By Car To Cambodia Or Laos

Levent

Is it possible as a farang to drive with a Thai-registered car into Laos or Cambodia? I would like to explore those countries, and I very much would like to have my own set of wheels to be independent. Is it no problem or would I get difficulties at the border?

And... is it safe?

Thanks for any tips.

Is it possible as a farang to drive with a Thai-registered car into Laos or Cambodia? I would like to explore those countries, and I very much would like to have my own set of wheels to be independent. Is it no problem or would I get difficulties at the border?

And... is it safe?

Thanks for any tips.

My one and only experience of taking a car (TG's car, me driving) into Laos, via Nong Khai, was a nightmare. It was about 3 years ago, no problem on the Thai side, the Laos side was 15, yes 15, different departments, over 3 hours, and a total of about 3000bt in 'fees'.

Believe you must have full title to car but other than the problems with border and insurance these are two of the least developed countries in the world (PC language) and a lone foreigner with his own wheels might be quite a temptation. I would leave any such travel to a group excursion myself. But admit I have survived too many close calls to take needless risks now so I may be a bit prejudiced.

Edited by lopburi3

The best way to do it would be to use local transport (buses, songthow) and then just hire a motorbike if you want to take small side trips into the villages and out of the way places. With Cambodia roads are pretty much non existant and for Laos the same except for the route from Vientianne to Luang Prabang.

And... is it safe?

Thanks for any tips.

Hello there,

The answer to your question is yes, 100% you can take your own or rented/borrowed Vehicle to Cambodia, If the vehicle is borrowed you need a letter from the owner stating you have permission to take outside the country and a photo copy of the ID of this person. Take all registration papers for the car with you of course and fill out a tempory export at the land border, there is no charge, When you leave thailand you will need to purchase insurance on the cambodia side which is small fee, Like $20 but I have not done as yet, I can say this is 100% as I am going to be doing it myself soon, I was doing my research on it. I will personall doing it on a motorbike and the rules and regs are the same, You can take your vehicle all the way to singapore through malaysia if you like, Only places you cannot go are veitnam and burma., Laos you need to get the paperwork sorted before hand and i am not sure on it. As for safety, cambodia is absolutley safe, no different to Thailand in my book but just use your common sense as you would anywhere.

Hope this helps and have a great trip. :o

And... is it safe?

Thanks for any tips.

Hello there,

The answer to your question is yes, 100% you can take your own or rented/borrowed Vehicle to Cambodia, If the vehicle is borrowed you need a letter from the owner stating you have permission to take outside the country and a photo copy of the ID of this person. Take all registration papers for the car with you of course and fill out a tempory export at the land border, there is no charge, When you leave thailand you will need to purchase insurance on the cambodia side which is small fee, Like $20 but I have not done as yet, I can say this is 100% as I am going to be doing it myself soon, I was doing my research on it. I will personall doing it on a motorbike and the rules and regs are the same, You can take your vehicle all the way to singapore through malaysia if you like, Only places you cannot go are veitnam and burma., Laos you need to get the paperwork sorted before hand and i am not sure on it. As for safety, cambodia is absolutley safe, no different to Thailand in my book but just use your common sense as you would anywhere.

alesypalsy, Are you sure about this re Cambodia? Other posters have indicated that you are only permited to drive in the province that you enter , and that there is a fee per day to take your vehicle through.

And... is it safe?

Thanks for any tips.

Hello there,

alesypalsy, Are you sure about this re Cambodia? Other posters have indicated that you are only permited to drive in the province that you enter , and that there is a fee per day to take your vehicle through.

Cobber, You are reffering to laos, cambodia is part of some ASEAN thing, Dont ask me about that but they have regulations similar to europe with driving,, I have here a site for bike but i found this through one on cars, i did not save the car site but a bit of searching you may find it, The rules are the same for cars except in vietnam and burma, vietnam you can actually take a motorbike 175cc and under into the country. http://www.gt-rider.com/

The above is a fantastic site.

Have a good trip and please post how you found it here.

And... is it safe?

Thanks for any tips.

Hello there,

Cobber, You are reffering to laos, cambodia is part of some ASEAN thing, Dont ask me about that but they have regulations similar to europe with driving,, I have here a site for bike but i found this through one on cars, i did not save the car site but a bit of searching you may find it, The rules are the same for cars except in vietnam and burma, vietnam you can actually take a motorbike 175cc and under into the country. http://www.gt-rider.com/

The above is a fantastic site.

Have a good trip and please post how you found it here.

alesypalsy, Re Cambodia i dont think the rules are the same for cars as they are for bikes.

I just looked at this site www.amazing-thailand.com/kohkong.html (sory i cant do a link) and it indicated as i thought ,that you are restricted to driving in the province that you entered Cambodia in.

Sory if i seem a bit perdantic , but i would not want the o.p to think it is ok and then get a big shock at the border.