Pickups Best To Buy And Best Service In Your Opinion

petercallen

I am seriously thinking about buying a dual cab pickup

The most popular here seems to be Toyota and Isuzu

I am interested in learning from people who own one which is the best brand to buy

Who gives the best service, With my current car they insisted in doing the services

before they were due mileage wise, it had to be serviced every 6 months even if

i did very small mileage, when i asked them to do a oil change and service they told

me i would lose my warranty so i ended up having the Auto transmission serviced

at 28K instead of 40K which as far as i am concerned was not necessary,

Do any of the dealers do services which are due mileage wise not time wise

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Main dealer servicing is so cheap here, it's almost churlish not to have them serviced every 6 months regardless of mileage to retain warranty validity.

Both our cars (2007 3.0D Fortuner 36,000Km and 2008 Honda Accord 2.4 (12,000) now out of warranty so get serviced once a year.

Back to your question, both are plentiful here but my choice would be the Vigo.

Edited by pagallim

Main dealer servicing is so cheap here, it's almost churlish not to have them serviced every 6 months regardless of mileage to retain warranty validity.

Both our cars (2007 3.0D Fortuner 36,000Km and 2008 Honda Accord 2.4 (12,000) now out of warranty so get serviced once a year.

Back to your question, both are plentiful here but my choice would be the Vigo.

I have the car serviced regularly but i dont want it over serviced

Driving around Thailand there seems to be more Toyota dealers and in smaller towns

I am thinking Vigo also for this reason, i do not use backyard mechanics they are fine

for older cars

There is a dedicated forum for your question.

Since i will be buying and having the vehicle serviced here i am interested in local expats opinions

There are a lot who own pickups here, If i was going to buy in Bangkok or Chang Mai i would post

on those forums, I previously posted on this forum asking about accommodation in Bangkok because

a lot of local expats travel there regularly, It was changed to the Bangkok forum and i only got one

answer which was from someone who lived in Pattaya, if it was left on this forum i believe i would have

got a lot more replies

I have to put in a good word for the Mitsubishi Triton. I bought a 4 wheel drive 4 door model in 2007 and have had no problems with it. It has great power and decent economy. You either like the styling or you don't (I do), but in my experience you could't ask for a more reliable vehicle. I like this diesel well enough to have considered the practicality of installing it in a boat.

I have to put in a good word for the Mitsubishi Triton. I bought a 4 wheel drive 4 door model in 2007 and have had no problems with it. It has great power and decent economy. You either like the styling or you don't (I do), but in my experience you could't ask for a more reliable vehicle. I like this diesel well enough to have considered the practicality of installing it in a boat.

I like the Tritons shape its easy to have serviced in Phuket

I am thinking more about when you do long distance trips and the available dealers then

I will be buying a 4 door but not necessary a 4x4 i do not think you need it here

2 wheel drive with a limited slip diff will go anywhere i have driven here

I have owned 3 x Vigo 3,0d4dauto 4x4 4 door and 3 x Fortuna 3,0d4d auto 4x4

Service at Toyta Pearl dealers and other Toyota dealers has been totally hasslfree during +300.000km on these vehicles. Except for scheduled services I have had no problems whatsoever

All Toyotas and most other brands need servicing every 6 months. As we have discussed previously, wear and tear is not only caused by milage, but by age and UV rays. Your auto and engine oil actually contains more polution at 6 months if only done 3k km locally as opposed to 30k km on the highways, and your fanbelts etc need inspection high or low milage. Brakefluid has a dengerously low boiling point at 2 years old, if car has been parked or used 200.000km

In addition in TH there are no public recalls. They are done quietly on schduled services

Toyota in Phuket, ad the fact of 3 Toyota dealers. Then its the secondhand value of Vigo. Its got 40% of all new sales, for a reason

However if performance, latest high tech and best crash safety is on your list, its hard to ignore the new Ford Ranger

I am thinking more about when you do long distance trips and the available dealers then

I will be buying a 4 door but not necessary a 4x4 i do not think you need it here

Some Mitsu dealers do an outstanding job. However fact is due to having a fraction of the sales Toyota has, there are less servicepoints and each servicepoint has less parts in stock

Resale value wise Vigo or Isuzu.

I personally prefer the Isuzu, I like the driving better and it is more stable, the Vigo is too light in the back IMO. The Isuzu dealer on Rassada Road services much better than Isuzu in town.

Service at Toyta Pearl dealers and other Toyota dealers has been totally hasslfree during +300.000km on these vehicles. Except for scheduled services I have had no problems whatsoever

All Toyotas and most other brands need servicing every 6 months. As we have discussed previously, wear and tear is not only caused by milage, but by age and UV rays. Your auto and engine oil actually contains more polution at 6 months if only done 3k km locally as opposed to 30k km on the highways, and your fanbelts etc need inspection high or low milage. Brakefluid has a dengerously low boiling point at 2 years old, if car has been parked or used 200.000km

In addition in TH there are no public recalls. They are done quietly on schduled services

Toyota in Phuket, ad the fact of 3 Toyota dealers. Then its the secondhand value of Vigo. Its got 40% of all new sales, for a reason

However if performance, latest high tech and best crash safety is on your list, its hard to ignore the new Ford Ranger

I service the car regularly, and do not use the car for short trips we use the bike for that

The 3 Toyota dealers are they not all the same company

Last time i had the car serviced they told me 2 hours, half a hour after entering the workshop

it was back out in the parking lot, when i asked if the car was ready they said no

When i pointed out the service was finished and the car was back outside they accepted

payment and i left

I personally prefer the Isuzu, I like the driving better and it is more stable, the Vigo is too light in the back IMO. The Isuzu dealer on Rassada Road services much better than Isuzu in town.

I have noticed a lot of new Isuzu's on the road lately, more than Toyota's

We will be checking both out and hopefully be allowed to test drive

Probably the Triton as well

Some Mitsu dealers do an outstanding job. However fact is due to having a fraction of the sales Toyota has, there are less servicepoints and each servicepoint has less parts in stock

That's what puts me of the Triton a bit the lack of dealers in out of the way places

I have noticed a lot of new Isuzu's on the road lately, more than Toyota's

We will be checking both out and hopefully be allowed to test drive

Probably the Triton as well

the new 2012 Isuzu finally has brakes on par with Vigo, Tirton and Navara. Sales are average 40% each, so Vigo and Izu share 80% of the market. For a decade or more

Still havent seen any Izu 2012 crash tests, 2011 Izu and older is a disaster, the passenger cage collapses at 55kmh, roof, floor, everything

Much, much more info available in Motoring

I service the car regularly, and do not use the car for short trips we use the bike for that

The 3 Toyota dealers are they not all the same company

Last time i had the car serviced they told me 2 hours, half a hour after entering the workshop

it was back out in the parking lot, when i asked if the car was ready they said no

When i pointed out the service was finished and the car was back outside they accepted

payment and i left

well at any garage the job is done when keys and docs have been returned to cashier. until then it is not ready despite mechanic done

Personally I love having service done here, as its done in 30minutes to 2 hours depending on milage/age/job. You get an exact appointment time, 4 guys start working on it, and theyr done in no time

Back home I needed to drop car at 7am and pick up after 4pm. Not to mention its almost free here

all 3 Toyota Phuket are Pearl companies

Mitsu 2 different companies, Izu same

I like the nshape its easy to have serviced in Phuket

t in PHUKETI will be buying a 4 door but not necessary a 4x4 i do not think you need it here

ii bought a Trton Plus, 4 door, in March last year 2 wheel drive version .175 bhp 2.5 turbo, deisel, i have driven most of the pick ups,Toyots,Ford ,Nissan etc..i have driven 9000 km in it, mostly long journeys..and in my opinion its the best value for money pick up on the market in PHUKET...

i bought mine fom the dealer on the by pass road on the way to Supercheap,very good srevice,good price and a gooxd service manager who speaks english..a freind of mine bought one exactly the same and hes an HGV driver in the UK,he loves it,hes done more than 15000 km in his.we are both experianced drivers..so far so goog..

Hey Pete,

Ford Ranger... Plenty of service centers around the country, not that I have had to use them apart from 1st 10K service.

I bought the 2.5 Open Cab, don't need 4x4 unless you live on a farm. Very good on long distance runs, pretty economical and comfortable.

Don't follow the herd :)

• Like 1

Hey Pete,

Ford Ranger... Plenty of service centers around the country, not that I have had to use them apart from 1st 10K service.

I bought the 2.5 Open Cab, don't need 4x4 unless you live on a farm. Very good on long distance runs, pretty economical and comfortable.

Don't follow the herd smile.png

well your pickups isnt made any more

I am looking forward to take delivery of the new Ranger 3,2 Wildtrack as soon as its released in TH.

But Ford has less than 1/3 of Toyotas service centers, and in some Provinces some of their "servicecenters" is a double garage with room for 2 vehicles. What they do have is a "Genuiene parts within 24hours warranty", best in Thailand.

Presently Ford Ranger XLT 2,2/150hp/375Nm, 6speed auto, 4 door is hard to beat on value in Th, 799k baht

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies, everyone seems happy with the vehicles they have bought

No bad reports from owners anyway, which is unusual

I will check out all the vehicles recommended, one thing which is a must for me

is ABS braking system and i think they will all be available with that

Most of the major manufacturers, especially the ones that are assembled here in Thailand dont make any bad pick ups,Thailand is one of the bigest manutacturer of pick ups in Asia...

ITS ALL ABOUT PERSONAL CHOICE...TOYOTA VIGOS are the nmber one best seller last year.. but the TRITON is the most improved and have now got a bigger chunk of the market..

Hi, we've had the Vigo for over 3 years done 140km of trouble free motoring, can't fault the Toyota, but i was close to temptation when checking out the new Ford ranger 2.2 auto at the local show in dan chang, suphanburi last week, I think they were offering it at 20k less than your price Kata, but I was a bit concerned about under power, although putting out 150hp is not too bad, highlighting its economy he said she would give 1600 km on a full tank,, impressive too ,,,although I cant believe that unless i assume the wife's granny is driving it,, hehe

ABS will increase the braking distance, if the driver knows what he is doing that is. EBD (Electronic Brake Distribution) or similar, so the braking power gets divided appropriately between the weels, is IMO more important here with the hilly and quite often wet and slippery roads.

• Like 1

That's what puts me of the Triton a bit the lack of dealers in out of the way places

you have 2 dealers,here in Phuket?

Well you asked- I have a 7 year old Ford Ranger and wouldn't buy another. Hate to buy Jap brands since they kill whales, but not impressed by Chevrolet either. Guess I will have to put up with the Ford a while longer.

I have owned 3 x Vigo 3,0d4dauto 4x4 4 door and 3 x Fortuna 3,0d4d auto 4x4.Service at Toyta Pearl dealers and other Toyota dealers has been totally hasslfree during +300.000km on these vehicles.

If you owned 6 new vehicles to run 300.000 Km that means you did only 50.000 Km per new vehicle.

Would you have expected anything else than hassle free with that kind of milage?

Well you asked- I have a 7 year old Ford Ranger and wouldn't buy another. Hate to buy Jap brands since they kill whales, but not impressed by Chevrolet either. Guess I will have to put up with the Ford a while longer.

All the pickups here are Japanese brands but now manufactured in Thailand

You know I have a Mitsubishi Triton Plus 4 door & I have been very impressed with it for it's power & handling which includes ABS, EBD. When I purchased it the reviews rated it number one out of all the pickups available here. There is now a new model Isuzu out but not sure if it is a dramatic step up from the previous version. I have a feeling Toyota are also bringing out a new model this year. You can get the missus to view the number of dealers nationwide on http://www.mitsubishi-motors.co.th/en/dealer-locator/index.php?c1=4