Population Of Chiang Rai

pomchop

After reading several google entries it seems they more or less agree that the population numbers as of 2010 are approx as follows:

Chiang Rai City..................69,000

Chiang Rai District............200,000

Chiang Rai Province.........1, 200,000

I assume the CR city of 69,000 is within the city limits but not sure exactly what a district would be?

Also....what would be the best guess of CR residents as to what the farang population would be....ones that spend say six months or more per year here in the rai?

It sure seems to me to have grown a LOT in the past ten years or so but i really have no idea how many a "lot" might be.

Any opinions?

Seems high..... unsure.png

My wife told me yesterday, around 6000 farang, but that's counting all foreigners, and just those who live here.

Didn't ask her where she got that info from though. smile.png

interesting guesstimate...did your wife indicate if she is talking CR city or district or province....i don' think there are 6000 in city as that would be almost ten percent of CR town.....but....could well be that many in the district?....it sure does seem to me that i see a lot more farangs wandering around in the mall and even in big C ...maybe they were here before but just more visible now?

Joel Barlow...if you read this what is your best guesstimate??

I agree it sounds high, however my wife says it's the city proper, not the district.

I am in no way an expert, but my wife also says that there are a high concentration of Chinese and other Asians in Chiang rai, so those obviously also contribute to the high number. :D

A lot of visiting tourists, but I would be surprised if there were more than 150 "residents".

i think more than 150 especially in all CR district....i think Ricos attracts about 70 or so farangs for his xmas meal?....i have seen 25 or more on various regular nights at ricos and then see a bunch more on jed yod road...of course on jed yod bit hard to separate the residents from the tourists........i semi base my guess on how many farangs (caucasian types) i see at big C, where i don' think you get many tourist farangs, or the mall....i would say that on average i might see about 8 farangs on a one hour visit to big C.....if you assume a ten hour day then say maybe 80 or so farangs a day might shop at big C and if you assume they go once a week etc that would indicate maybe 560 a week to big C....then add in some that don't shop at big C but maybe the mall etc....anyway..who knows but my guess is that the non asian farang population might be 1000 in CR district...maybe 400 in CR city and maybe 2000 spread over the entire province....certainly my estimates are only guesstimates at best....always interested to hear other guesstimates...

Edited by pomchop

I agree with Pomchop that there are about 2,000 western foreigners that are not tourists here at any given time in all of the Chiang Rai area.

Some are regulars out and about, but also many that rarely are seen around town, but are here non the less.

Edited by KimoMax

A lot of visiting tourists, but I would be surprised if there were more than 150 "residents".

i think more than 150 especially in all CR district....i think Ricos attracts about 70 or so farangs for his xmas meal?....i have seen 25 or more on various regular nights at ricos and then see a bunch more on jed yod road...of course on jed yod bit hard to separate the residents from the tourists........i semi base my guess on how many farangs (caucasian types) i see at big C, where i don' think you get many tourist farangs, or the mall....i would say that on average i might see about 8 farangs on a one hour visit to big C.....if you assume a ten hour day then say maybe 80 or so farangs a day might shop at big C and if you assume they go once a week etc that would indicate maybe 560 a week to big C....then add in some that don't shop at big C but maybe the mall etc....anyway..who knows but my guess is that the non asian farang population might be 1000 in CR district...maybe 400 in CR city and maybe 2000 spread over the entire province....certainly my estimates are only guesstimates at best....always interested to hear other guesstimates...

I think you have nailed it, but just so we can be sure, could you actually go there and count them for us?

I think you have nailed it, but just so we can be sure, could you actually go there and count them for us?

i would much rather count the pretty thai girls but i always seem to get distracted and lose count....

• 2 weeks later...

What about us part time residents, who have properties, stay on our vacations but can't afford to retire just yet ? Reckon there must be quite a few of us waiting patiently for our retirement cheques or golden handshakes ? coffee1.gif

Count me in from the 26th, for 5 weeks anyway be easy to spot pale skinned and sweating profusely. hit-the-fan.gif

• 2 months later...