Getting A Tourist Visa In Savannakhet Laos

I just did a visa trip to Savannakhet Laos and decided to do it solo and using taxi / plane / Van and Tuk Tuk. I travelled to Savannakhet to get a double entry tourist visa. Went from Bkk to Ubon, by VIP van from Ubon to Mukdahan. Crossed the bridge into Laos and then by tuk tuk to a hotel that is 2 blocks from the Thai Embassy.

Getting to Laos was uneventful as flight and the reserved VIP van were both on time. Flew Nok air from Bkk to Ubon on the 6am flight. The VIP van from Ubon to Mukdahan was a large 10 seater grey people mover. The van was actually a service provided in conjunction with the Ploy Palace hotel in Mukdahan. The driver was perfect, never took any unnecessary chances/risks while over taking and the van travel time was 2.15 hours. This VIP van can be reserved by calling 042 631 111. The van leaves Ubon airport at 7.30am daily and you would need to book the 6am flight from Bangkok to catch the VIP van.

The hotel (Hoong Thip) I stayed at was less than spectacular. The room was large and the bed was comfortable. There was no WIFI in the room but was available if you wanted to sit in the hotel lobby to surf the net for free you could. Breakfast was included but the choice was limited, not a buffet. Both mornings I had a sandwich with a coffee. For hotels, I am sure better can be found and I would not stay here again.

The Thai consulate opened at 9am and I arrived minutes after it opened. I was number 19 in the queue. The line up moved with speed and only one person ahead of me was asked any questions. All that was need was the visa form, 2 photos, copy of information page from passport, passport and 2000 thb. The person accepting the applications scanned thru my passport very quickly and then just asked for the 2000 Thb. I have 16 visa stickers already in my passport, 3 are Thai tourist visa’s, some are from Laod and some from Cambodia. No issues handing in the applications. Was out of the consultate grounds by 9.20am

Was advised the visa/passport could be collected the next day at 2pm. This was true, as the gates opened at 2pm. They handed back the in the same order they collected them. Had my passport back in my hands at 2.10pm and was on my way with a double entry tourist visa.

Best place I fond for food was at the little restaurant the is attached to the Mekong Guest House that is located on the street that runs along the Mekong. It is about ½ mile from the Thai Consulate. The food is good, the prices are great and they serve Thai / Laos and Western food. Was stuffed for just 200 THB

The return trip home was smooth and had no issue, did the same trip as the outbound leg, but in reverse order. Only difference was the flight was with Air Asia leaving Ubon at 10:15 – This too was on time.

Of note – Thai Consulate only accepts visa applications from 9am to 11am Monday to Friday. This means you cannot leave Bangkok on a Monday morning at 6am and make it to Savannakher using my travel plan and be able to hand in your passport on the same day. It does call for a two night stay in Savannakhet.

Of note #2 – I use a Thai cell phone with a Thai cell number ( AIS ) and it did work everywhere I went in Savannakhet and the rates were the same as I am charged when I use the cell in Thailand.

Sunday January 16th

6am flight from Bkk to Ubon on Nok air– 1600 Thb

VIP Van from Ubon to Mukdahan – 350 Thb

Tuk tuk from Mukdahan to Friendship bridge – 100 Thb

Bus across the bridge – 50 Thb

Laos Entry Visa – 1500 Thb

Tuk tuk to Hotel in Savannekhet – 100 Thb

2 nights at Hoong Thip Hotel – 2 x 800 Thb

Double entry tourist visa – 2000 Thb

Tuk tuk back to Savannakhet Friendship bridge – 100 Thb

Bus across the bridge – 50 THB

Tuk tuk to Ploy Palace hotel in Mukdahan – 100 Thb

VIP van from Mukdahan to Ubon airport – 350

Flight on Air Asia from Ubon to Bkk on Air Asia – 1799 Thb

Arrived back in Bangkok on Tuesday night January 17th at 21:20

Happy Trails

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask

Lucky Lew

Great report Lew. I always like the Savannakhet Thai consul and the town. The people there (in the Thai consulate) spoke decent English and were polite as well. Even the toats in the restaurants across the road are nice and helpful for 20 baht or so.

Savannakhet is the next up-coming place for sure and prices for apts, houses and shop-houses are going up there as we speak. Lovely place and still close enough to the Mukdahan market in Thailand.

Nice, I just finished a month tour of north Lao, now in Udon for 2 weeks and then back into Lao heading south for a TR visa. Look forward to seeing what you reported happen for myself.

Thanks for the great and detailed information. Might have been a little cheaper to do with an agent but you didn't have to sit for a long mini bus ride there and back and had the freedom to do what you wanted so definitely worth paying the difference.

how is it faster using an agent and do you have a contact for one? Cheers

Thanks for the great and detailed information. Might have been a little cheaper to do with an agent but you didn't have to sit for a long mini bus ride there and back and had the freedom to do what you wanted so definitely worth paying the difference.

how is it faster using an agent and do you have a contact for one? Cheers

I do not really think they said faster but instead said cheaper

but in fact is it faster to use an agent/tour group

Using www.thaivisaservice.com you leave Sunday evening and

travel thru the night getting to Laos early Monday morning.

I choose not to use the group method as they travel by VIP van

thru the night and there is no way I will ever travel thru the night

by bus or by van,

• 5 months later...

hello

this is a really helpfull report for the future;

I am Belgium nationality but gave to go back to work again in Oman in the comig weeks

I am missing about 2 weeks to stay more in Thailand on the pasport ; normally I do this from pattaya to Cambodja (going in the morning - back late in the afternoon)

For the moment I am staying in Ubon Ratchathani - Is it also possible to cross the border in the UBON R. area ? for 2 week extention

Is there an agent or anybody experience in Ubon Rathathani

Maybe we can come together for a drink and talk about it ; the more friends the better right.

peter

The Chong Mek border crossing to Laos is about 70km east of Ubon.

AFAIK no agent in Ubon, just ask locals to get transport there.

As usual the Laos arrival visa is around THB1,500.-.

Upon entry into Thailand you will get 15days.