Body of British kidnap victim handed over to UK embassy in Iraq

News_Editor

Body of British kidnap victim handed over to UK embassy in Iraq

2012-01-21 10:52:43 GMT+7 (ICT)

BAGHDAD (BNO NEWS) -- The body of British bodyguard Alan McMenemy, who was kidnapped in the Iraqi capital in 2007 along with four other Britons, was handed over to the British Embassy in Baghdad on Friday, officials said.

McMenemy was among four security contractors who were kidnapped in downtown Baghdad in May 2007 along with computer programmer Peter Moore. The leader of the Shi'ite militia group behind the kidnappings said earlier this month that the four security contractors were killed when they attempted to escape.

"It is with great sadness that I can confirm that the British Embassy in Baghdad received a body today that has been identified as Alan McMenemy," British Prime Minister David Cameron said in a statement released by Downing Street. "My thoughts are with Alan's family and friends at this time. They have waited so long for his return and I hope that this will allow them to find some peace after an ordeal that no family should ever have to suffer."

The bodies of the three other security contractors, Jason Creswell, Jason Swindlehurst and Alan MacLachlan, were previously recovered in 2009. Moore, who was considered to be more important by his captors and held at a different location, was released in 2009. He said he had been tortured and beaten by members of the group, which was demanding the withdrawal of British troops from Iraq and the release of all Iraqi prisoners.

"Our families have suffered terrible uncertainty and distress over the past 4 years and 8 months," Roseleen McMenemy, the wife of Alan McMenemy, said in a statement on Friday. "We have worried about Alan every single minute of each waking day. We now know that we will shortly have Alan home again, this will allow us to properly grieve for him and we will draw some comfort from the fact that we have him home at last."

Roseleen McMenemy added: "I would like to thank my wider family, all our friends, colleagues, the many organizations and others too numerous to name who have stood with us over this most difficult of times. Without their support we would not have made it through these dark days."

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2012-01-21