up missing on Kauai's interior. Say what? Hippies crawl up to kalalau and get lost on purpose. There are tribes of such people that just do not want to be found. I am very tight with Kauai's locals and other than the occasional purging of undesireables from our beaches, Secrets in particular, the island is beyond safe. I think we average about 1 homicide per year. Please note: I am not coloring this place as paradise. Aloha is a thing of the past here. You do need to be extremely respectful to the locals. Yes, they are looking for trouble. Look the other way and you will be fine. Seldom does anyone get "cracks" that don't deserve it. I know this first hand. ;)

They can't get to those hot Asian women in Hawaii? licklips.gif

I lived on the big island for three winters...hard to get women there, super expensive and like mentioned, very hostile locals. They basically killed there own tourist industry. People can go to Mexico for a week and have the same amenities as they would in Hawaii in only a day... It is beautiful and clean though. Many folks there were working three jobs just to survive

They can't get to those hot Asian women in Hawaii? licklips.gif

Because they aren't Asian.

Go there and you will see countless Filipinas, Thai ladies, and Japanese. Many people consider these people to be from Asia. Yes there are the Pacific Islanders there also. 400lbs on up mostly

Possibly because here (especially seaside places here) and Hawaii are really quite similar, only it's mostly cheaper here.

Oh YES!!!! The piled up trash here and floating in the water much emulates the pristine beaches in Hawaii..

A minor difference. The cars drive on the other side of the road also, if you want to split hairs.

oooooooh why, oooooooh why, do these innocent people come all the way to Thailand so ignorantly to find all this rubbish?

Why really do they leave their beautiful and perfect countries in the first place?

And oooooooh why do they not go back immediately they see the 'deferences' but keep hanging on... whining all the time... polluting this place more!

And another minor difference. They speak a different language too!!!

Who really are the clowns?

cheesy.gif

...Yes there are the Pacific Islanders there also. 400lbs on up mostly

...hard to get women there, super expensive and like mentioned, very hostile locals.

...People can go to Mexico for a week and have the same amenities as they would in Hawaii in only a day... It is beautiful and clean though. Many folks there were working three jobs just to survive

cheesy.gifpassifier.gif

Edited by ravip

...hard to get women there, super expensive and like mentioned, very hostile locals.

...People can go to Mexico for a week and have the same amenities as they would in Hawaii in only a day... It is beautiful and clean though. Many folks there were working three jobs just to survive.

And the best for far...

...You do need to be extremely respectful to the locals. Yes, they are looking for trouble - Ideal place for the whiners!

This is the perfect place to migrate!

cheesy.gif

Stupid post. Absolute nonsense. When you claim that you've been to "Hawaii", apparently you (may have) actually been to Oahu or the Kaanapali side of Maui...and surely not Hawaii as a whole. Just to put your ignorance into perspective, your silly commentary is on par with the clown that spends his days and nights on soi 6, Pattaya, but portrays himsell as an expert on Thailand to the folks back home. If you don't know what you're talking about, and you don't, leave this topic to those that do.

You found something nice in Hawaii, I think it's a boring dump. Live with it.

And I haven't set foot in Soi 6 in over 25 years. I'll live with that. (Happily.)

Oh YES!!!! The piled up trash here and floating in the water much emulates the pristine beaches in Hawaii..

A minor difference. The cars drive on the other side of the road also, if you want to split hairs.

oooooooh why, oooooooh why, do these innocent people come all the way to Thailand so ignorantly to find all this rubbish?

Why really do they leave their beautiful and perfect countries in the first place?

And oooooooh why do they not go back immediately they see the 'deferences' but keep hanging on... whining all the time... polluting this place more!

And another minor difference. They speak a different language too!!!

Who really are the clowns?

cheesy.gif

...People can go to Mexico for a week and have the same amenities as they would in Hawaii in only a day... It is beautiful and clean though. Many folks there were working three jobs just to survive

cheesy.gifpassifier.gif

In short, never came here intending to stay for ANY length of time which turned into 10 looooooong years but personal obligations and responsibilities changed that and leaving as soon as is possible hopefully later this year, good enough for you?? If it bothers you that much we'd gladly accept a donation to help us move along sooner...

Sometimes working 3 jobs to live somewhere nice is better then one or none in a place that hurts your eyes every time you open them or burns your throat every time you take a breath.. But you have at it, unlike you I won't criticize your choice to stay....

Edited by WarpSpeed

The average guy can more easily afford a girl in Thailand over the very expensive girls in the Korean Bars of Hawaii. Asia is relatively close compared to Europe and guys in Hawaii often prefer Asian women to begin with. Not everyone can pull off the Hawaiian beach boy act and attract the multitudes of Japanese tourists looking for a little local flavor on their trip. There are perhaps those who have met guys who already have Thai wives living in Hawaii and think that might appeal to them as well.

Hawaii is indeed a very expensive place to live and Haoles are not always welcome with open arms. The whole Local versus Haole thing is too involved to deal with here, however. Interestingly I have met many local asian guys with Thai wives so it is not entirely a white/brown thing.

I found Hawaii a nice place to grow up and spent far too much time surfing and sailing but in the end it was too small to stay there for the rest of my life.

Why Do So Many Guys From Hawaii Come To Thailand?

Because they cannot afford to spent in Hawaii, Thailand is much cheaper to expense!

I went to hawaii with a friend in order to relax and see what it had to offer for vegetarians/raw foodists, particularly coconuts. I was somewhat disappointed to see how expensive everything was in Oahu. I compared Waikiki beach with Manhattan with a beach and year-round warm weather. Louis Batton and Coach shops all over, expensive to stay on the beach or near the beach. I had gold membership at Hilton with some points racked up, so I managed to squeeze a free week from the one on the beach that normally was $300+/night bare bones (no breakfast, internet etc). After grilling craigslist and asking around, we stayed about 2 more weeks in a motel style room about two blocks from beach for $65/night or so with free parking. Traveled all around the island and saw that even local housing started at $300,000-400,000 for the basic housing far from the beach. Proximity to the beach . They offer special programs to people of hawaiian descent. It is a classic and most recent example how collectively the people agreed to become westerized, and slowly killed their paradise to put up parking lot. I was expecting to be drowned in coconuts, only to find out that the gov't shaves down coconut trees on state property for fear of being sued if one falls on someones head. I paid between $4-7 for 1 coconut.

Decided to move to Big Island after more research of cheaper living. They do have some off-grid places like in Puna district, but once you want electricity, it seems to be just as costly or more costly than living near a town. They do have some work share programs if you want to go that route. Seemed like a lot of people (1 out of 2, or 1/3) were on some kind of gov't assistance (food stamps, unemployment, etc). But if you don't already have a chunk of money, have roommate, gov't assistance, etc, I don't see how you'll make it over time with any type of western wants. Now when you remove the wants, then you run in to people who do "split living" 6 months on mainland and 6 months in hawaii. The 6 months in hawaii one guy bought a minivan and lived out of that. When there is a will, there is a way.

One nice thing about hawaii besides the warm weather is that they allow hitchhiking, and most people have aloha spirit in that regard. I gave a lot of people rides, and got many too.

Getting back more to the Thai relationship, there were several Thai restaurants on the Big Island, particularly in Hilo. All the women I met were friendly, beautiful, and their husbands (all USA citizens of different backgrounds) appeared satisfied with their choices. I had thai gf and had a lot of fun with her, but eventually we broke up and i met a guy who had been to Thailand for years and was getting a multi ED. He started telling me all about Thailand. I made up my mind that I should go to the source and checked the next day to see if he could help me get ED visa, which he did. Left two weeks later; all the thai ladies there wished me luck in finding girlfriend and I took off.

A plane ticket (from the east coast at least) to hawaii is about the same price as international flight to thailand with a wholesaler discounter travel agent. ($1000-1400 round trip, $750-900 one way). I was considering going to Mexico instead of LoS also, but put all my eggs in Thailand at the time. I only wish I had come to Thailand earlier, but things happen for a reason.

BTW, there were also a few Filipino ladies in Hilo.